Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 665

Thread: OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

  1. #321
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Has anyone ever noticed there are rarely stories given through 'sources' with Nash?

    All stories generally have direct quotes from him or lack the anonymous 'source'.

    I don't buy this story because it is well known Nash's inner circle is extremely small and they do not play these games through media personalities such as Aldridge. It is just now how he has ever operated - even when PHX let everyone go who was a part of the Suns glory years and deep playoff run in 2010.

    Personally, I think this source is a person connected with the Knicks. I believe Nash to stick to his word and make a decision within 4-5 days. I think the last bit of business is to hear what Dallas says.

    Nash spurning the Raptors now would have devastating effects, in my opinion, on his role with Basketball Canada and his Canadian business ventures in retirement.

    This is all my opinion.
    I totally agree. Nash has to know that he is walking a very fine line... he either solidifies his place as a national hero, or upsets his entire home country and fans of his home country's only NBA franchise, for teasing them and seemingly stringing them along... whether true or not, he will get nailed to the wall in the court of public opinion, should he choose a team other than the Raptors now (god help him if it's the Lakers)!

  2. #322
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I totally agree. Nash has to know that he is walking a very fine line... he either solidifies his place as a national hero, or upsets his entire home country and fans of his home country's only NBA franchise, for teasing them and seemingly stringing them along... whether true or not, he will get nailed to the wall in the court of public opinion, should he choose a team other than the Raptors now (god help him if it's the Lakers)!
    This is a perfect quote to illustrate how fickle and selfish sports fans really are. The man has earned the right to put himself in the best possible basketball situation, for anyone to criticize him for that is beyond unreasonable. Not disagreeing with you at all that he WILL get crucified, just that it's sad how childish groupthink really is.

  3. #323
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I totally agree. Nash has to know that he is walking a very fine line... he either solidifies his place as a national hero, or upsets his entire home country and fans of his home country's only NBA franchise, for teasing them and seemingly stringing them along... whether true or not, he will get nailed to the wall in the court of public opinion, should he choose a team other than the Raptors now (god help him if it's the Lakers)!
    after the Sydney Olympics he wanted out. Watching the likes of Rick Fox, and Jamaal Magloire sit on the sidelines while he and Todd McCullough played their asses off was hard on him.

    The firing of Jay Triano was just a convenient excuse for him to bail. Because Triano was part of the contingent who went to woo him with the big offer.

    Anyhow look people, I respect him more for going to a playoff team and attempting a ring. Canada does not take care of its own athletes unless they are on ice. So Nash do your thing and seriously do us a favour by leaving the cap space for something more productive albiet less profitable.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  4. #324
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    This is a perfect quote to illustrate how fickle and selfish sports fans really are. The man has earned the right to put himself in the best possible basketball situation, for anyone to criticize him for that is beyond unreasonable. Not disagreeing with you at all that he WILL get crucified, just that it's sad how childish groupthink really is.
    The ironic part is that it won't be the hardcore fans that are upset, but more likely the casual fan. I'd be disappointed, but not the least be angry or resentful.

  5. #325
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I will accept it if he goes to Dallas...I will be happy for him if he decides to end it all in Phoenix....I will BOO the ever loving shit out of him if he signs with either the Heat or the Lakers, because it is completely against his character. I will be in the stands leading the SELL OUT chants

  6. #326
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,913
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    This is a perfect quote to illustrate how fickle and selfish sports fans really are. The man has earned the right to put himself in the best possible basketball situation, for anyone to criticize him for that is beyond unreasonable.
    i agree with this but think it will be in the medias hands. with luck they can act classy. this one will solely be on tsn. we would just be showing the league we deserve to be a shitty place to play. i think papa burgundy is with me when i say stay classy raps nation

  7. #327
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    if nash really didnt want to come to T.O the respectable thing to do would be to inform BC very early on that T.O wasnt in play for him... if in fact hes useing T.O to drive up his market value with contenders then it would go against everything we believe nash to be about. all i know is the waiting game is growing old now.. id like to know either way soon..its starting to feel like the whole bosh signing saga again to me, only he didnt take 4-5 days into free agency to make his mind up.

    on a side note... Chuck Swirsky still thinks Nash chooses Raps..http://twitter.com/swirsk054/status/220521711899127811
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Jul 4th, 2012 at 10:24 AM.

