The Summer league thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    From these first three games, I've been watching closely to Houston and Toronto.

Specifically, Jeremy Lamb vs. Terrence Ross..

I'm really starting to wonder if we should've selected Lamb over Ross, because the guy has multiple ways of scoring. He doesn't have the great range of Ross, but he sure as hell can shoot.
    Today, leading his team with 19 points, he was impressive by scoring in different ways, which was really nice to see. The guy has good confidence in his skills. Ross was playing frustrated, and really could only score by shooting jump-shots. I know Ross is very capable of getting to the rim with his above-average handle, and athleticism, not only to add along his shooting ability.

First 3 games Scoring Numbers for Jeremy Lamb: vs. Toronto 16 points + 6/11 FG - vs. Washington 26 points + 8-15 FG - vs. Sacramento 19 points + 7-15 FG
    Not to mention his shooting percentages have been solid.

First 3 games Scoring Numbers for Terrence Ross: vs. Miami 14 points on 14 FG attempts (ouch) - vs. Houston 21 points on 8/19 shooting - vs. Dallas 11 points on 5/12 FG
    With shooting percentages down the drain.

I know there is more to basketball obviously than scoring, but we needed talent, and scoring is a big area of that.
    Ross came in to bring shooting and scoring, and that was something Lamb was projected to do as well. As of this moment, Lamb is winning the battle, and really winning on a larger margin.

I'm starting to really go with the fact why Lamb was projected at 8th, not Ross.

P.S, you may be asking 'how about Austin Rivers?' Well, honestly, I could give a camel's shit about Austin Rivers right now.

EDIT* I know the talent on the teams are different, obviously Houston has the better talent, but Ross is very capable of getting the numbers and shooting percentages on a team without the good point guard or good post.

Oh yeah, who the hell is Plaisted? Guy was really garbage.
    There are two ends in the game of bball. Lamb mOst likely is better O player but on D there is no question. Overall I do think Ross is better player/pick.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      From these first three games, I've been watching closely to Houston and Toronto.

Specifically, Jeremy Lamb vs. Terrence Ross
      I was at the store and I saw this and it made me think of you. I hope you like it.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        According to the reports The Raptors chose the players that was highest on their list of best prospects of available players. Do you have any proof for your argument that this wasn't the case beyond your own talent assessment?
        This was from the Alex Rucker interview with Tom Liston

When we got to our actual pick, we took the best player available
        but then later in the interview he goes on to say:

“Best player available” doesn’t exist in a vacuum. It exists in the context of your team, the players on your roster, and how that player will fit in with those things. I think sometimes people confuse “most potential” or “most skilled player” with “best”. Analytically, “best” relates to the sum of a player’s contributions to his team – and that’s rarely going to align with either of those two alternate definitions.
        given that, it sounds like what the Raptors saw as 'best player available' is different than when fans talk 'best player available'. What I mean by that is Raptors choose best player available in context of a 'need' (or 'fit'), and not necessarily the absolute 'best player'.

What the Raptors needed was a wing player who could shoot and contribute immediately. (not suprising given Casey's post season comments)

Put more simply, the Raptors selected the most reliable and likely to contribute wing player available. But passed on the 'high ceiling, low floor' guys along with potentially better players who played other positions in doing so.

What the Raptors are calling the best player available is probably much more likely defined in fan lingo as best fit.

Comment

• A little early to start saying Lamb would have been the better pick. I really like Ross' game so far and think his poor performance in summer league is due to our team being so bad. All the pressure is on him to do the scoring.

I think he'll be a much better player when the floor is spaced out. The NBA is a game of isolation plays more than anything else this day and age. I would give Ross the edge over Lamb in breaking players down off the perimeter. Plus he seems to have a pretty high motor...kid is always going hard. Lets hold off the judgement for a while.

By the way, imo Waiters is going to kill it in iso situations.

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
            This was from the Alex Rucker interview with Tom Liston

but then later in the interview he goes on to say:

given that, it sounds like what the Raptors saw as 'best player available' is different than when fans talk 'best player available'. What I mean by that is Raptors choose best player available in context of a 'need' (or 'fit'), and not necessarily the absolute 'best player'.

What the Raptors needed was a wing player who could shoot and contribute immediately. (not suprising given Casey's post season comments)

Put more simply, the Raptors selected the most reliable and likely to contribute wing player available. But passed on the 'high ceiling, low floor' guys along with potentially better players who played other positions in doing so.

What the Raptors are calling the best player available is probably much more likely defined in fan lingo as best fit.
            I don't think enough weight is being given yo the defensive side of the ball in these evaluations.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I don't think enough weight is being given yo the defensive side of the ball in these evaluations.
              thats the story of Brian Colangelo's tenure here is it not?

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                I was at the store and I saw this and it made me think of you. I hope you like it.

solid
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

thats the story of Brian Colangelo's tenure here is it not?
                  I am confused. A much better defensive player with motor (ross) was selected over a slightly better offensive player who is not as good defensively and a questionable motor.

Overall I think the better player was selected.

What is the prOblem?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I am confused. A much better defensive player with motor (ross) was selected over a slightly better offensive player who is not as good defensively and a questionable motor.

Overall I think the better player was selected.

What is the prOblem?
                    where did I say there was a problem?

my point was to Soft Euro where the Raps didn't necessarily select the 'best player available', rather they selected the best fit and called it the best player available.

Comment

my point was to Soft Euro where the Raps didn't necessarily select the 'best player available', rather they selected the best fit and called it the best player available.
                      how to you know ross isnt the best player available for the raps? they said he was the next guy on their board...

Are you guys really bashing BC after 3 summer league games? holy shit have some patience hasnt played an nba game yet....you might as well bash jonas while you at it

Comment

My apologies. Confusion set in Because you quoted me in the reply.

The picking of Ross over Lamb seems very Unlike past BC decisions IMO.

Comment

• I'd say if anything, it was a Casey pick. Anyone listen to him gushing over him? I'm pretty sure after Barnes got taken by the Warriors BC threw his hands in the air and told Casey to pick whoever.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I heard McHale (Lamb's new coach) rave over Ross and say that the Rockets wished that he had slipped to them at #12. For what it's worth...

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                              I'd say if anything, it was a Casey pick. Anyone listen to him gushing over him? I'm pretty sure after Barnes got taken by the Warriors BC threw his hands in the air and told Casey to pick whoever.
                              Plus, it was apparently Casey who first put Ross on Toronto's radar by visiting a Huskies practice during the lockout.

Comment

• "You mean there's players out there that can shoot AND defend?!"
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X