Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Plan B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    But yeah, plan B was always Jose. And that's fine with me. Might as well tank properly now.
    The last thing Colangelo is going to do is tank it on a contract year. If anything a blockbuster trade is far more likely now.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    Why does everyone keep talking about tanking? How did that work out for Charlotte?
    It worked out great. They got the 2nd pick.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Draft Express says we can get Adonis Thomas with the 8th pick next year. And he's a SF!!

Things are looking up already.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Sign the best young player available who will fit the system and them work a trade after the fact to fill in the gaps.

yup

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with tanking is that it always come coupled with a losing culture. Losing is a painful, unpleasant experience. It grinds guys down. It makes a player, a team, an organization and an entire fanbase lose confidences. We're not winnning... we can't win... we suck.... this places sucks.... nothing good ever happens here... etc. This why teams that seem to be in the lotto every year can never turn the page. Warriors, Raptors, Kings, Bobbycats. And identity shift is required to turn it around; that's a much taller task than player development. You need a landmark event that remakes the franchise like a move (OKC) or a superstar acquisition that's semi-unbelievable (LAC). How can a team have Carmelo (undeniable scorer, effortless closer) and the DPOY but not be a legit contender? Because the Knick's losing culture limits the team's potential despite any 'sum of this parts' analysis.

So.. we need an identity shift here. We're not getting the star, and we sure as hell don't want to move. I argue the identity shift (or at least something that resembles one) is already underway with Casey's Pound the Rock mentality. But here's Colangelo trying to sign Nash and potentially crush any defensively-focused, youthful new identity.

I, personally, would find it VERY difficult to stomach an openly tanking season ala Bobs or Warriors.

Post Thanks / Like

so its looking like dragic now apparently
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    We could also ride with Calderon through this year, and then next year go after an RFA like Lawson, Jennings, Holliday, Collison, Maynor, etc. (Not saying that's a good Plan B, just one of the options).
    Lawson would be awesome, but no way Denver lets him get away.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Lawson's kind of overrated, personally. Dudes a average if not mediocre shooter.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta be kidding me. Dragic agrees to 4 year 34 million with suns. Looks like Raps aren't getting him. Also side note on Lawson, he's actually a great shooter. He was the main reason they pushed a much better LA team to 7 games

Raptors Republic Rookie G-locity's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragic to suns, still have a chance with lowry because huston is offering Lin a backloaded contract and will not match the raps offer for fields. This is starting to look like a clusterfuck of hoping and dreaming of who the raps can get in the FA market.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It sucks to be a Toronto Raptor fan. All the hype, talk and speculation means nothing right about now.

Fields as our FA acquisition? Please ....
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BC emphasized on trades in interviews, so hopefully he's got something brewin'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    If something isn't brewing at the moment, it will be soon. We have too many SFs (Fields, Johnson, Kleiza), and too many PFs (Davis, Amir, Acy).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    If something isn't brewing at the moment, it will be soon. We have too many SFs (Fields, Johnson, Kleiza), and too many PFs (Davis, Amir, Acy).
    Agreed. I hate logjams, even though some would argue it's called great depth. I call it good trade pieces

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping the same thing. None are seeming like obvious moves to me ... but BC often surprises.

There are still some FA options: Chauncey, Louis Williams, Sessions, Heinrich, Felton ... Not overly tantalizing - still options.

And possible trade options:
    -Collison is playing behind a well-paid George Hill in Indy.
    -Tyreke may be shown the door, cleaning house for the Cousins-TRob era, with Thomas and Thornton in the backcourt.
    -Augustin to play with Kemba in Charlotte?
    -Stuckey going to stay and play SG in Detroit?

I'd love to see Jose and Bayless play the dynamic duo, but history hasn't shown a lot of success ... Goooo Jonas!
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

New York said theyd match any Lin offer because they'd make double just in jersey sales. Which means Houston's gonna wanna keep Lowry. I'm fine with keeping Jose and bayless at point for another year. Maybe we'll start doing what we should've from the start and look for a SF first

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I realize that Lou Williams is not a traditional point guard but he is an outstanding offensive player and scorer. He has a great shot fake, draws a huge amount of fouls and can seemingly get to the basket at will. I actually feel that he's a bit undervalued right now. His A/TO ratio isn't that bad and he can defend quicker PGs. I really like his game and he's an upgrade over Bayless.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I hate logjams, even though some would argue it's called great depth. I call it good trade pieces
    Depth is good when there is a clear pecking order. But since our guys aren't clearly better than anyone else, it just creates a mess of uncertainty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Depth is good when there is a clear pecking order. But since our guys aren't clearly better than anyone else, it just creates a mess of uncertainty.
    My preference would be to say goodbye to Johnson & Johnson.

If we are indeed stuck with Fields (defense/slasher), I think Kleiza (outside shooter/post up) is the better compliment at SF, not to mention the connection to Valanciunas.

I assume Davis is the more tradeable asset, especially given all the talk from BC/DC, but between the Fields contract and the liklihood of at least one more big contract being added, I'd much prefer to dump Amir and his fat contract. I still believe in Davis' potential to become a better all around player than Amir, as well.

Go with Bargnani/Davis and Fields/Kleiza, with Acy as 3rd option at both forward spots. This is all barring any subsequent moves/additions at the PF/SF spots, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

I could see Casey trusting his backup PF minutes to Acy over Davis.

Thread Information