The Summer league thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Summer league thread

Just thought I would start this off with this Point guard tidbit.

From Hoopshype....I asked Tu Holloway to alert me when he received an NBA Summer League invite and today he texted that he will be playing with Toronto. Holloway worked out with the Raptors several days before the NBA draft. cincinnati.com
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

I am surprised that no one is competing on Tu Holloway playing for Toronto on the summer league team. I know the Landry fields signing and potential Nash deal is big news, but this could be a 3rd string pg that we have in training camp.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Very excited to see this thread...

Haha

Tu Holloway is like 5'11" IN shoes. No thanks. I'll take Uzoh over Holloway anyway.

Comment

Yeah I really like Uzoh as our 3rd string. If we get Nash, he will be able to see some more playing time in the games where Nash may not play (if we manage his minutes like Gentry did) and I think I still want to see what else Uzoh can do.

I really want to catch some summer league games to see Acy in action. People have been talking him up like he is Reggie Evans and it excites me to see what the buzz is about.

12 points, 8 boards and 2 blocks are some pretty solid numbers for a dude who is 6-7.
        Last edited by Red and White; Tue Jul 3, 2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
          Yeah I really like Uzoh as our 3rd string. If we get Nash, he will be able to see some more playing time in the games where Nash may not play (if we manage his minutes like Gentry did) and I think I still want to see what else Uzoh can do.

I really want to catch some summer league games to see Acy in action. People have been talking him up like he is Reggie Evans and it excites me to see what the buzz is about.

12 points, 8 boards and 2 blocks are some pretty shabby numbers for a dude who is 6-7.

I am not sure I am following what you are saying here, you think his college numbers were crappy? The guy played on a very good college team that ran ZERO plays for him, he was very efficient and can make free throws. While I don't expect him to light the world on fire, his numbers are solid for a college player.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
            I am not sure I am following what you are saying here, you think his college numbers were crappy? The guy played on a very good college team that ran ZERO plays for him, he was very efficient and can make free throws. While I don't expect him to light the world on fire, his numbers are solid for a college player.
            Not to speak for R&W, but I'm guessing it was simply a misuse of the word 'shabby'.

I'm pretty sure he's lauding Acy for his impressive numbers, despite his unimpressive size.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
              [/B]

No, my bad, I wrote "those numbers are not too shabby" and then edited incorrectly. Thanks for the pick up. Fixed. It's weird, I watched a few Baylor games and he is never a guy that I really noticed. PJIII and the other Quincy were guys that got all of my attention. I was surprised that he had such solid numbers.

Something interesting about Acy, arguably one of his best games of his college career was vs. Anthony Davis, MKG, and the rest of the Kentucky team. He put up 22 points, 8 boards, and 2 blocks, and pretty much held up Baylor in their loss to UK.

Comment

Coming off an excellent junior season where he earned Atlantic 10 Player of the Year honors, Tu Holloway has mostly maintained his performance as a senior, even regressing slightly in some areas.

Holloway drew some unnecessary attention to himself for his actions and postgame comments related to Xavier's infamous brawl with Cincinnati in December. He's done a good job getting back to business since the incident, and doesn't have a history of characters concerns, but NBA decision-makers will probably spend a little extra time doing their due diligence into his background come pre-draft time as a result.

Looking at Holloway's performance on the court, his production remains mostly the same this year, though his scoring is down and his passing metrics are slightly up, which could be a positive long-term adjustment for him to make.

As a scorer, Holloway's game relies mostly on his jump shot, something that gets mixed results depending on the situation. Holloway is pretty good with his feet set on catch-and-shoot opportunities, but has been about six times more likely to take a shot pulling up off the dribble this season according to Synergy. He shows potential in pull-up situations, doing a good job keeping his balance when he's able to get to open space for his shot, but is heavily prone to forcing ill-advised, fade-away jumpers with a hand in his face at times.

Projecting to the next level against bigger, more athletic competition, Holloway will likely have even more trouble consistently getting space for his jumper, and will need to be more selective utilizing this area of his game. Improving his jumper in general should also be a priority, as his 30% shooting from three-point range (down from 35% last season) isn't very impressive even after you account for how many of his shots come off the dribble.

