OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KingMaxwell47 wrote: View Post
    Is there any chance this backfires in BC's face? Like Nash gets pissed because we're limiting his options and signs with Dallas?
    that's what jumped to my mind. Can we just look at this as we want Fields for $20 million. If not and it's a tactical thing to knock out NY, what does that say about our chances in the first place for Nash? If he's debating the best place to go, we blackmail (sorry, just using Dwight-speak) out one of his options? Not a good vibe. Nash to Dallas and Fields to us. ughhh

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
      Also, if NewYork DOES get Nash, are we happy with Lin?
      Nooooooo....Id much prefer we stuck with Jose then sign Lin... if BC signs Lin he is Linsane!!LOL

i doubt it comes to that anyway as im sure Nash will be a Rap. why on earth would nash want to watch melo play iso all night he'd be scratching his eyes out buy mid season for sure..

Comment

Role player who can shoot the three, defend, hustle, and high IQ. Im sure he is going to blossom over his years here! He is one of those veteran young players.
        Blossom? lol

You will be dying to get rid of him in the last year of that deal.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
          Blossom? lol

You will be dying to get rid of him in the last year of that deal.
          On what grounds do you base your opinion on?
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

If Bryco can get rid of DD for anything, and this Fields move messes up NYC deal, I'm going to from "Punch Bryan when I see him " status to "High five Bryan when I see him" status. IF he manages any other good deals there is a chance I change to "Hug Bryan when I see him"
            i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

Fields is a solid role player. Why pay a role player $20 million over 3 years?
              not saying i like the $ just the player.. hes RFA & hes cheaper then Batum.. you have to over pay a little in these situations.. or teams just match.. BC also may be hoping they do match though so well have to wait & see how it plays out i guess

Comment

Yeah I saw comments like him being a 'lock-down defender' (have you all watched Fields play for the Knicks the last 2 years? He's no lock-down defender) or reverting to his 8ppg averages in his rookie year.

If Nash wasn't considering signing here would everyone be as joyous about this signing as they are now? lol

This is getting insane
                Considering....

1) Knicks played no defense until Woodson arrived,
                2) stats don't back up your claim,
                3) Knicks were +5.5 with him on the court and -0.2 with him off

.....I call B.S.

The biggest issue with Fields is his drop off in offensive production - which coincidentally coincided with the arrival of Carmelo "Ball Stopper/Team Quitter/Me, Me, Me" Anthony.

Comment

Role player who can shoot the three, defend, hustle, and high IQ. Im sure he is going to blossom over his years here! He is one of those veteran young players.
                  Let's hope so, because you can't blame all his failings last year to Melo. His numbers dropped across the board, including FG%, 3pt% and FT% (significantly).

maybe we can just put it down as sophomore slump and stay positive

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                    Nooooooo....Id much prefer we stuck with Jose then sign Lin... if BC signs Lin he is Linsane!!LOL

i doubt it comes to that anyway as im sure Nash will be a Rap. why on earth would nash want to watch melo play iso all night he'd be scratching his eyes out buy mid season for sure..
                    Im sure Nash sees the Raptors as a better option, we are more functional then NYK in my opinion, but is Lin really that unattractive?
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

As someone that follows both teams, signing Fields is a stroke of brilliance. Dude is a baller. He shoots 35% from 3, which isn't fantastic, but isn't bad as well. His FG% is always hanging around 50%, which is pretty damn good for a wing. He's got loads of ball IQ, he's fearless going to the rim and is a good rebounder. He has the potential of being good on D as well. He'd be Toronto's starting 3 if the season started today - and to top it all off, he just turned 24, so he's young. I can't see how this is a bad signing.

Comment

If he does play small forward then 6 rebounds a game, a really good defender and a high 30s 3-point shooter if he can do some occasional ball-handling then I see no reason why he couldn't become a very good starter in this league, he has only been in the league 2 years and one where when Melo screwed up the team and also Lin wasn't favorable to getting the ball to the other perimeter players(though very good at getting it to the bigs IMO)
                        Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                          not saying i like the $ just the player.. hes RFA & hes cheaper then Batum.. you have to over pay a little in these situations.. or teams just match.. BC also may be hoping they do match though so well have to wait & see how it plays out i guess
                          And let's be real too, Batum was never gonna be a Raptor. How much could they offer him? Max 14 mil per? I'm sure the Blazers could match.

Comment

Im sure Nash sees the Raptors as a better option, we are more functional then NYK in my opinion, but is Lin really that unattractive?
                            yes.. hes ok but not better then Jose.. & i doubt he ever lives upto the stretch of games he put together..i think the flash in a pan label is bang on

Comment

hollinger tweeted that the contract is a joke because 3rd year is about 9.8 mil....the contract is averaged out for toronto right?

Comment

I won't deny that 3 years / $20M is high for Fields.. but there are several role players in the league that make just as much.

Quick glance through salaries in the $6-8M range:

A. Miller - $7.8M
                                Barbosa - $7.6M
                                Nelson - $7.6M
                                Felton - $7.5M
                                T. Young - $7.4M
                                Outlaw - $7M
                                Thornton - $7M
                                Udrih - $7M
                                Ariza - $6.8M
                                Reddick - $6.7M
                                Nocioni - $6.6M
                                Pietrus - $6.5M
                                G. Davis - $6.3M
                                Prince - $6.2M
                                Beasley - $6.2M
                                Gooden - $6.2M
                                Matthews - $6.1M
                                Childress - $6M
                                Garcia - $5.8M

Fields will be overpaid.. but when has getting a free agent been easy for Toronto?

I personally don't see Fields as a liability. I think it will be hard to move him in his 3rd year - even as an expiring.. but I don't think it would be difficult to move him in his 2nd year - and the cap hit is not too outrageous. Plus Fields is only 24.

Personally I wish NY matches. But if we get him it's not going to be the end of the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X