Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 665

Thread: OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

  1. #361
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Pull the offer. That deal looks really stupid without Nash in the equation. Pulling this offer isn't going to damage Colangelo. It not final right now. This is all part of the business. I'd rather roll with the spot being a weakness than roll with a guy getting diuble what he's worth on average.
    +1
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  2. #362
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    If we get Granger then James Johnson and him will need to fight to the death for the spot on the roster. Bad blood.
    interesting.. im sure which ever 1 survives will more then hold the fort LOL...

  3. #363
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,737
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Pull the offer. That deal looks really stupid without Nash in the equation. Pulling this offer isn't going to damage Colangelo. It not final right now. This is all part of the business. I'd rather roll with the spot being a weakness than roll with a guy getting diuble what he's worth on average.
    Agree 100%. They're not going to, though.

  4. #364
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we pull the offer, it would be viewed extremely negatively around the league and Toronto will become even more of a tougher sell. The Raptors took a gamble, they lost, we have to live with the consequences.

  5. #365
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mmm.. okay, there's a small chance but it's possible, maybe a a 0.0001% chance that the offer to Fields never had anything to do with Nash. Maybe it was just the media's spin on it. Maybe DeRozan is on the way out, or James Johnson or Kleiza. Maybe Colangelo actually sees Fields as our future small forward for years to come!

    LOL.. who am I kidding.. the perils of being a Raptors fan.

    Oh and also, I don't think you can pull the offer, in terms of the legality behind it.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  6. #366
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote pakdawgie wrote: View Post
    If we pull the offer, it would be viewed extremely negatively around the league and Toronto will become even more of a tougher sell. The Raptors took a gamble, they lost, we have to live with the consequences.
    Listen, they're not going to sell the place to stars anyway. Pull the offer and keep building from within. You think Ross or DeRozan give a damn about Landry Fields? What about future draft picks who have guaranteed money coming their way?

    This contract is going to piss off a lot of people, me included. How are fans ever going to get behind Fields when all he is is a $20M reminder of how pathetic this whole Nash saga was. Everyone on the team right now will be on new contracts when Landry's final whopper of a year hits the books. One would naturally think the core will be getting paid more than they are now. Plus you'll have other players in the mix. They won't pay tax, who will take Landry? Maybe no one and so who gets moved? Probably someone far more important to the cause.

  7. #367
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, people are seriously over-valuing the "perception" angle of pulling the offer. Are we really afraid that the Turkoglus and Kaponos might look at Colangelo negatively going forward? If we hang onto Fields, are Chris Paul and Dwight Howard signing here next summer? Seriously guys, there is negligible risk associated with rescinding Fields' offer.

    Like Apollo said, build from within, and trade for the rest. Agents' opinions are meaningless if we're not players in free agency.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  8. #368
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Which we obviously should not be because many times when Colangelo pokes his head into FA he does something stupid which hurts the team in some way.
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jul 5th, 2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: iphone

  9. #369
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No way I can see the offer being pulled.BC will be in this league for a long time. The goodwill developed between himself and player agents would have a tremendous affect on the GM position. Your handshake has to mean something!. If the deal had a pre-set condition so be it. But i think we would have heard of that by now.

  10. #370
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Which we obvious should not be because many times when Colangelo pokes his head into FA he doesn't something stupid which hurts the team in some way.
    He went all in for Nash! It failed. I don't think it was because of stupidity. Fields may very well be an upgrade of what we have at the three. It was an identified position of need. I would be surprised if he is done yet.

  11. #371
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I stand corrected, looks like it's okay to pull your offer. Houston did it to Courtney Lee yesterday.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/3...ted-free-agent

    Just pull it Colangelo.. there's no reason for Landry Fields to be on this team, unless you're hoping to lure Jeremy Lin. The stupid thing was putting all your eggs in one basket though.. they offered Nash that contract and then just stood idle. They should have been running all over the country to speak with Dragic, Lin, Lowry etc.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  12. #372
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would be shocked if he was done now because after this Nash/Fields debacle he's not off to a great start in his final year on contract. I expect a trade. He's going to probably have to shake it up that way now. Maybe there is an injury prone vet making $15-25M/yr that he can take a chance on trade for?

  13. #373
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Listen, they're not going to sell the place to stars anyway. Pull the offer and keep building from within. You think Ross or DeRozan give a damn about Landry Fields? What about future draft picks who have guaranteed money coming their way?

    This contract is going to piss off a lot of people, me included. How are fans ever going to get behind Fields when all he is is a $20M reminder of how pathetic this whole Nash saga was. Everyone on the team right now will be on new contracts when Landry's final whopper of a year hits the books. One would naturally think the core will be getting paid more than they are now. Plus you'll have other players in the mix. They won't pay tax, who will take Landry? Maybe no one and so who gets moved? Probably someone far more important to the cause.
    First of all the cap hit is 6.3 million in all 3 years and doesn't spike in year 3. Secondly while sure we can't attract stars, we definitely will always need to attract role players. There is no needing to become a bigger NBA laughing stock than we already are.