Holloway's done a solid job attacking the rim this season, though more so in up-tempo situations than in the half court. In the half court, Holloway's lack of a great top speed to blow by his man and lack of great size to finish in the lane leave him somewhat limited, but he does a much better job when operating before the defense gets set. In these situations, Holloway shows a very good feel for reading lanes and picking his spots, using a strong handle and great craftiness to maneuver his way to the basket, where he finishes with good touch.

Holloway's feel for the game has also improved some as a distributor, where he does a good job running his team's offense and setting the team's pace, while also having versatile court vision and passing ability. While still clearly growing into a role as more of a pure point guard, Holloway shows nice flashes of setting up his teammates in a variety of situations, being effective with post entry passes, drive-and-kicks, and in the pick-and-roll. He looks most comfortable as a distributor in up-tempo situations as well, having a very good feel for keeping his head up and making good decisions with the ball there.

Defensively, Holloway has been excellent in man-to-man defense this season, showing great fundamentals and a high activity level. He gets right up into his man, moves his feet well, and does a good job using his hands to contest shots and make steals. His size is somewhat concerning projecting to the next level, and he will also be at a quickness disadvantage against elite guards, but his tools are solid enough here and he should be able to be an effective man defender if he continues showing the same commitment.

Holloway's also a solid team defender, showing good weakside awareness and doing a decent job in the passing lanes, but does struggle dealing with screens at times, specifically in pick-and-rolls, where he's prone to getting beat badly.

Looking forward, Holloway has done a nice job developing his game over his four years in college, but will still likely need to significantly adjust his role projecting to the next level. His point guard skills, spot shooting, ability to attack in transition, feel for the game, and defensive abilities are all attractive from an NBA perspective, but how he puts it all together to play less of a score-first role will be key.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1zbmKInxM
                http://www.draftexpress.com
                Article on this Tu character. Sounds like a solid guy. We'll see.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

My optimistic hope for Acy....becoming another Faried....similar physical measurements, skills (rebounding priority), motor. As we know rebounding is a skill most transferable to the next level and Faried has done this very well in Denver where he became a favorite and starter for George Karl. Fingers crossed...Acy duplicates this in TO.

Comment

Et Tu, Holloway?
                    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

I think that this years summer league team could be a good one to watch, Ross and Acy will be guys on the roster for sure, maybe we see Ed and Jonas suit up as well, Throw in a James Johnson and that is worth watching to see development.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        My optimistic hope for Acy....becoming another Faried....similar physical measurements, skills (rebounding priority), motor. As we know rebounding is a skill most transferable to the next level and Faried has done this very well in Denver where he became a favorite and starter for George Karl. Fingers crossed...Acy duplicates this in TO.
                        Totally feasible. If not highly likely, in my opinion. Exact same mindset/skillset/body.
                        With Faried being a superior Rebounder, and Acy being more Athletic.

"If its coming off their backboard, rebound at all costs, then outlet as fast possible.
                        If its coming off our backboard, rebound at all costs, then dunk in their FACE."

ADD

Quincy Acy
                        6' 8" Height w/shoes
                        7' 3" Wingspan
                        8' 10.5" Standing Reach
                        7.1 Body Fat
                        37.0 Max Vert
                        9.50 Hand Length
                        11 Hand Width
                        224 Weight

Kenneth Faried
                        6'7.5" Height w/shoes
                        7' 0" Wingspan
                        9' 0" Standing Reach
                        6.3 Body Fat
                        35.0 Max Vert
                        8.50 Hand Length
                        10.25 Hand Width
                        225 Weight

Reggie Evans
                        6'8.5" Height w/shoes
                        7' 2.5" Wingspan
                        8' 11.5" Standing Reach
                        6.3 Body Fat
                        29.5 Max Vert
                        250 Weight

Note that he is Taller, has a wider Wing Span AND a Higher Vert than Faried.
                        Last edited by Joey; Tue Jul 3, 2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

i think Acy's got the motor and skill to be kind of a poor mans Faried. People forget how much Faried dominated in college, though. Acy was a second round pick.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I really think Acy cracks our rotation this year. He'll quickly be a fan favourite too.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              Acy was a second round pick.
                              Acy was only selected 15 spots Lower than Faried.

Comment

Working...
                              X