View Poll Results: Who should start at SF for the Raptors next season?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • James Johnson / Linas Kleiza

3 8.33%
  • DeMar DeRozan

6 16.67%
  • Andre Iguodala

4 11.11%
  • Luol Deng

2 5.56%
  • Wilson Chandler

7 19.44%
  • Ersan Ilyasova

6 16.67%
  • Andrei Kirilenko

2 5.56%
  • Other

6 16.67%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors 2012-13 Starting SF, poll 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors 2012-13 Starting SF, poll 2.0

The thread for the first poll was started on June 6th (link:http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ye-AI-Gay-(36)). A lot has changed since then, so I figured now would be a good time to do an updated polling of the Republic, regarding the Raptors starting SF for next season.

Off the Market:
    Rudy Gay - with the release of OJ Mayo, it appears as though Memphis is committing to Gay
    Nicolas Batum - he has stated that he will only play for Minnesota or Portland

Options:
    James Johnson / Linas Kleiza - stick to the status quo of last season

Demar DeRozan - shift to SF, allowing Terrence Ross to start at SG

Andre Iguodala - trade with Philadelphia; 28/29 yrs next season, 12-13: $14.7M, 13-14: $15.9M (player option)

Luol Deng - trade with Chicago; 27 yrs next season, 12-13: $13.3M, 13-14: $14.3M

Wilson Chandler - trade with Denver; 24 yrs next season, 12-13: $7.4M, 13-14: $7.4M, 14-15: $7.4M, 15-16: $7.4M

Ersan Ilyasova - free agent signing; 25 yrs next season, likely around $10M per season

Andrei Kirilenko - free agent signing; 31/32 yrs next season, likely around $10M per season

Somebody else?

Post Thanks / Like

Ilyasova with Ross starting at SG
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Iguodala would be my first choice, with Ilyasova right behind him.

Post Thanks / Like

BC had made reference to starting season status quo and using "flexibility" as season progressed - Dec. 15- Feb. 15/trade deadline period.

Kirilenko doesn't interest me. To sign him means good bye to Bayless, Gray, Weems, TPE, and MLE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced Ilyasova is a SF. I say that in the same spirit I would about Josh Smith but I think Josh Smith is more SF than Ilyasova.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Chandler with the caveat he is all healed up. He can play both sg & sf and with Batum who may have just a bit more upside and is commanding 12-13 mill per, his contract is a good one at about 7.5 for the next 4 yrs. A protected 1st next year in exchange might do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn it all i just saw Chandler on the list now

i'd be happy with either/or.

whats the word on Chandler's knee (i think it was his knee?) though?
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

more impressed with the rebounds than points, but he's got a nice inside/outside game. i think he could translate to SF pretty well. he'd be especially effective in zone D next to bargs and val.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to throw some realism in my choice of Deng
    - Basically a toss up between Deng and AI, but Chicago may be more desperate to unload (since they are close to luxury tax)
    - Both Deng and AI have one all-star appearance, and both made second all defense team. But Deng is cheaper and might be easier to get.
    - Is a BC boy (Bryan drafted him originally)
    - Chicago is basically rebuilding/retooling this year without Rose
    - Chicago is losing out on Asik but with Deng traded to a team with cap space, they could match Asik's offer and get depth in their front court.
    - Deng can play defense (all second team last year) and can give you just under 20ppg
    - Still very young at 27, so can build with him after Nash leaves us (assuming we get Nash)
    - Won a sportsmanship award - I like classy people
    - Had wrist injury, but Thibodeau believes Deng will show up in camp without needing surgery. I'd take the gamble regardless.
    - Played under Thibodeau which means playing under Casey would be a lateral move for him.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    BC had made reference to starting season status quo and using "flexibility" as season progressed - Dec. 15- Feb. 15/trade deadline period.

Kirilenko doesn't interest me. To sign him means good bye to Bayless, Gray, Weems, TPE, and MLE.
    I've seen that train of thought too but I just think he's repeated "we need to upgrade at SF...at the 3" so many times that he can't start the season with JJ/LK. That doesn't mean it might not be the way to go. Maybe we wait until Philly decides Iggy is redundant, ZBo threatens to swallow Rudy Gay or Josh Smith remembers why he wanted out of Atlanta. After the joe johnson trade, anything is possible. Who do I want? Still Gay or AI. Who will it be? I think we'll all be rehashing this thread in not too long
    http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...8473%29/page15

Post Thanks / Like

BC says a lot of stuff
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i picked Chandler... i dont mind Ilyasova but i still have bad memories of the last turkish SF we signed as a UFA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    I've seen that train of thought too but I just think he's repeated "we need to upgrade at SF...at the 3" so many times that he can't start the season with JJ/LK. That doesn't mean it might not be the way to go. Maybe we wait until Philly decides Iggy is redundant, ZBo threatens to swallow Rudy Gay or Josh Smith remembers why he wanted out of Atlanta. After the joe johnson trade, anything is possible. Who do I want? Still Gay or AI. Who will it be? I think we'll all be rehashing this thread in not too long
    http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...8473%29/page15
    +1

October is still 3 months away, too.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I chose Ilyasova. We would have a huge lineup almost like Utah except with a good PG and SG. He's solid at rebounding which makes up for bargnani's-lack of.
    Not to mention we wouldn't have to give anything up either.
    I also wouldn't mind seeing Iggy or deng both are solid and better than Ilyasova but I just think he's a better fit. And we would have to give up something good to get them.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    I chose Ilyasova. We would have a huge lineup almost like Utah except with a good PG and SG.
    We're picking up a point guard and a shooting guard too??

ahhhhhhh see what I did there. Ya you see.

I chose Chandler, I'd be happy with Ilyasova but 10 mil sounds like a lot if it happens.

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    I chose Ilyasova. We would have a huge lineup almost like Utah except with a good PG and SG. He's solid at rebounding which makes up for bargnani's-lack of.
    Not to mention we wouldn't have to give anything up either.
    I also wouldn't mind seeing Iggy or deng both are solid and better than Ilyasova but I just think he's a better fit. And we would have to give up something good to get them.
    Who other than the PG is going to dribble the ball...
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    BC says a lot of stuff
    touche ...you know what I mean..I can't type the accent thing on this keyboard

Post Thanks / Like

more impressed with the rebounds than points, but he's got a nice inside/outside game. i think he could translate to SF pretty well. he'd be especially effective in zone D next to bargs and val.
    In this game, MIL is mostly playing small ball and Ilysaova is playing the 4 a lot.

If you go through his game log last year, 2 things stand out to me:

1) he put up ridiculous stat lines one game and disappeared or was very average in many others.
    2) he played PF a lot last year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...ersan-ilyasova

Maybe he and Bargnani can compliment each other - who knows.

But like someone else said, who is going to dribble the ball with a possible Nash, DD, Ersan, Bargs, JV/Amir/Gray lineup?

Post Thanks / Like

Nash probably
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nash probably
    Ya, is this a trick question. Nash dribbles and if he passes you the ball you better be shooting or giving it right back to him.

SUNS OFFENSE!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information