Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Raptors‬ acquire Lowry from Rockets for Forbes & protected 1st (Post #392)

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It's a minor gamble at best. Morey just got fleeced.
    ill wait to judge who got fleeced till i know what & who that pick turns into.. its still way too early to say morey got fleeced

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think that it's a great move. For the next couple of years I see Toronto in the #6-#10 range of the Eastern conference. So the pick is a low lottery one or keeps getting deferred. And we've protected ourselves in the Wiggins scenario. There is no way that the Raptors will be as bad as some of the gutted teams (including Houston) in the near future.

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel bi-polar yesterday I hated Brian Colangelo and was depressed about the lack of offseason action, but now I feel great!

Lowry was always my choice at PG 14/6.6/5 wicked numbers, plus he is considered one of the best defensive PG's in the league. The PG was arguably our weakest position defensively, I see Casey's vision coming to life.

Plus surely Calderon will be traded now, and hopefully that brings in something good. I would rather see us give up Kleiza than JJ though at the SF, also I see Ed Davis being packaged off somewhere as well.

If it happens for Iggy ... wow.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Wanna know why Colangelo is a genius.

If the Raps don't make the playoffs, his contract isn't renewed and his replacement is stuck -1 1st round draft pick.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
    Wanna know why Colangelo is a genius.

If the Raps don't make the playoffs, his contract isn't renewed and his replacement is stuck -1 1st round draft pick.
    i was thinking the same thing! he can gamble all he wants right now.. and if it fails miserably, he won't be around to have to answer questions about it

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    I feel bi-polar yesterday I hated Brian Colangelo and was depressed about the lack of offseason action, but now I feel great!

Lowry was always my choice at PG 14/6.6/5 wicked numbers, plus he is considered one of the best defensive PG's in the league. The PG was arguably our weakest position defensively, I see Casey's vision coming to life.

Plus surely Calderon will be traded now, and hopefully that brings in something good. I would rather see us give up Kleiza than JJ though at the SF, also I see Ed Davis being packaged off somewhere as well.

Ya. Exactly the same. Its the best move BC has done. EVER.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post

BC is doing the best he can i think.. when u swing for the fences sometimes u miss the ball all together, the key is to dust yourself off & step back into the batters box with confidence LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Love it, and at a better value than if we traded our #8 pick. and his contract is unreal, still leaves room for a major trade to get a good SF...or...dare I say, best case scenario, Paul George?

What is houston thinking?? LOL they had two young PGs break out in the same year and they let them go for peanuts!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    ill wait to judge who got fleeced till i know what & who that pick turns into.. its still way too early to say morey got fleeced
    It's true that we need to see what the pick turns into before assessing the deal, but this is the right time for Toronto to make this kind of deal. They have cleared salary to allow them the financial flexibility to strengthen their roster in the coming years, while their young core will be solidifying over the coming years. So Colangelo has some flexibility to ensure that the team doesn't drop into the lower echelon for the next few years. Obviously, Colangelo is more optimistic about the Raptors near-term performance than Morey. The Raptors' roster looks considerably more talented, deep and sensible than it has for some time, and they have a coach that seems adept at getting a team to win on defensive fundamentals and hard play. It feels much more like a playoff team than a bottom-dweller to me. So I think it is a much bigger gamble for Houston than for the Raptors.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, Lowry is better then Linsanity. Just saying

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    so the pick protection is really complicated BUT if we make the playoffs for the next 5 years we don't give up anything

edit: other than forbes
    I feel your pain man

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pakdawgie wrote: View Post
    I actually think that it's a great move. For the next couple of years I see Toronto in the #6-#10 range of the Eastern conference. So the pick is a low lottery one or keeps getting deferred. And we've protected ourselves in the Wiggins scenario. There is no way that the Raptors will be as bad as some of the gutted teams (including Houston) in the near future.
    Agreed. Houston will get our 1st rounder, in 10-14 range, if we miss playoffs next year. But it's a weak draft so I'm not worried there. Roster of:

PG: Lowry/Calderon or Bayless/Uzoh
    SG: Derozan/Ross/Fields
    SF: Fields/J.J/Kleiza
    PF: Bargnani/Davis/A.Johnson
    C: Valanciunas/A.Johnson

I'm already excited!

Note: Personally I would rather see Calderon than Bayless in Raptors uniform next year because Calderon fits the structure of being a 'Pass First' PG. He will definitely makes our second unit that much better.
    Last edited by G00DF3LLA5; Thu Jul 5th, 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    It's true that we need to see what the pick turns into before assessing the deal, but this is the right time for Toronto to make this kind of deal. They have cleared salary to allow them the financial flexibility to strengthen their roster in the coming years, while their young core will be solidifying over the coming years. So Colangelo has some flexibility to ensure that the team doesn't drop into the lower echelon for the next few years. Obviously, Colangelo is more optimistic about the Raptors near-term performance than Morey. The Raptors' roster looks considerably more talented, deep and sensible than it has for some time, and they have a coach that seems adept at getting a team to win on defensive fundamentals and hard play. It feels much more like a playoff team than a bottom-dweller to me. So I think it is a much bigger gamble for Houston than for the Raptors.
    dont get me wrong.. right now i love the deal.. i just wouldnt say we fleeced morey. that will be seen in the future.. if the pick turns out to be Alabi 2.0 or we make the playoffs for the next 5 years then morey got fleeced

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

With respect to what happens after 5 years:

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
    No. Get the pick as is in 6th season. RT @PaulHope29: @Jonathan_Feigen So if Toronto makes playoffs next 5 years, Houston gets nothing?

Post Thanks / Like

With respect to what happens after 5 years:

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
    No. Get the pick as is in 6th season. RT @PaulHope29: @Jonathan_Feigen So if Toronto makes playoffs next 5 years, Houston gets nothing?
    So the 1st round pick is protected for 5 years, then unprotected in year 6. We better hope the Raptors don't make the playoffs for 5 straight years and then implode and wind up with a top-3 pick in the 2018 draft!!! lol

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    So the 1st round pick is protected for 5 years, then unprotected in year 6. We better hope the Raptors don't make the playoffs for 5 straight years and then implode and wind up with a top-3 pick in the 2018 draft!!! lol
    The exact opposite of that I think?

Post Thanks / Like

The exact opposite of that I think?
    - Houston gets Toronto's pick if it falls in the #4-14 pick range

2014 & 2015
    - Houston gets Toronto's pick if it falls in the #3-14 pick range

2016 & 2017
    - Houston gets Toronto's pick if it falls in the #2-14 pick range

- Houston gets Toronto's pick, without any protection

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya you either should hope for us to be awesome for at least 6 years in a row, or miss the playoffs in a year with a bad draft.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

- Houston gets Toronto's pick if it falls in the #4-14 pick range

2014 & 2015
    - Houston gets Toronto's pick if it falls in the #3-14 pick range

2016 & 2017
    - Houston gets Toronto's pick if it falls in the #2-14 pick range

- Houston gets Toronto's pick, without any protection
    I guess we should kinda hope Raptors don't make playoffs next year, since the draft class is weak :|

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Amir has 3 years left, he isn't expiring.
    12/13 - $6.0M
    13/14 - $6.5M
    14/15 - $7.0M

I still really like the idea of putting an Amir/JJ/Bayless/future 1st rounder for Iggy trade together, personally speaking. Let him start at SF, while providing veteran leadership.

Starters: Valanciunas, Bargnani, Iguodala, DeRozan, Lowry
    Backups: Davis, Kleiza, Fields, Ross, Calderon
    Extras: Gray (to play C on 2nd unit against true C), Acy, Uzoh
    14/15 is not guaranteed.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information