OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeeZ wrote: View Post
    he will be an EXCELLENT player in this league.
    I would be SHOCKED if JJ ever made an all star team. And one of the side-effects of being excellent is being a perennial all star. But don't get me wrong though, I hope that he could be improve to be that kind of player.
    Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

• Grunwald said little has changed on the Landry Fields, Jeremy Lin offer sheet fronts, although he said Knicks want both back but the press conference was not the time or place to discuss it.

“We’ve been told he (Lin) has received an offer sheet from the Houston Rockets. We’re waiting to see that offer sheet. I think Houston had some things to get through first in terms of timing. But like Landry Fields, Jeremy Lin, those are two young players that we’d like back here. We’ll make a final determination when we need to make that determination. Now is not the time.”
      htp://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/knicks_gm_hoping_experience_pays_3RrRZpkwecdZdS8Hd 7DGXL#ixzz20SdU6I8f

Comment

• I'm already used to Landry becoming a raptor, so they better not match!

Comment

• Woodson seems to have distanced himself from Fields. According to an NBA source, the moment free agency began, the Knicks never made Fields an offer and were more interested in thrusting him into sign-and- trades — with Phoenix, Dallas and others.

Asked about matching Fields’ offer sheet from Toronto, Woodson said, “As it stands right now, it’s about the guys we’ve already made the commitment to and get them where they need to be.’’

General manager Glen Grunwald was more diplomatic.

“We haven’t reached any decision,’’ Grunwald said, adding the club was looking at “what other alternatives might be available to us.’’

The Knicks believe Fields is at his best in the up-tempo attack former coach Mike D’Antoni employed, and his outside shot isn’t getting better. It may be time for Spike Lee to retire Fields’ No. 6 jersey and perhaps don the No. 4 — which White will wear. It’s also the number Nate Robinson, a former dunk champ, wore.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...#ixzz20VgsVbyn
          I hope they do not match. The more I think about the Raptors needs/areas of improvement and what Fields is capable of doing, I like the signing. I do not like the contract but while it is no doubt overpaying, I don't think it is by a ridiculous amount in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

• This is a bizzarro world. The raps get lambasted for making that offer and now, if you look at the trend of ny media (fwiw), it looks like he's going to be matched. Crazy. I'd better head over to the "plan b" thread.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I hope they do not match. The more I think about the Raptors needs/areas of improvement and what Fields is capable of doing, I like the signing. I do not like the contract but while it is no doubt overpaying, I don't think it is by a ridiculous amount in the grand scheme of things.
              I like Fields too. I don't think by any means that we've completed our search for a future SF, but he's talented enough and has the potential to be a good future piece of the puzzle. Also, I think he's a pretty good fit for the current lineup.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

• Lin's original offer was 4 year 29 million with 2 backloaded years of about 10 million. Now the offer sheet that was signed was 3 year 24 million with 1 backloaded year of 15 million. Since Knicks will match theyll have to pay an additional 5 million more than they expected if they match fields too in the 3rd year. I know they don't care much about money but they gotta draw the line. No way they're matching fields now

Comment

• tucas wrote: View Post
                  Lin's original offer was 4 year 29 million with 2 backloaded years of about 10 million. Now the offer sheet that was signed was 3 year 24 million with 1 backloaded year of 15 million. Since Knicks will match theyll have to pay an additional 5 million more than they expected if they match fields too in the 3rd year. I know they don't care much about money but they gotta draw the line. No way they're matching fields now
                  Lin's deal was also only partially guaranteed in year 3. They have made it now a fully guaranteed 3 year/$25M offer. It is only an $8.33 cap hit per year to HOU but it would be $5M year 1, $5.225M year 2, and $15M year 3 cap hit for New York.

Honestly though, I don't think this change in the deal makes any difference whatsoever for NY on whether they keep Fields or not.

Comment

• What do you guys think BC will do should the Knicks match ?

Throw the money at OJ Mayo ? I just have this feeling that the Raptors are not content with what they have. There's a log jam in the wings & bigs & Jose's situation as well. A lot can change. Too bad I'll miss out on it since I'm going on vacation.
                    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• For those thinking getting Fields is a mistake....why are the Knicks thinking hard about matching inspite of getting into the luxury tax? Must be a shitty player or they like his acting skills or....

Yes he will be making more than the going rate but that is the cba, the nba and he got lucky because of the Nash circumstances. Hard as it maybe we need to separate the money from the player sometimes. I have a similar mental block about Gay. Fields is not top tier but will be a fine asset to this team. Besides anytime we can screw with the Knicks is a fine time with me.

Comment

• The raptors need at least one bad contract. Just so all the fans can dream about all the free cap space that we can have the year it comes off the books. That is just how things work. I am just glad it is Fields and what he brings rather than Barbosa playing hero ball.

Comment

• Pill wrote: View Post
                          The raptors need at least one bad contract. Just so all the fans can dream about all the free cap space that we can have the year it comes off the books. That is just how things work. I am just glad it is Fields and what he brings rather than Barbosa playing hero ball.
                          i am liking the way contacts are being given out this year. i like how the cap hit is the average of all the years but the money off at the end is a large sum.

from what we have seen teams are now loading up with capspace to spend all in one year to give themselves a "window" to compete. they blow all that money and use the poison pill offer to grab players from other teams, where before the money was an even rate for all the years, now you just guess at which average yearly payment will the other team not be able to pay and put all the money at the end of the contract, leaving you with a massive expiring at the end of the term.

i think this cba is going to have a lot of player movement and really put the focus of team building on the shoulders of the gm. teams like okc will come and go. i think that teams that have a long standing game style, san antonio, will benefit from this the most. these teams will plug holes and keep chugging along while other teams continuously swing for the fences.

hopefully this is what casey and bc are planning. get the system down and then stay with that style and choose players to fit it.

edit: using okc not from a talent standpoint but from gameplay. teams without half court sets will find it harder to compete with the teams that are built with a stronger system foundation.
                          Last edited by Miekenstien; Sat Jul 14, 2012, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• Anybody know if theres a deadline to when the knicks can match/decline the offer to Fields?

Comment

• Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
                              Anybody know if theres a deadline to when the knicks can match/decline the offer to Fields?
                              Isn't it saturday? wait thats today..
                              Somebody confirm this lol

Comment

• Fields...

I might be the only one who hopes that knicks do match it...
                                This franchise doesen't need more avg players getting way overpayed,go get Rudy Gay,Andre Igudala,Tyreke Evans,guys who are all star calliber players.
                                "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                                My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Working...
                                X