  8. #328
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I am not specifically directing this post at you, but at these kind of comments.

    I don't know who the Raptors targeted, aside from Nash, but it is already clear that all of the major free agents are not heading to Toronto. All of the UFA's have already put out pretty clear indications of the 2-3 teams they will entertain offers from. TO is high on the list of "destinations not mentioned."

    Despite all the Raps fans talk about Davis' potential, Derozan's potential, Amir's potential it is also pretty clear that Bargs and JV are the only desired players on the roster. And to give them up means the Raps are starting over unless they get back more then they give up. Quite frankly, pro teams with even average management don't get fleeced that often.

    In a free and unrestricted market, values of commodities tend to reach equilibrium. Players are commodities. So any talk of "I wouldn't pay more than X dollars for a SF, a PG or a C" is just smoke. You must pay what you must pay or watch the players you want disappear into other teams rosters.

    So given all that (if you agree with my little summary), I am wondering what "... the prudent or responsbile way of managing a team or trying to build a real contender" is?

    We know the Raptors have had to overpay for US born players to come here, unless they took a detour through Europe first (Anthony Parker and Antonio Davis for example), and yet when the Raptors have chased European or South american players the management gets criticized for being "Euro-centric."

    All that is left is the draft. So how are the Raptors supposed to improve through the crap shoot that we call the NBA draft? Obviously, they simply have to have scouting staff and player analysis team members who are significantly better than the staff on the other 29 NBA teams. And then have that analysis staff be right at least 75% of the time. that way they can upgrade their roster with 2 good players (for the position they were drafted) in every three years. In other words, they could significantly improve their starting five in only 7.5 years.

    Is that what is meant by "prudent management?" I didn't think so. I guess what is meant is management that actually made some of the moves we kind of fantasize about them making, even though there is no way in hell of any of them actually being made. Or maybe what is meant by prudent management is making those 2 or 3 moves every year, out of the 60 that are made, that seem to come late in the season and are judged, with all the accuracy of hindsight, to have been brilliant.
    Short answer...........yes building through the draft.

    No FA's want to come here (which is solely based on being a winning or losing team) and you over spend for lesser talent or can't trade for the type of elite talent you want so then yes, I feel the draft is the best way to acquire top tier talent that is cap-friendly and can be brought through your system.

    V Carter, D Stoudamire, C Bosh, T McGrady. Arguably the best players that have put on the jersey and they came via the draft. It can be a crap shoot yes, but if you've already identified that the other options (Free Agency) doesn't work for the Raptors and we have to overpay which is not prudent imho.

    JV is the next biggest hope for the Raps, acquired via the draft. Nash would be great but what does it say that he's 38n and offered a boatload of money to come to Canada and play and he is still undecided? Free agency will always be a dead end for the Raps until they can establish the club as a stable winning team in the NBA. Imo, that comes through patience and pain through the draft process.

    Cleveland looked in bad shape after Lebron left, and no one is calling them a contender but I love the way they are trying to rebuild and although the jury is out currently on T.Thompson and D. Wiaters, they have an absolute stud in Kyrie Irving to move up with again. Raps are trying to lure Steve Nash. 3 years from now however they will most likely be back here, in the same position again.

  9. #329
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    people are going to be pissed when we sign Grant Hill

  10. #330
    mcsemcp73
    Guest

    Default

    Landry was a good pick over JJ or LK but at 20m little scary Price tag 5.5m per annum

    I m so happy my first post

  11. #331
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Random thought:

    Did anyone consider that PHX might have liked Fields and Shumpert better than what Toronto could have offered?

    Maybe PHX said, "Steve, go to the East and how about the Knicks? We really like what we could get in a S&T?"

    Nash thought, "Well, I could go to Toronto and easily get the money I want but they are going to have to renounce all their exceptions and cap holds to do it. That would give much less flexibility to the roster."

