No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• he rebounds like a 3 (6 boards a game)
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• My breakdown of the contract:

$4M - worthy contract
      $1M - overpayment for RFA
      $1M - screw you NY and back off Nash
      $333k - potential to be better than what he has shown

$6.3M annual salary

BTW: his contract is 3 years and $19M, not original 3 years and $20M. Only a million but a million is a million.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        My breakdown of the contract:

$4M - worthy contract
        $1M - overpayment for RFA
        $1M - screw you NY and back off Nash
        $333k - potential to be better than what he has shown

$6.3M annual salary

BTW: his contract is 3 years and $19M, not original 3 years and $20M. Only a million but a million is a million.
        Nice breakdown! And that's $1M cheaper on average per season than Chandler, who is the type of player that Fields could emulate/become. I already think he's sort of a 'Chandler-lite' type player, now he just has to improve his defense (enter Casey) and 3pt shooting.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Nice breakdown! And that's $1M cheaper on average per season than Chandler, who is the type of player that Fields could emulate/become. I already think he's sort of a 'Chandler-lite' type player, now he just has to improve his defense (enter Casey) and 3pt shooting.
          3pt shooting has a LOT to do with the PG. Fields playing with Nash or Calderon are for sure to see an uptick in their percentage because they both know, how, where and when to put that ball right in your shooting pocket
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• I like the Chandler comparisons. I was quite big on him or gallinari as our starting SFs next season.

But I haven't seen Fields taking a lot of jumpshots. he is a cutter with an inside game. he might be worthwhile in a picknroll.
            This is from my very limited memory of NY games and highlight reels.

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
            at 3:30? ..where do you work?
            University :P

Comment

• BallaBalla wrote: View Post
              I would like this lineup don't get me wrong....but fields can't really shoot the 3. So we'll have DD and fields who can't spread the floor.

I would rather have Ilyasova, or trade DD for a 2 who can shoot
              He shot .390+ in his rookie year. Dropped like a stone last year. Speculate as to the reasons, but he *was* playing with Carmelo as the primary playmaker and no real PG to speak of for most of the year. I'd give more likelihood to his returning to 2010-11 form with Nash than I would put stock in last year's numbers.
              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                ... I'd give more likelihood to his returning to 2010-11 form with Nash than I would put stock in last year's numbers.
                With a full training camp, and a GM intent on demonstrating he didn't make a big mistake (makes sure Fields gets the coaching help he needs in off-season) there is no reason he can't get back to or improve on his rookie campaign. He was an efficient scorer. near 10 pts and 7 rb per game. Not far off the mark for $6.3 million a year. I expect improvement just from playing with Nash, as you say. That should help his confidence and lead to actual improvement.

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
                  I am not a GM and either is Chad Ford but have you heard any reports at all of any team offering Fields a contract let alone a 3 year $20 million dollar deal?
                  It's like deja vu all over again...... Just like I said at the end of the season, it's 2006-2007 revisited. Back to the future baby!

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    It's like deja vu all over again...... Just like I said at the end of the season, it's 2006-2007 revisited. Back to the future baby!
                    What 24 year old with potential that fits an area of need did BC sign in 2006-2007?

But, seriously, I do get your point. It will be interesting to see what else happens this off season. Without serious organic growth and multiple breakout years (AB, DD, ED, JJ, TR, JV, AJ), or other trades/transactions, the Raps might be seriously limited in how far they can go in the playoffs - assuming they get there of course.

Comment

• Assuming Nash stays steady
                      Assuming Demar improves
                      Assuming Bargs continues his 13-game performance of last season
                      Assuming Val comes within inches of his hype
                      Assuming Ross can shoot
                      Assuming Fields returns or improves from his rookie performance
                      Assuming no one else regresses,

We have a very very formidable and improving team. Many assumptions, but all possibilities. This is a team to watch out for in the East.
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        What 24 year old with potential that fits an area of need did BC sign in 2006-2007?

But, seriously, I do get your point. It will be interesting to see what else happens this off season. Without serious organic growth and multiple breakout years (AB, DD, ED, JJ, TR, JV, AJ), or other trades/transactions, the Raps might be seriously limited in how far they can go in the playoffs - assuming they get there of course.
                        Alright, so Kapono was 26. Pretty close.

Look, Fields is fine. He's a solid role who can do a little bit of everything. Sadly, the day he signs he'll be the best wing on the team. But this team already has a bunch of role players. Maybe this is the best that was out there for them but this team desperately needs an impact perimeter guy with or without Nash. That so badly needs to be solved that it's hard to get too excited about another bench player.

Comment

Look, Fields is fine. He's a solid role who can do a little bit of everything. Sadly, the day he signs he'll be the best wing on the team. But this team already has a bunch of role players. Maybe this is the best that was out there for them but this team desperately needs an impact perimeter guy with or without Nash. That so badly needs to be solved that it's hard to get too excited about another bench player.
                          I would say the Fields signing is partly to improve chances of acquiring Nash and partly to add depth/flexibility to the wing position. As you said, I hope this isn't the final move this offeason for the Raptors, as it relates to the starting SF position.

BC has lots of assets still at his disposal to make a run at a guy like Iguodala. Amir & JJ & Bayless & 2013 1st round pick (top-6 protected) would be a good deal. Philly would get a backup PG, a backup PF and PF/SF depth, an additional 1st round pick next season and save about $1.7M this upcoming season. Iggy & DD could start on the wings, with Fields & Ross playing together in the 2nd unit. Assuming Nash gets acquired (in S&T for Calderon), the Raps would only be about $5M over the cap (while still needing a backup PG).

I'm not saying that deal will happen, just pointing out that there's lots of options for further improvement. I doubt Nash & Fields marks the end of BC's offseason.

Comment

Kapono was signed for 2007-2008 season.

I agree with you on the need for another impact player. But the Raps have added another solid perimeter player assuming 2nd year was an aberration and he really is the player he showed pre-Melo. If anything this helps make other assets expendable that might help land the type of player you/I/we are looking for.

Your bold sentence above, while sad, is still a step in the right direction. Toronto is limited in free agency because of losing stigma and lack of SF's available this year in free agency. With those things considered and assuming Fields returns to and improves on rookie form, I like the move. Clearly Fields excelled in a ball movement and player movement offense (and that stopped when Melo came to NY) and it appears that is the type of offense that DC looks to run.

Comment

• http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/s...t=12741&page=2

Anyone ever stroll onto other forums? Notice how barbaric knick fans are LOL, they are really bitter about this
                              ("F*CK THE CRAPTORS!")

They seem unanimous that they wont match the offer (GOOD!)
                              They also believe we are after Lin now as well.
                              They also claim Nash is as good as gone to Dallas, what is the likely hood that Nash signs with Dallas?
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Just took a look at Landry's game log before the Melo trade (2/22)... he was playing solidly prior to the trade then had a terrible March.. just sayin'

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/...qbestKqUqkvLYF

Comment

Working...
                                X