Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Raptors‬ acquire Lowry from Rockets for Forbes & protected 1st (Post #392)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceez wrote: View Post
    so the pick protection is really complicated BUT if we make the playoffs for the next 5 years we don't give up anything

edit: other than forbes
    I feel your pain man

Comment

• pakdawgie wrote: View Post
      I actually think that it's a great move. For the next couple of years I see Toronto in the #6-#10 range of the Eastern conference. So the pick is a low lottery one or keeps getting deferred. And we've protected ourselves in the Wiggins scenario. There is no way that the Raptors will be as bad as some of the gutted teams (including Houston) in the near future.
      Agreed. Houston will get our 1st rounder, in 10-14 range, if we miss playoffs next year. But it's a weak draft so I'm not worried there. Roster of:

PG: Lowry/Calderon or Bayless/Uzoh
      SG: Derozan/Ross/Fields
      SF: Fields/J.J/Kleiza
      PF: Bargnani/Davis/A.Johnson
      C: Valanciunas/A.Johnson

I'm already excited!

Note: Personally I would rather see Calderon than Bayless in Raptors uniform next year because Calderon fits the structure of being a 'Pass First' PG. He will definitely makes our second unit that much better.
      Last edited by G00DF3LLA5; Thu Jul 5, 2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
        It's true that we need to see what the pick turns into before assessing the deal, but this is the right time for Toronto to make this kind of deal. They have cleared salary to allow them the financial flexibility to strengthen their roster in the coming years, while their young core will be solidifying over the coming years. So Colangelo has some flexibility to ensure that the team doesn't drop into the lower echelon for the next few years. Obviously, Colangelo is more optimistic about the Raptors near-term performance than Morey. The Raptors' roster looks considerably more talented, deep and sensible than it has for some time, and they have a coach that seems adept at getting a team to win on defensive fundamentals and hard play. It feels much more like a playoff team than a bottom-dweller to me. So I think it is a much bigger gamble for Houston than for the Raptors.
        dont get me wrong.. right now i love the deal.. i just wouldnt say we fleeced morey. that will be seen in the future.. if the pick turns out to be Alabi 2.0 or we make the playoffs for the next 5 years then morey got fleeced

Comment

• With respect to what happens after 5 years:

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
          No. Get the pick as is in 6th season. RT @PaulHope29: @Jonathan_Feigen So if Toronto makes playoffs next 5 years, Houston gets nothing?

Comment

With respect to what happens after 5 years:

Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
            No. Get the pick as is in 6th season. RT @PaulHope29: @Jonathan_Feigen So if Toronto makes playoffs next 5 years, Houston gets nothing?
            So the 1st round pick is protected for 5 years, then unprotected in year 6. We better hope the Raptors don't make the playoffs for 5 straight years and then implode and wind up with a top-3 pick in the 2018 draft!!! lol

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              So the 1st round pick is protected for 5 years, then unprotected in year 6. We better hope the Raptors don't make the playoffs for 5 straight years and then implode and wind up with a top-3 pick in the 2018 draft!!! lol
              The exact opposite of that I think?

Comment

The exact opposite of that I think?
                - Houston gets Toronto's pick if it falls in the #4-14 pick range

2014 & 2015
                - Houston gets Toronto's pick if it falls in the #3-14 pick range

2016 & 2017
                - Houston gets Toronto's pick if it falls in the #2-14 pick range

- Houston gets Toronto's pick, without any protection

Comment

• Ya you either should hope for us to be awesome for at least 6 years in a row, or miss the playoffs in a year with a bad draft.

Comment

2014 & 2015

2016 & 2017

I guess we should kinda hope Raptors don't make playoffs next year, since the draft class is weak :|

Comment

Amir has 3 years left, he isn't expiring.
                      12/13 - $6.0M
                      13/14 - $6.5M
                      14/15 - $7.0M

I still really like the idea of putting an Amir/JJ/Bayless/future 1st rounder for Iggy trade together, personally speaking. Let him start at SF, while providing veteran leadership.

Starters: Valanciunas, Bargnani, Iguodala, DeRozan, Lowry
                      Backups: Davis, Kleiza, Fields, Ross, Calderon
                      Extras: Gray (to play C on 2nd unit against true C), Acy, Uzoh
                      14/15 is not guaranteed.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        14/15 is not guaranteed.
                        Oh really? Even better. I didn't notice that on HoopsHype. Is there a buyout amount involved, similar to Dalembert's contract this season?

Edit: $5M buyout for 2014/15 (would save team $2M)
                        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jul 5, 2012, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Another benefit of this trade is that the Raps will have Lowry's Bird rights. It'll be much easier to sign him to an extension if things work out.

Comment

2014 & 2015

2016 & 2017

Houston is telling people it is a guaranteed lotto pick.

You know what? They may be right.

HOWEVER: you want to talk motivation for the Raptors players?

DC first day of training camp *rolls out tweets stating this*:

"You see that gentlemen? They feel they have a guaranteed lotto pick because you guys suck! How do you feel about that?"

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                              Forbesy???

Looks like you will be changing your display pic pretty soon ceez haha

Comment

• Nice

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA

Toronto has a nice young core: Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, Andrea Bargnani, Jonas Valančiūnas, Terrence Ross, Ed Davis. Keep an eye on them.

Comment

Working...
                                X