    Maybe Steve picked up the phone and called Colangelo, "Yo Bryco. What happenin' dawg? Listen Suns want Fields from Knicks in S&T. They don't want to deal with you. What are we going to do?"

    BryCo says, "F*ck that shizz-nizzle." Makes offer to Fields.

    Ball now in PHX court: you can get some young assets and established PG from Toronto (ED, JJ, Forbes, Calderon) or big TPE..... or NOTHING.



    Not saying this is how things are playing out but it has as much validity as all the other rumours and whispers.

  12. #332
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mcsemcp73 wrote: View Post
    Landry was a good pick over JJ or LK but at 20m little scary Price tag 5.5m per annum

    I m so happy my first post
    welcome aboard

  13. #333
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Random thought:

    Did anyone consider that PHX might have liked Fields and Shumpert better than what Toronto could have offered?

    Maybe PHX said, "Steve, go to the East and how about the Knicks? We really like what we could get in a S&T?"

    Nash thought, "Well, I could go to Toronto and easily get the money I want but they are going to have to renounce all their exceptions and cap holds to do it. That would give much less flexibility to the roster."

    Maybe Steve picked up the phone and called Colangelo, "Yo Bryco. What happenin' dawg? Listen Suns want Fields from Knicks in S&T. They don't want to deal with you. What are we going to do?"

    BryCo says, "F*ck that shizz-nizzle." Makes offer to Fields.

    Ball now in PHX court: you can get some young assets and established PG from Toronto (ED, JJ, Forbes, Calderon) or big TPE..... or NOTHING.



    Not saying this is how things are playing out but it has as much validity as all the other rumours and whispers.
    and then Nash goes back to the knicks with an innocent face asking if they can still do a sign and trade even though he knows they can't....I think we're on to something! however this goes down, the fallout should be interesting

  14. #334
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Random thought:

    Did anyone consider that PHX might have liked Fields and Shumpert better than what Toronto could have offered?

    Maybe PHX said, "Steve, go to the East and how about the Knicks? We really like what we could get in a S&T?"

    Nash thought, "Well, I could go to Toronto and easily get the money I want but they are going to have to renounce all their exceptions and cap holds to do it. That would give much less flexibility to the roster."

    Maybe Steve picked up the phone and called Colangelo, "Yo Bryco. What happenin' dawg? Listen Suns want Fields from Knicks in S&T. They don't want to deal with you. What are we going to do?"

    BryCo says, "F*ck that shizz-nizzle." Makes offer to Fields.

    Ball now in PHX court: you can get some young assets and established PG from Toronto (ED, JJ, Forbes, Calderon) or big TPE..... or NOTHING.



    Not saying this is how things are playing out but it has as much validity as all the other rumours and whispers.
    The only thing that scares me is that at the end of the day, what Phoenix gets in a S&T really shouldn't matter, at least not as much as where Steve Nash actually wants to play. If Nash badly wants to play in Toronto, the fact that Phoenix prefers the S&T haul they can get from a different team shouldn't even come into play.

    Nash should be telling Phoenix "I want to play in Toronto. Work a S&T with them, or I can just sign with them outright."

    Then, Phoenix gets on the phone with BC and says "Lets make a deal."

    Then, BC says "Calderon would make a great mentor for Marshall, or you can have hometown boy Bayless, who is anther PG who comes much cheaper. Can I also interest you in James Johnson, Gary Forbes or possibly our 2nd round pick next year?"

    ---

    I understand Nash being a man of his word and fielding offers from all interested parties, but ultimately he should just decide where he wants to play first, regardless of what any trade offers are comprised of...

  15. #335
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Random thought:

    Did anyone consider that PHX might have liked Fields and Shumpert better than what Toronto could have offered?

    Maybe PHX said, "Steve, go to the East and how about the Knicks? We really like what we could get in a S&T?"

    Nash thought, "Well, I could go to Toronto and easily get the money I want but they are going to have to renounce all their exceptions and cap holds to do it. That would give much less flexibility to the roster."

