OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if BC's move for Fields is motivated by the acquisition of Nash and Nash chooses another team prior to July 11th, could BC simply not give Fields a formal offer sheet on July 11th? Nothing is official before July 11th, it's simply all verbal agreements. It's not like the Raptors would absolutely be stuck with Fields if Nash doesn't choose Toronto, right? I don't really get what Hollinger is talking about...
    I think Chad Ford is just "twitter-headed". He is so busy reading and cranking out 140 character notes that he's not thinking. I am pretty sure that Colangelo has thought it through, and he will not be stuck with Fields and without Nash unless he wants to.

Comment

• Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
      More from Ford:

Source - Click here
      Diabolical. ha, ha, ha

Comment

• No this completely ignores the Calderon amnesty option which frees up $10.5 million. That said some of this room would be taken up by the 2012 draft picks. There is also the MLE option.
        I 'll agree with the amnesty, but I think the exemptions are gone except for this one

ROOM MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only to teams that drop far enough below the cap to use cap room, and lose their Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level and Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions (see question number 26). This exception cannot be used if the team has already used the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions. This exception becomes available once the team salary drops far enough that the team loses its other exceptions, and expires following the last day of the regular season.
        l

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
          1) When Woodson took over did you see Fields turn into a lock-down defender? Shumpert perhaps but not Fields.
          2) What do the stats indicate? Once again please show me how he is a lock-down defender
          3) + and - are cool but does it translate to wins?

For the 1 and a half years that he was playing for DÀntonio and an offensive minded squad where was his offensive production? Anthony killed it. Right.

You still can`t respond either to the money invested into a role player.

Fields is a role player and I do not see these type of contracts being handed out to these type of dudes unless they are bigs.

1) Fields has always been a good defender.
          2) stats indicate the Knicks are better on the floor, his win share is 60%, his oppPER per 48mins is 15.2 at SG and 13.8 at SF.
          3) over one game? Definitely not. Over the course of 66 games? I think it certainly is relevant and, yes, does translate to wins with sufficient minutes played per game.

I still can't respond either to the money invested into a role player? What does that mean? If it is what I think it means, check post 90. Cost of doing business in the NBA with players not on rookie deals. I think the message you are conveying is: JJ/Kleiza is not a good option, overpaying Batum is not a good idea, taking on an overpaid veteran like Gay or AI is not a good idea, paying for a 24 year old who seems to fit the mold of Casey's system is not a good idea either. Got ya. Raps should fold and head to Seattle.

Last point: check post 90.

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
            I`d rather Batum who I know can take his game to the next level.

I will always take potential difference makers over a role player any day of the week. I`d also rather overpay for a talent that has all-star potential (some may disagree) in Batum than a glorified role player in Fields.

Don`t get me wrong, Fields is a decent player but a 3 year 20 million dollar commitment is too much.
            No can seem to answer everytime i ask what makes Batum a special player.....

Im not being sarcastic, i really want to know, because i really cant see it.

Comment

• Re the S&T posts...I get the vibe that some at least are under the impression that this is necessary in order to swing the deal and Nash is bound by a transaction without his implicit agreement. He is a UFA and it is his choice...period. We are assuming that he would like to have the Suns benefit in his departure. Just because NY & the Suns come to an agreement on a S&T does not mean Nash has to go there. As usual the Knicks seem to feel they have an entitlement on the FA they have an interest in...eg LBJ. In a way I was glad he blew them off. Of course Chad and the boys perpetuate this.

Comment

• Hold the phone, Knicks are now going after one of our own as a rebuttal?

Chris Broussard wrote:
                Cleveland, New York have shown interest in Raptors' restricted free agent Sonny Weems, sources say.
                Source - Click here

Comment

• Take him! Please!
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• good stuff...solid glue guy, always been a fan of his on court tenacity and off court hilarity. exciting times!

Comment

• Take Weems. Who cares?

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        Take Weems. Who cares?
                        I was being sarcastic.

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
                          With the Field's offer being made with the Gilbert Arenas provision and thus forcing us into the 6.67 yearly cap hit (which would be above the mid level exemption), this may lead to the end of the rest of our exemptions including the TPE and our Bird right's.

Combined with the Nash numbers of 12 mil + 6.67+ 41 mil (already on our books)gives a total of 59.7 mil which is very close to what should be the soft cap number.

If these 2 deals go down that may very well be it.
                          You are likely correct.

This deal means no more TPE and MLE - although I've been wrong a couple of times today so please correct if wrong here too.

However, Raps still have amnesty clause, Bayless, Weems, and Gray rights. Plus there is now a log jam on the wing and PF.

This is likely the only free agent transaction that is not a sign and trade.

Comment

• Can someone do a quick salary summary for me? Raptors have made qualifying offers to bayless and weems. Assuming those offers go through and fields offer sheet goes through, along with JV, Ross' and Acy's contracts, what is our cap space pre calderon amnesty? we should have at least 2mil left i believe in order to sign nash to the 36 mil deal?

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but if BC's move for Fields is motivated by the acquisition of Nash and Nash chooses another team prior to July 11th, could BC simply not give Fields a formal offer sheet on July 11th? Nothing is official before July 11th, it's simply all verbal agreements. It's not like the Raptors would absolutely be stuck with Fields if Nash doesn't choose Toronto, right? I don't really get what Hollinger is talking about...
                              I think even if you could do that, you'd never work as a GM again. Good luck talking to any agents.

Comment

• i guess Machado might be getting a call after all
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X