**Double Post Alert: sorry about that. I made this in Nash thread**
Something else to consider:
If Asik deal is correct and it is $8.3M per year cap hit per year;
If Lin rumours are true and $10M per year cap hit;
Rockets need to dump about $9M in salary to make the offer if my math is correct.
Daryl Morey @dmorey
RedNation please help me welcome @JLin7 back 2Houston today! Fitting on July4 as America is land of 2nd chances- #lin2houston in your reply
Toronto can certainly help clear a good chunk of it.
A sign and trade for Nash could also turn in to a 3 team affair with PHX-HOU-TOR.
So putting this in the context of Ilyasova. Essentially, what I laid out earlier is still plausible. The only exception would be Toronto takes on nearly $10M of salary from Houston ($7.6M of salary of Ilysova + $3.2M of salary cap space) from Houston leaving them with enough salary cap space to make their offer to Lin.
So from the top of the original post:
So how do the Raptors make it all work?
The magic number in all of this is $51.744M. The Raptors cannot have more than $51.744M in committed salary and cap holds before making the offer to Fields.
1) Sign and trade for Nash. Either send Calderon and/or Forbes out in a sign and trade or amnesty Jose or send Forbes (or send Forbes out in #2 if Suns don't want him meaning the Suns get just a TPE). That is $12M out and $12M in if the high reports are true. There has been rumblings the offer is less than $36M but lets go with the higher number to be safe. *EDIT: include Bayless here as part of S&T or make it a 3 team deal with Bayless going to PHX*
2) Sign and trade for Ilyasova. The Turk is reportedly looking for a deal in the $8M range. Well, Raps have a $7.6M TPE. Would the $400k difference kill any deal? Going to Milwaukee would be one of Ed Davis or Amir Johnson, James Johnson, and possibly Forbes if he wasn't sent out in #1. *EDIT: Forget Ilyasova. The $7.6M TPE just became Rocket salary to help them land Lin. ED/JJ/GF either sent to another team for nothing but future 2nd round, top 55-protected draft picks or sent to PHX in S&T*
Lets be conservative and just say that Calderon, Ed Davis, James Johnson, and Gary Forbes are gone when the smoke clears; Nash is signed at $12M; and Ilyasova is signed at $7.6M.
From our Magic number of $51.744, the Raps have this (all salary numbers from ShamSports.com):
Houston players: $7.6M
This gives 8 players at $48.542M leaving $3.2M in cap space. If Nash signs for less than $12M, whatever the difference is added to $3.2M giving remaining cap space below magic number of $51.744M.
3) Sign Bayless to a contract with the remaining cap space. *EDIT: Bayless cap space might have absorbed Houston Rocket salary to help them make an offer for Lin and Asik or he was sent to PHX in S&T*
4) Sign Fields to offer sheet of 3 years, $19M with an average cap hit of $6.3M per season taking the Raptors right up to the salary ca of $58.044M.
5) Raps will have a room exception of $2.5M. Re-sign Gray or another C?
6) Round out roster with minimum contracts: Magloire, Andersen, Acy, Uzoh?
PG: Nash, ?, Uzoh
SG: DD, Ross, Andersen
SF: Fields, ?, Kleiza
PF: Bargnani, Amir, Acy
C: JV, ?, Magloire
You did say that Houston needs to get rid of $10 M in salary. Maybe Lowry? They have a big enough crop of players to choose from.
“I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”
-- Charles Barkley
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)