Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Post Thanks / Like

Link to story about Anderson trade from Orlando to New Orleans: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...-ryan-anderson

One line stands out as a perfect comparison to the Fields/NYK situation and why a S&T could/should still be pursued:

The Magic had the opportunity to match New Orleans' four-year, $36 million offer sheet, but declined.
    If NYK choose not to match the offer made by Toronto, they should put pride/spite aside and do what is in their best interest, which would be to facilitate a S&T deal that actually returns assets, rather than simply letting Fields walk for nothing in return.

A deal for a 2nd round pick and/or rights to Zubcic, in addition to the $3.15M TPE that would be created (50% of a $6.3M annual salary for Fields), would be beneficial to NYK and would cost them absolutely nothing. It seems like a no-brainer... but this is the NYK we're talking about ;-)

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think the Knicks are playing games but you never know... you know?

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

Colangelo said Knicks value Fields and are waiting on a few other things before making a call

Michael Grange Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange

In free agency you overpay to get a player and in restricted free agency you overpay a little more-- BC #Raptors #NBA

Ryan Wolstat Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

Colangelo: Knicks 50:50 o keeping Fields

Eric Koreen Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen

"The Knicks have informed me they are very interested in retaining Landry." 50/50 prop whether it gets matched, he says

Ian Begley ‏@IanBegley

@ekoreen reports that the Raptors GM says it's a '50/50' chance the Knicks match Landry Fields offer sheet. I've heard it's closer to zero

Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen

Overpay in free agency; more so in restricted free agency "We think ... there's going to be significant value" for Fields

Eric Koreen Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen

"I think I'm criticized for every contract I sign. So I just take it [with] the territory."

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_SI

Said while crossing fingers, presumably RT @michaelgrange Colangelo says #Knicks are "50-50" on matching Fields offer.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of twit-heads making fun of the idea of Knicks matching Fields offer. I place a lot of faith in Woj and here is what he says:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Agree with @FisolaNYDN and absolutely do not rule out Knicks matching Landry Fields offer sheet. They have a 3-year window to win now.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like fields and although he'd be overpaid I hope the knicks don't match. I think they may consider it but retaining Lin is costing a lot, they will be deep in the luxury tax if they decide they want to match fields aswell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    I like fields and although he'd be overpaid I hope the knicks don't match. I think they may consider it but retaining Lin is costing a lot, they will be deep in the luxury tax if they decide they want to match fields aswell
    There is word that Lin was a little upset that the Knicks did not reach out and try to make an offer for him, rather they just waited for a team to sign him so they could match. Maybe keeping his buddy in town will be a nice olive branch to say we value you and see you as part of the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    A lot of twit-heads making fun of the idea of Knicks matching Fields offer. I place a lot of faith in Woj and here is what he says:
    If Fields is matched, I'd be all for the Raps throwing the same money at Mayo. And of course I'm still all for pursuing a trade for Gay or Iggy, regardless of Fields or Mayo being added!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    If Fields is matched, I'd be all for the Raps throwing the same money at Mayo. And of course I'm still all for pursuing a trade for Gay or Iggy, regardless of Fields or Mayo being added!
    Hold the Mayo for me please.

Bad pun but the truth nonetheless.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hold the Mayo for me please.

Bad pun but the truth nonetheless.
    Same here. Not really a fan of Mayo, but thats me.

Wont be heartbroken if Fields doesnt sign here either, i think they should try to make a play for a more scoring, athletic wing.
    Everybody has a price.

Raptors Republic All-Star brothersteve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

“The Knicks have informed me that they are very interested in retaining Landry and at this stage the best I could get from them in terms of a commitment about whether or not the deal would be matched was a 50/50 proposition quote unquote,” said Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “They are trying to work through some other scenarios to see if they can make it viable to sign him.”

New York Knicks Consider Matching Fields
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Raptors Republic Rookie sportsfan929's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Knicks could match Landry Fields offer

Twitter : https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/statu...26277450772481

Rotoworld's take : http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=183434&spln=1

I don't know whether i would be happy or sad. Sad because Fields is a quality player, happy because I'm not convinced it was the greatest contract.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Raptors Republic Rookie sportsfan929's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If this is true it could give momentum to the Batum S&T rumours. Think positive!

Post Thanks / Like

Fields has signed Toronto's offer sheet:

RaptorsPR‏@RaptorsPR
    ‪#Raptors‬ officially sign Landry Fields to offer sheet. Knicks will have until Saturday to match Toronto's offer.

Any hope for a S&T deal with NYK is now officially dead. Looks like Toronto will lose the Barbosa TPE and the MLE, if NYK doesn't match.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jul 11th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What a waste of precious assets. No offense, but Landry Fields? The TPE could have been used for a trade & MLE, well another player.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    What a waste of precious assets. No offense, but Landry Fields? The TPE could have been used for a trade & MLE, well another player.
    have you heard anyone better who wants to join us badly?
    no?
    Fields will do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Looks like Toronto will lose the Barbosa TPE and the MLE, if NYK doesn't match.

I'm sure this has been explained 1,000x already, so please forgive my ignorance, but why is it we lose both of these exceptions?
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I'm sure this has been explained 1,000x already, so please forgive my ignorance, but why is it we lose both of these exceptions?
    Someone has not been reading the threads!

Basically you can't use cap space under the cap to sign players and then use exceptions that allow you to go over the cap.

It is one or the other.

Adding exceptions to committed payroll takes payroll over the salary cap therefore to use cap space below $58M they have to forfeit the exceptions.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone has not been reading the threads!

Basically you can't use cap space under the cap to sign players and then use exceptions that allow you to go over the cap.

It is one or the other.

Adding exceptions to committed payroll takes payroll over the salary cap therefore to use cap space below $58M they have to forfeit the exceptions.
    Right. Thanks!

Haha, and I have been reading; Just not understanding apparently!
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    have you heard anyone better who wants to join us badly?
    no?
    Fields will do.
    The TPE could have been used to acquire another player & the MLE would net us someone of Fields' caliber.

Of course, I'm not being specific. I'm simply asking myself: "Is Landry Fields worth the $19M we are going to pay him & also lose our exceptions? When BC meant flexibility after trading Barbosa, I was imagining someone like Iguodala or Gay in a trade perhaps using the TPE. I guess it's just a downer that at the end of this all, it's Landry Fields.

I think he's a good wing player, maybe fits the secondary wing position if a team had a star forward, but seeing that we have DeMar, Ross, Kleiza and James Johnson, I was not looking for another rotation player.

To address your question, I seriously doubt players want to sign with Toronto straight up, but we can for sure trade for them. Having the salary flexibility not being tied up to Fields would have been spent on someone better? I guess I just can't accept it's Landry Fields (our prized free agency signing).
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind, we also acquire her too fellas.

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread Information