    Maybe Steve picked up the phone and called Colangelo, "Yo Bryco. What happenin' dawg? Listen Suns want Fields from Knicks in S&T. They don't want to deal with you. What are we going to do?"

    BryCo says, "F*ck that shizz-nizzle." Makes offer to Fields.

    Ball now in PHX court: you can get some young assets and established PG from Toronto (ED, JJ, Forbes, Calderon) or big TPE..... or NOTHING.



    Not saying this is how things are playing out but it has as much validity as all the other rumours and whispers.
    more likely... BC awoke to read the morning coffee & spit his moning java all over the screen when he realized the Knicks were stealing his sweetheart LOL feeling like a jilted ex lover BC signs Fields to offer sheet to basicly say go fuck yourself to Grunwald..
    now it seems still likely that Nash signs in T.O but with every passing hour with no agreement its looking more & more likley that Nash goes elsewere..supposedly the Knicks are still talking to Phx about the S&T with shumpert instead of Fields
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Jul 4th, 2012 at 11:17 AM.

  16. #336
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,913
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the aristocrats

  17. #337
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Random thought:

    Did anyone consider that PHX might have liked Fields and Shumpert better than what Toronto could have offered?

    Maybe PHX said, "Steve, go to the East and how about the Knicks? We really like what we could get in a S&T?"

    Nash thought, "Well, I could go to Toronto and easily get the money I want but they are going to have to renounce all their exceptions and cap holds to do it. That would give much less flexibility to the roster."

    Maybe Steve picked up the phone and called Colangelo, "Yo Bryco. What happenin' dawg? Listen Suns want Fields from Knicks in S&T. They don't want to deal with you. What are we going to do?"

    BryCo says, "F*ck that shizz-nizzle." Makes offer to Fields.

    Ball now in PHX court: you can get some young assets and established PG from Toronto (ED, JJ, Forbes, Calderon) or big TPE..... or NOTHING.



    Not saying this is how things are playing out but it has as much validity as all the other rumours and whispers.
    I believe BC has a good relationship with Babby (gm in phx)....they did the Hedo/Barbosa deal. I think the ball is entirely in Nash's hands (the court pun would do to) with the assets going back incidental since Nash can just walk. I would just take Jose and call it a day without taking on any more salary...only because he could really help them transition at the pg position. I cant see this dragging beyond today unless BC & Nash have an understanding. In the absence of this BC has to think he is being played and could pull the offer.

  18. #338
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    The only thing that scares me is that at the end of the day, what Phoenix gets in a S&T really shouldn't matter, at least not as much as where Steve Nash actually wants to play. If Nash badly wants to play in Toronto, the fact that Phoenix prefers the S&T haul they can get from a different team shouldn't even come into play.

    Nash should be telling Phoenix "I want to play in Toronto. Work a S&T with them, or I can just sign with them outright."

    Then, Phoenix gets on the phone with BC and says "Lets make a deal."

    Then, BC says "Calderon would make a great mentor for Marshall, or you can have hometown boy Bayless, who is anther PG who comes much cheaper. Can I also interest you in James Johnson, Gary Forbes or possibly our 2nd round pick next year?"

    ---

    I understand Nash being a man of his word and fielding offers from all interested parties, but ultimately he should just decide where he wants to play first, regardless of what any trade offers are comprised of...
    What PHX gets in a S&T matters to PHX and if Nash is trying to get to a team that does not have to throw away serious assets to give him the most money, then what PHX gets also matters to him I think.

    You are correct though: one has to wonder about Nash's desire to play in Toronto.

    Him looking to join the Knicks flies in the face of everything he has said publicly though. He is entitled to a change of heart and sign where ever he chooses as he is an UFA, however, from what I know of Nash (albeit only through media as I do not know the guy personally nor claim to have a link to his personal thoughts), I would be surprised if he really only starting thinking about all this on July 1st.

  19. #339
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    at this point if Nash chooses the Knicks,lakers,mavs.. i hope he applies for US citizenship aswell LOL

  20. #340
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If he goes to either the Heat or the Lakers...I'd hate to be him on his first ACC visit

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •