Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Plan B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't be expecting big returns from any Calderon trade midway through the season (using the Barbosa trade as a measuring stick).
    I wasn't referring to anyone in my post. I think the Raptors are fine at PG for this year. I wa thinking about guys like Ed, Amir, even DeMar and Andrea.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Plan B: Tank like we've never tanked before
    Quite the contrary. Dragic, Lowry or Lin. Then still go hard after Iggy. Gay ain't goin' nowhere.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
    I know I will catch some grief for this suggestion, but what about signing OJ Mayo to be our 1 for the future? If I remember correctly he always had a preference to play the 1. I personally haven't watched him in many games to know what his court vision is like or whether he could handle that position effectively. At worst, he would be Derozan's replacement and I value Mayo more as a 2 than I do Derozan.
    I'm not sold on Mayo as a 1.. at all, but I'm a big advocate for adding talent to the team and then working it out. We'd have a huge glut at the 2 and this might pave the way for a Derozan trade, but if we picked up Mayo I'd be excited just to see some more talent on the floor. The kid is lights out, and that's what I want from a 2. Derozan to me is somewhat of a 3 in a 2s body. If he swung over to the 3 and was able to defend other 3s I would be thrilled, but I'm not sure he could.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Ceez, let's be honest. There is no Plan B. I'm not even sure there was a Plan A beyond signing Nash. I think Nash figured that out, too.
    There is a Plan B, it's just not very exciting. We don't need bigs. We wanted to upgrade at the point, and BC is going all out. If Nash doesn't sign, moving forward with Calderon and Bayless suits me fine (although not everybody will agree). Plan B was to upgrade at the 3, and unfortunately, there's not a lot of great options unless you trade for Gay or Iggy and the like. If I was the GM of the teams with a stud small forward, I wouldn't trade him. So we're left with scavenging other teams' rosters and sign a player (L. Fields) that hopefully will at least become an average player. Like I said, it's not very exciting, but its a plan.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Plan B is say we tried and then let the fans make excuses for losing again.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    Seriously, can you just leave the site? You're obviously trolling. You obviously hate the Raptors, so why not leave? No one is forcing you to be a Raptors fan, so why torture yourself? Go be a fan of the Heat if you so desperately want to be a fan of a championship team. Everyone else without morals are doing it, so why aren't you doing it?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no excuses to be made. The majority of the NBA teams have no chance at winning a championship, now or in the near future. I've learned to lower my expectations. I just want to win ONE playoff round.
    Last edited by Michel G; Wed Jul 4th, 2012 at 03:26 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Garbo wrote: View Post
    I wasn't sure if you were serious or not, but I fear that you are.. Nash is playing basketball and doing business. I am POSITIVE that there will never be a young, talented Canadian that gets the call from Canadian Basketball and says, "I'd play for you guys, but Nash chose NY over Toronto so forget it."
    I wasn't saying that young players would say I will not play for Canada. I'm saying it is very difficult to motivate people when they know you're a sellout. lol

Raptors Republic Rookie Phat Farmer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    the best route at this point is probably roll with Jose and target a guy like Holliday next year who the sixers have already said they won't offer a big contract to. problem with that is Jose is playing in the olympics this year and we all know how thats going to end up...

FML I completely forgot about Jose playing in the Olympics.... It probably means we get an earlier/extended at Bayless. Damn that Rubio injury..

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nash has not signed on with the Knicks yet!

The gamble that didn't pay off is what bugs me. Instead of developing a different plan, we sat on our hands and went on the Nash assumption.

Making a move at point is foolish. Frankly, Lowry and Dragic are not upgrades on what we currently have. Bayless is as good a defender as Lowry and maybe more skilled all around. Dragic looks like he is coming on, but really, his sample size is slightly larger than Lin's. If Bayless could avoid injuries.... he'd be a target of the other teams.

Is there a way to back out of the Field's deal. We do not need him anymore. I say we threaten to give a sick contract to Lin if the Knicks don't match the Field's deal.

Yes BC got out manuevered, but he was out-gunned. Players simply want to join "Super Teams" these days and they are in big American markets. The Nets, Knicks, Heat, and Thunder rule this league next year, with the Thunder the only one that got there through the draft. Even the Lakers are at risk of becoming irrelevent and are hanging on, as are the Celtics. Even Dallas has struck out and they have Dirk.

The old Pistons team is our model and Nash wouldn,t fit anyway. Bayless is more like Billups.

Post Thanks / Like

No quotes from people in charge but Wolstat and a couple others saying Raps will now go for Dragic or Lowry

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In hindsight, trading the 8th pick for Lowry seems like a no-brainer...sigh
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Michel G wrote: View Post
    There's no excuses to be made. The majority of the NBA teams have no chance at winning a championship, now or in the near future. I've learned to lower my expectations. I just want to win ONE playoff round.
    And when we fail to do that.. the excuses will roll in loudly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    I wasn't saying that young players would say I will not play for Canada. I'm saying it is very difficult to motivate people when they know you're a sellout. lol
    Even if he says that his prime reason was to be with his chilren? As things stand it seems he is taking less.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

And when we fail to do that.. the excuses will roll in loudly.
    Not from me.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    In hindsight, trading the 8th pick for Lowry seems like a no-brainer...sigh
    But our genius GM needed to save cap space to get Landry Fields!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote EaseMyPain wrote: View Post
    Players simply want to join "Super Teams" these days and they are in big American markets. The Nets, Knicks, Heat, and Thunder rule this league next year, with the Thunder the only one that got there through the draft. Even the Lakers are at risk of becoming irrelevent and are hanging on, as are the Celtics. Even Dallas has struck out and they have Dirk.
    The sad and painful truth about the NBA at the moment...

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    The sad and painful truth about the NBA at the moment...
    If only the NBA was like the NHL. The Minnesota Wild, never a preferred free agent destination and a perennial doormat, just signed the two best free agents on the market this off-season.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Could the Raptors offer to Fields be part of Plan B to help Houston get Lin?

Nothing like leaving New York with just 4 players (including Nash) to help force a play for Lin in Houston. Lin in Houston means one of Dragic or Lowry is definitely moving, possibly both if Lowry throws a fit about possibly becoming a backup.

Also, Knicks matching offer for Lin makes them have a hard cap of $74M with at least $65M tied up in just 5 players.

I'm making this up but you never know.... y'know?
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Jul 4th, 2012 at 03:55 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

But our genius GM needed to save cap space to get Landry Fields!
    when u swing for the fences sometimes u miss the ball completely. which may be the case here. but at least he attempted to make a big move..your basicly saying BC did nothing but powder his nose which is totally not the case...only one to blame here if this goes down is nash for useing the raps as leverage instead of being honest about his intentions july 1st..nash will prob. say it was a hard choice & took alot of thinking but the fact is there have been rumors of S&T deals between NY & PHX for the last couple of days now.. if nash informed NY he wanted to go there which led to the S&T talks how come he hasnt informed BC of his intentions yet..
    nothing with NY is complete yet & it could all be BS written by there beat writers but if nash goes to NY shame on him...

Thread Information