Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, if anything the last year of his contract makes him a nice trade chip. i'm fine with him coming aboard, reality is the raps need a infusion of talent and im pretty confident he regains his rookie form not playing with a ball stopper like Melo.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Listen, they're not going to sell the place to stars anyway. Pull the offer and keep building from within. You think Ross or DeRozan give a damn about Landry Fields? What about future draft picks who have guaranteed money coming their way?
    The Raptors would still have to sell Toronto to other role players like Landry Fields, and other somewhat better players.

Pulling the offer is a possibility but could have dire consequences. What if agents decide there is no point negotiating with the Raptors until the memorandum period is over? Every year? How difficult would it make for the Raptors to sign a targeted free agent under these circumstances?

BryCo gambled and lost, and the Raptors have to live with the consequences.

I would have liked Landry Fields at $12M for 3 years. I believe that would have been a gamble that was worth trying.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Having a contract like Fields - relatively short term and decent NBA player - could be useful in future trade discussions.

He is an asset and he is a piece.
    Typically, a team which receives a bad contract as part of a trade also receives draft picks or young lowly paid players of (non-established) quality.

Sure the contract can be moved, especially near the last year's trade deadline, but what we will get in return is unlikely to be worth the 2 1/2 year of limitations due to a bad contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Typically, a team which receives a bad contract as part of a trade also receives draft picks or young lowly paid players of (non-established) quality.

Sure the contract can be moved, especially near the last year's trade deadline, but what we will get in return is unlikely to be worth the 2 1/2 year of limitations due to a bad contract.
    Depends on circumstances of trade partner.

2 years and $12.6M might be more appealing than 2 or 3 years at $30-$50M don't you think?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

BC just has to hand out at least one bad contract every offseason. Draft picks on rookie scale contracts are infinitely more valuable to a rebuilding team than overpaid mediocre role players like Fields. Colangelo, just rescind the offer and pretend this travesty never happened. While you're at it, amnesty Kleiza.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    The Raptors would still have to sell Toronto to other role players like Landry Fields, and other somewhat better players.

Pulling the offer is a possibility but could have dire consequences. What if agents decide there is no point negotiating with the Raptors until the memorandum period is over? Every year? How difficult would it make for the Raptors to sign a targeted free agent under these circumstances?

BryCo gambled and lost, and the Raptors have to live with the consequences.

I would have liked Landry Fields at $12M for 3 years. I believe that would have been a gamble that was worth trying.
    So the extra $2.1M per year would cause Raps to have to give up draft picks and young lowly paid players?

I don't think $2,1M is a deal breaker for the type of contract I was alluding to.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched a lot of Knicks games the last couple of years and Fields was one of my favorite Knicks. The contract is a bit high but weren't we paying Barbosa similar money. I don't see the huge deal here. I think people are primarily sour on the deal because it is associated with the Nash Fail. It isn't like overpaying 2m a season for a player that has a huge upside is going to handcuff us financially. Hopefully he plays well enough that by the end of the deal it will seem almost worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Pill wrote: View Post
    I watched a lot of Knicks games the last couple of years and Fields was one of my favorite Knicks. The contract is a bit high but weren't we paying Barbosa similar money. I don't see the huge deal here. I think people are primarily sour on the deal because it is associated with the Nash Fail. It isn't like overpaying 2m a season for a player that has a huge upside is going to handcuff us financially. Hopefully he plays well enough that by the end of the deal it will seem almost worth it.
    One of my concerns is that Toronto now has Fields, JJ, Kleiza, DeRozan, Ross and Forbes on the wings (excluding Acy, who could slide to SF in a big lineup). That is 6 players, 5 of whom are legit, solid rotation players (Forbes being the exclusion). The problem though, is that none of them are proven high-quality STARTERS, with the possible exception of DeRozan if he continues to improve this year - he is weak defensively and has a horrendous outside shot. Ross could very well become a great starting SG, but he's likely at least a few seaons away from that.

DD - at best, he's a starting SG
    Ross - solid backup SG, could develop into starter in a few seasons
    Fields - solid backup SG or SF
    Kleiza - solid backup SF or PF in a smaller lineup
    JJ - solid backup SF

I still think the Raptors need to add a legitimate, high quality, veteran starting SF. Even if such a SF (ie: Iggy) is acquired and JJ is traded away, the Raptors are still going to be hard pressed to find enough playing time for all 5 players (the same problem holds true even if they roll with the 5 players they have now). Fields is a decent signing, albeit a little overpaid, but he just adds to the logjam at the wing position on the 2nd unit.

Post Thanks / Like

I think ross will be a starter sooner than later
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I think ross will be a starter sooner than later
    That still leaves 5 players for 4 spots. It would also leave us with a rookie starting SG (Ross) and a borderline starter at SF (DeRozan/Fields).

If Fields is actually signed, something's gotta give with the glut of wings and PF - as Nilanka previously mentioned in one of the threads. We have lots of solid rotation players, but very few proven, legitimate starter-calibur players.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Now there's talk of Colangelo going after Brandon Rush....(read it on the msg board without a source).

Man oh man, in the words of the great Stephen A. Smith, "I have no idea what Toronto is doing!"
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Woooo Rush!!
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

if that happens Demar is definitely getting traded
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope that does happen, so we can know for sure that BC has something up his sleeve!

Post Thanks / Like

im not seeing it being reported anywhere
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Now there's talk of Colangelo going after Brandon Rush....(read it on the msg board without a source).

Man oh man, in the words of the great Stephen A. Smith, "I have no idea what Toronto is doing!"
    The world would be a better place if everyone simply ignored SAShole.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    im not seeing it being reported anywhere
    http://www.csnbayarea.com/basketball...9970126944-766

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    The world would be a better place if everyone simply ignored SAShole.
    SAS is right. Nobody has any idea what Toronto is doing, least of all the GM. We're a laughing stock and an embarrassment. We're on track for our 5th straight lottery, yet most of Raps Repub somehow still trust the red-headed clown.

Post Thanks / Like

i really like Rush so this pleases me, regardless of the hilarious logjam at wing we have
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    SAS is right. Nobody has any idea what Toronto is doing, least of all the GM. We're a laughing stock and an embarrassment. We're on track for our 5th straight lottery, yet most of Raps Repub somehow still trust the red-headed clown.
    He picked arguably the BPA @ #8 (and no, we don't know for certain what trades were available to be made, despite rumors), made the best pitch possible for Nash (it's not BC's fault Nash said no) and I'm sure he had a contingency plan in place for exactly this situation. It's easy to blame BC when success doesn't come quickly, but he's assembled a young, talented group of players with the intention of letting them grow and develop together organically.

I'm not exactly sure what more you're hoping for. It's easy to say he should do this, that or the other thing, but he can only makes trades if the other team agrees to it and can only sign free agents who choose to play here. As fans, we hear about rumors and clamor for certain moves to be made, but we have no realistic view into the inner workings of any NBA GM's office, to really know what could have been done.

Has every move BC has made turned out to be a good one? Nope. But I don't recall a single trade/signing that had fans and experts all saying it was a bad move from the get go... after the fact yes, but not at the time of the deal, so it's hardly fair to use hindsight when evaluating historic moves.

I frankly still like the position the Raptors franchise is in right now - management, coaching staff, roster and cap flexibility - moreso than many other NBA teams.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jul 5th, 2012 at 01:19 PM.

Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread Information