OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleepz wrote: View Post
    I am not a GM and either is Chad Ford but have you heard any reports at all of any team offering Fields a contract let alone a 3 year $20 million dollar deal?

As for the comment of him being not as good as Batum that is my humble opinion. Perhaps you disagree but as our friend Nash has indicated, money is respect in the NBA and there has been more respect offered to Batum apparently than there has been for Fields.
    I wouldn't call this offer sheet a typical attempt to sign an RFA. This has more to do with eliminating the NYK from Nash contention than it does with Fields.

Without this offer, NYK could include Fields in a S&T for Nash, while offering Nash up to $8M per season. Now Fields can't be included in any trade and the most NYK can offer Nash is $3M (or S&T for scrap players).

Batum was my 2nd choice after Gay for the Raptors to pursue, in the $8-10M per season range. Once the price went up to $14M, I think that's too much. I'd gladly offer $8-10M for potential, but if I'm paying $14M, I want the player to be a proven star! Batum has not yet proven to be worthy of that kind of money.

Comment

• pakdawgie wrote: View Post
      I don't see how they lose their Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception. The bi-annual I realize they used on Forbes. But they are not a tax-payer and well under the luxury tax threshold.
      Even if you are under the salary cap you have a MLE to use. To use your cap space under the salary cap you have to renounce the MLE.

They lost the MLE because they used it to sign Fields thereby maintaining their rights over Bayless, Weems, and Gray (plus Wright - lol).

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
        I think even if you could do that, you'd never work as a GM again. Good luck talking to any agents.
        That would be like what's his name with the big contract who walked away from a Portland offer

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          1) Fields has always been a good defender.
          2) stats indicate the Knicks are better on the floor, his win share is 60%, his oppPER per 48mins is 15.2 at SG and 13.8 at SF.
          3) over one game? Definitely not. Over the course of 66 games? I think it certainly is relevant and, yes, does translate to wins with sufficient minutes played per game.

I still can't respond either to the money invested into a role player? What does that mean? If it is what I think it means, check post 90. Cost of doing business in the NBA with players not on rookie deals. I think the message you are conveying is: JJ/Kleiza is not a good option, overpaying Batum is not a good idea, taking on an overpaid veteran like Gay or AI is not a good idea, paying for a 24 year old who seems to fit the mold of Casey's system is not a good idea either. Got ya. Raps should fold and head to Seattle.

Last point: check post 90.
          Lol, my message had nothing to do with the Raps other options at SF. My comment had only to do with paying $20 million dollars to Landry Fields. I suggested nothing about other options for the Raptors so the whole `fold and head to Seattle stuff is you and your over-dramatization.`

It will be interesting to see how much of a lock-down defender Fields is next year.

Comment

• Will everybody slow the ^&*%$^& down. I can't keep up

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
              Why can I not?

Look at their respective numbers since they have been in the league.

What basis would be your argument for indicating that Fields has equal or more potential than Batum?
              Well, if you want to take that route, Fields put up comparable numbers to Batum last season in what was considered a "down year" for Fields, and played less minutes.

Comment

But the MLE is for teams over the salary cap. The Raps have used their MLE on this deal: $5M, $5M, $9M poison pill.
                I am thinking we didn't because we had to go the $6.67 route. Thusly used our cap space ??

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                  No can seem to answer everytime i ask what makes Batum a special player.....

Im not being sarcastic, i really want to know, because i really cant see it.
                  Young vet. Multi tool player that has size and atheticism to defend the 2 and 3 spots on the floor. Solid efficiency and has improved every year he has been in the league.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I wouldn't call this offer sheet a typical attempt to sign an RFA. This has more to do with eliminating the NYK from Nash contention than it does with Fields.

Without this offer, NYK could include Fields in a S&T for Nash, while offering Nash up to $8M per season. Now Fields can't be included in any trade and the most NYK can offer Nash is $3M (or S&T for scrap players).

Batum was my 2nd choice after Gay for the Raptors to pursue, in the $8-10M per season range. Once the price went up to $14M, I think that's too much. I'd gladly offer $8-10M for potential, but if I'm paying $14M, I want the player to be a proven star! Batum has not yet proven to be worthy of that kind of money.
                    $14M is Deng money. I'd rather have Deng than Batum. At least I know what I'm going to get with Deng. He may be 4 years older, but is still only 27. Deng/AI over Batum @ $14M!

Comment

• Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                      I was being sarcastic.
                      We need a sarcastic icon! The smiley face doesn't do it. When we're done with Nash and Fields and JV's ROY award, let's work on that.

Comment

He is playing with Houston's summer league team.
                        shit, i didn't see that
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                          I don't think you understand how win shares are calculated.

I don't see how the stats support your claim. The average PER always hovers around 15. His oppPER indicates that he'll be an average or marginally above average defender at best.
                          +/- is one of the most useless stats in basketball. It's more dependent on the quality of a player's teammates than any other stat.

Case in point: Josh Harrellson has a 8.5 +/-
                          Key phrase was 'sufficient minutes played'.

Harrellson doesn't quite meet the parameters of that phrase.

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
                            I am thinking we didn't because we had to go the $6.67 route. Thusly used our cap space ??
                            I'm pretty sure this falls under the Gilbert Arenas provision.

It is same principle as what Houston is using to try and get Asik.

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
                              All contract gripes aside, I'm not sure where this Fields-is-a-bad-defender stuff is coming from. I'm not going to throw out any stats, just a few observations to quell some of the vitriol.

1) Fields is a 3. He's got SF size, lacks SG speed, and rebounds like a forward. Everything about his game indicates that he should be played at the 3, not the 2. As a result, making him play the 2 (see: C. Anthony) is going to make it tougher for him on defense.

2) I watched a decent amount of knicks games. Fields was consistently asked to guard the best wing on the floor (whether that was to keep Anthony out of foul trouble, or just because Fields was the better defender, who knows). Again, that is going to (especially statistically) influence his perceived defensive abilities.

3) Nothing fancy here: he passes the eyeball test. Watch some footage -- the guy is a solid defender. Moves his feet, closes out well, rotates well, uses his weight effectively, boxes out well etc.
                              At no time did I indicate that Fields was a poor defender. I simply responded to the notion that he is a lock-down defender which is not true and a huge exaggeration.

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
                                Will everybody slow the ^&*%$^& down. I can't keep up
                                for real... everytime i click on the next page, another page is added to the total pages

Comment

Working...
                                X