  14. #374
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I stand corrected, looks like it's okay to pull your offer. Houston did it to Courtney Lee yesterday.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/3...ted-free-agent

    Just pull it Colangelo.. there's no reason for Landry Fields to be on this team, unless you're hoping to lure Jeremy Lin. The stupid thing was putting all your eggs in one basket though.. they offered Nash that contract and then just stood idle. They should have been running all over the country to speak with Dragic, Lin, Lowry etc.
    Pulling the Q offer is allowed under the CBA

    Since we are talking BC's word here, I can't see, nor would I want to see it done

    A team may relinquish its right of first refusal, making the player an unrestricted free agent. If a qualifying offer is outstanding, the team can withdraw it unilaterally through July 23. It can be withdrawn after July 23 if the player consents, in which case the player is also renounced as a free agent (see question number 40). If a qualifying offer is not outstanding, then a team can relinquish its right of first refusal at any time by providing written notice.
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q43

  15. #375
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Larry Coon ‏@LarryCoon

    It was never officially made. RT @hazburglar: Can Toronto rescind that ridiculous offer for Fields now that Nash isn't going there??
    I think what Coon means here is nothing is officially offered until July 11th.

    While I do hope the Raps pull offer, if both parties have agreed to it verbally, then they should honour it.

    However, if Fields has not accepted the offer (i.e. it is still on the table), in the words of Ying Yang Twins, drop that motherf*cker. Unfortunately, that would mean no hot gf courtside but there are consequences to every decision.

    Also, if NY matches the offer to Lin, then the Knicks are unable to resign Fields to anything over a minimum contract.

    I would have absolutely no problem signing Fields to a $4M per year contract. I think he is worth that assuming he regains pre-Melo form. Just my opinion.

  16. #376
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I stand corrected, looks like it's okay to pull your offer. Houston did it to Courtney Lee yesterday.

    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/3...ted-free-agent

    Just pull it Colangelo.. there's no reason for Landry Fields to be on this team, unless you're hoping to lure Jeremy Lin. The stupid thing was putting all your eggs in one basket though.. they offered Nash that contract and then just stood idle. They should have been running all over the country to speak with Dragic, Lin, Lowry etc.
    Not the same thing. Lee was their player and the offer was the qualifying one. not a rfa one. This is done all the time and accepted. The Fields one unless previously agreed upon or now a mutually accepted decision is not right. Fields signed on in good faith and I dont think NY would look favorably on taking him back. That said, while he is overpaid (about 3-4 mill over the term) I like him as a player and with character. He did have a down year but there were extenuating circumstances which have been already discussed.

  17. #377
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    in case anyone was wondering....I still think Landry Fields is a good signing. I think the contract is overvalued by 3 - 4 million over the 3 years. So put me on record as the sole person that has thought about it and still likes the somewhat expensive deal.

  18. #378
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    in case anyone was wondering....I still think Landry Fields is a good signing. I think the contract is overvalued by 3 - 4 million over the 3 years. So put me on record as the sole person that has thought about it and still likes the somewhat expensive deal.
    I like him very much as a player and like his fit with the team. I think he is overvalued by about $2M per year though

  19. #379
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    in case anyone was wondering....I still think Landry Fields is a good signing. I think the contract is overvalued by 3 - 4 million over the 3 years. So put me on record as the sole person that has thought about it and still likes the somewhat expensive deal.
    I like Fields, but think the reported contract offer is quite high, especially year-3. I would much rather go after a better, more established starting SF, especially since we still need an infusion of veteran leadership (since Nash obviously won't be providing it), if we're looking to throw around big bucks. At $4-5M per season, I'd like Fields. Once you start talking about nearly $7M per season (on average), I'd rather make a deal for a guy like Iggy or Deng - yes they make much more, but if salary was sent out in the deal, the net impact on the Raptors salary cap would likely only be in the $7M range, give or take a few M, depending who the Raptors trade away.

  20. #380
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I like Fields, but think the reported contract offer is quite high, especially year-3. I would much rather go after a better, more established starting SF, especially since we still need an infusion of veteran leadership (since Nash obviously won't be providing it), if we're looking to throw around big bucks. At $4-5M per season, I'd like Fields. Once you start talking about nearly $7M per season (on average), I'd rather make a deal for a guy like Iggy or Deng - yes they make much more, but if salary was sent out in the deal, the net impact on the Raptors salary cap would likely only be in the $7M range, give or take a few M, depending who the Raptors trade away.
    The amount in year three doesn't bother me.

    The cap hit is an average of the contract. 3 years at $19M is $6.33M per year.

    Having a contract like Fields - relatively short term and decent NBA player - could be useful in future trade discussions.

    He is an asset and he is a piece.

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •