ESPN - Simmons/Ford trade idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    How is Gasol an upgrade over Bargnani? At the moment, they are roughly equal to each other. Bargnani is way better than Gasol at offense right now and will continue to in the future. Gasol might play a bit better defense and rebound like 3 more rebounds, but he is on the decline, so don't expect him to rebound less, score less, and play worse defense in the future. Bargnani has just gotten used to the Casey system and still has a couple years to reach his ceiling. Also, you think the Raptors have a chance at Allen? No offense, but what are you smoking? Firstly, Allen isn't gonna come when there are better offers such as the Heat. Unlike Nash, Allen actually cares about getting a championship. Secondly, we drafted Ross (SG/SF), so we don't need another SG.
    I'll keep this short
    1. Gasol is/was the #2/3 scoring option on a team that not including this year, has always made deep playoff runs. Bargnani does not have the same proven credentials, nor do I think he has the ability.
    2. gasol is the better defender and rebounds energetically.

so I would argue that gasol overall is the better player.

ray allen along with dwade support the argument that players should get paid to participate in the olympics. http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.c...y-in-olympics/ . saying ray allen doesn't care about being paid is something you are pulling out of your ass.

3. nash is 38, I would assume the reason for bringing him in is to compete right away. How do you plan on competing with an unproven rookie in the lineup?

Comment

I want nothing to do with world peace

Comment

jbml wrote: View Post
        I want nothing to do with world peace
        aha...I see what you did there.

In all seriousness, I am not down for this trade. We give up too much talent for a solid PF/C and a lunatic. Love MWP's game, but not so much MWP. The Raptors are in a better position not doing this trade.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
          I'll keep this short
          1. Gasol is/was the #2/3 scoring option on a team that not including this year, has always made deep playoff runs. Bargnani does not have the same proven credentials, nor do I think he has the ability.
          2. gasol is the better defender and rebounds energetically.

so I would argue that gasol overall is the better player.

ray allen along with dwade support the argument that players should get paid to participate in the olympics. http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.c...y-in-olympics/ . saying ray allen doesn't care about being paid is something you are pulling out of your ass.

3. nash is 38, I would assume the reason for bringing him in is to compete right away. How do you plan on competing with an unproven rookie in the lineup?
          And I'll keep this short:
          1. It's not hard to go deep into the playoffs when you have immense talents like Kobe (5x NBA Champion and 14x All-Star) and Bynum (2x NBA Champion and 1x All-Star) on your team. Bargnani has never really ever been surrounded by such talent so there absolutely no comparison there. It makes no sense to compare two players that are playing in two different scenarios.
          2. Gasol is better defensively and rebounds better like I said, but stats don't lie. Gasol is declining. His PPG are slowly declining and so is his FG%. Regardless of whether Gasol is better than Bargnani right now, Bargnani makes the most sense for the future.
          3. It doesn't not matter whether or not Ray Allen wants a championship or not or whether he wants a lot of money or not. It's freaking stupid and idiotic to think that the Raptors have a chance at Allen. It's beyond fan bias. It's absolutely idiotic to even think he would come! Allen has absolutely NO REASON to go to the Raptors and nor do we have a reason to overpay him to get him. So no just no!
          4. Nash is the best out of all of the major FAs that actually has a chance of coming to Toronto. BC is under a lot of pressure to make this a playoff team especially with his contract on its last year. BC knows that the fans have been waiting for 4 years for a playoff run. It's also idiotic for anyone to have the expectations of a championship next year. It's a matter of getting some recognition and credibility for a team that has been ridiculed for the past couple years. Nash will also help develop our young players into better players which is what he has done for many players in Phoenix. Signing Nash will also give us 2-3 years to find the PG of the future.

Comment

It all comes down to what are we hoping for.

if we want our team to compete at the championship for many years we need to spend crazy like lakers or build every piece from draft.

But for most teams it is a shot at championship for a year or two. Even OKC which tanked successive seasons with Durant will struggle to hold on to its talented roster next year. Most teams are willing to pay that steep prize for that small window at championship.

I say we go for Gasol, Nash and Iggy or Rudy even if it means losing our existing assets like BArgnani and Demar and future picks. I would take that one shot at glory as that is all we are going to get in the NBA ruled by David Stern and manipulated by big market teams.

Comment

Would love to have Gasol despite his high price but not for the players suggested in the trade. Bargs is developing nicely in Casey's system so spoiling that would be a mistake. Would not include him in the trade. Bargnani, Gasol and Nash starting together would immediately make us a threat. How about Steve Blake instead of World Peace? He would make a nice back up PG, I think.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
              X