Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

calm down ladies.

shut down your work computers and go home.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Landry can play SF, Derozan is safe

Nash, Bayless
    Derozan, Ross
    Fields, Johnson
    Bargs, Ed
    Val, Amir

Im a big fan of starting next year with this roster.
    Abso-frickin'-Lutely. He's great at SF. Great on D - and rebounds the ball well. Forget strategy (to get Nash), this is a brilliant move. DD is super safe. Thank you Carmelo and Amare. Die, super teams, die.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Katman wrote: View Post
    my next question is > Where are we trading DD to?
    Maybe the knicks or suns

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol they can have weem's

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    calm down ladies.

shut down your work computers and go home.
    at 3:30? ..where do you work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Abso-frickin'-Lutely. He's great at SF. Great on D - and rebounds the ball well. Forget strategy (to get Nash), this is a brilliant move. DD is super safe. Thank you Carmelo and Amare. Die, super teams, die.
    +1 exactly what I was thinking

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    I would like this lineup don't get me wrong....but fields can't really shoot the 3. So we'll have DD and fields who can't spread the floor.

I would rather have Ilyasova, or trade DD for a 2 who can shoot

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Fields is a 2

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    ...I know it is just one year but this is not the prudent or responsbile way of managing a team or trying to build a real contender.
    Let me preface this by saying I am not specifically directing this post at you, but at these kind of comments.

I don't know who the Raptors targeted, aside from Nash, but it is already clear that all of the major free agents are not heading to Toronto. All of the UFA's have already put out pretty clear indications of the 2-3 teams they will entertain offers from. TO is high on the list of "destinations not mentioned."

Despite all the Raps fans talk about Davis' potential, Derozan's potential, Amir's potential it is also pretty clear that Bargs and JV are the only desired players on the roster. And to give them up means the Raps are starting over unless they get back more then they give up. Quite frankly, pro teams with even average management don't get fleeced that often.

In a free and unrestricted market, values of commodities tend to reach equilibrium. Players are commodities. So any talk of "I wouldn't pay more than X dollars for a SF, a PG or a C" is just smoke. You must pay what you must pay or watch the players you want disappear into other teams rosters.

So given all that (if you agree with my little summary), I am wondering what "... the prudent or responsbile way of managing a team or trying to build a real contender" is?

We know the Raptors have had to overpay for US born players to come here, unless they took a detour through Europe first (Anthony Parker and Antonio Davis for example), and yet when the Raptors have chased European or South american players the management gets criticized for being "Euro-centric."

All that is left is the draft. So how are the Raptors supposed to improve through the crap shoot that we call the NBA draft? Obviously, they simply have to have scouting staff and player analysis team members who are significantly better than the staff on the other 29 NBA teams. And then have that analysis staff be right at least 75% of the time. that way they can upgrade their roster with 2 good players (for the position they were drafted) in every three years. In other words, they could significantly improve their starting five in only 7.5 years.

Is that what is meant by "prudent management?" I didn't think so. I guess what is meant is management that actually made some of the moves we kind of fantasize about them making, even though there is no way in hell of any of them actually being made. Or maybe what is meant by prudent management is making those 2 or 3 moves every year, out of the 60 that are made, that seem to come late in the season and are judged, with all the accuracy of hindsight, to have been brilliant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    I thought Fields is a 2
    He can definitely play the 3 though

Post Thanks / Like

he rebounds like a 3 (6 boards a game)

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My breakdown of the contract:

$4M - worthy contract
    $1M - overpayment for RFA
    $1M - screw you NY and back off Nash
    $333k - potential to be better than what he has shown

$6.3M annual salary

BTW: his contract is 3 years and $19M, not original 3 years and $20M. Only a million but a million is a million.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    My breakdown of the contract:

$4M - worthy contract
    $1M - overpayment for RFA
    $1M - screw you NY and back off Nash
    $333k - potential to be better than what he has shown

$6.3M annual salary

BTW: his contract is 3 years and $19M, not original 3 years and $20M. Only a million but a million is a million.
    Nice breakdown! And that's $1M cheaper on average per season than Chandler, who is the type of player that Fields could emulate/become. I already think he's sort of a 'Chandler-lite' type player, now he just has to improve his defense (enter Casey) and 3pt shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Nice breakdown! And that's $1M cheaper on average per season than Chandler, who is the type of player that Fields could emulate/become. I already think he's sort of a 'Chandler-lite' type player, now he just has to improve his defense (enter Casey) and 3pt shooting.
    3pt shooting has a LOT to do with the PG. Fields playing with Nash or Calderon are for sure to see an uptick in their percentage because they both know, how, where and when to put that ball right in your shooting pocket

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Chandler comparisons. I was quite big on him or gallinari as our starting SFs next season.

But I haven't seen Fields taking a lot of jumpshots. he is a cutter with an inside game. he might be worthwhile in a picknroll.
    This is from my very limited memory of NY games and highlight reels.

Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    at 3:30? ..where do you work?
    University :P

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    I would like this lineup don't get me wrong....but fields can't really shoot the 3. So we'll have DD and fields who can't spread the floor.

I would rather have Ilyasova, or trade DD for a 2 who can shoot
    He shot .390+ in his rookie year. Dropped like a stone last year. Speculate as to the reasons, but he *was* playing with Carmelo as the primary playmaker and no real PG to speak of for most of the year. I'd give more likelihood to his returning to 2010-11 form with Nash than I would put stock in last year's numbers.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    ... I'd give more likelihood to his returning to 2010-11 form with Nash than I would put stock in last year's numbers.
    With a full training camp, and a GM intent on demonstrating he didn't make a big mistake (makes sure Fields gets the coaching help he needs in off-season) there is no reason he can't get back to or improve on his rookie campaign. He was an efficient scorer. near 10 pts and 7 rb per game. Not far off the mark for $6.3 million a year. I expect improvement just from playing with Nash, as you say. That should help his confidence and lead to actual improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    I am not a GM and either is Chad Ford but have you heard any reports at all of any team offering Fields a contract let alone a 3 year $20 million dollar deal?
    It's like deja vu all over again...... Just like I said at the end of the season, it's 2006-2007 revisited. Back to the future baby!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    It's like deja vu all over again...... Just like I said at the end of the season, it's 2006-2007 revisited. Back to the future baby!
    What 24 year old with potential that fits an area of need did BC sign in 2006-2007?

But, seriously, I do get your point. It will be interesting to see what else happens this off season. Without serious organic growth and multiple breakout years (AB, DD, ED, JJ, TR, JV, AJ), or other trades/transactions, the Raps might be seriously limited in how far they can go in the playoffs - assuming they get there of course.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming Nash stays steady
    Assuming Demar improves
    Assuming Bargs continues his 13-game performance of last season
    Assuming Val comes within inches of his hype
    Assuming Ross can shoot
    Assuming Fields returns or improves from his rookie performance
    Assuming no one else regresses,

We have a very very formidable and improving team. Many assumptions, but all possibilities. This is a team to watch out for in the East.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information