Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Raptors‬ acquire Lowry from Rockets for Forbes & protected 1st (Post #392)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendit wrote: View Post
    Thanks Joey...see my note after yours. And you meant 14 instead of 16 didnt you?
    Shoot. I absolutely did mean 14. Thanks for that! haha

btw there seemsto be also some stipulationthat if the pick is too low (bad eg 14th) the Rockets dont have to take it. Complicated alright.
    It is indeed protected both ways, which is NOT done very often; if ever (I personally have never heard of this).
    Generally these picks are protected for the trader only, (so they don't lose too good a pick) not the tradee.
    But with Houston wanting protections as well to the pick, (ensuring they don't get a pick that is too 'bad') it makes it very convoluted.

Houston is banking on us being bad. BC is banking on us being Good, for a very long time. Let's see who wins this one.
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Jul 6, 2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Philly Tough!
      "That guy is going to fight for you!"

This exactly what the Raptors have been missing. Toughness from the lead guard position. I personally belief that you can't become tough. You either are or your not. You can't pretend to be a tough guy(Calderon, Bosh). I really like how Colangelo has tried to bring in tough player lately(Acy, Kleiza, Lowry,JV and toughest of them all Casey). I think were really going to see a shift in are culture next year. It would be nice to have teams actually dreading coming the ACC for once.

"That guy is going to fight for you!"
      Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Fri Jul 6, 2012, 07:09 PM.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Been away camping at Bon Echo for the last few days. No internet, no radio, managed to grab a TO Sun with the "Nicely Played Sir" article on the S&T for Nash to LA. Just finished wading through all the posts since Wednesday morning. Too bad the missed Nash. Hurray for Lowry.

Look how this plays out.

Casey: "Look Jose, I'm going to start Lowry at PG."
        Jose: "No Problem Coach. Whatever is best for the team."
        Casey: Well, that's great Jose. Truth is I need you on the second unit because of how we are going to set up."
        Jose: What's that Coach?"
        Casey: We don't want to start JV right away. So we are going to sign Gray. JV is going to play center off the bench, and Amir will play Power Forward. I want you to run the pick and roll through those two guys using a couple of different options, until they are both getting double teamed, then I want you to start hitting three's."
        Jose: "No problem Coach."
        Casey: I'm not sh*tting you Jose. We need you to drop 4 three point shots a game, and move to the basket for a short range 2 or a foul shot every time JV or Amir gets double coverage."
        Jose: Sure Coach, I can do that."

The Raps are going to have an awesome bench for the Eastern conference. There are going to be a few teams that will have to play their starters 40+ minutes a game when they meet the Raps. The Dinos are going to eating quite a few teams on back-to-backs this coming season. And are also going to be able to save some of their own players.

Comment

• The long-rumored trade of Rockets starting point guard Kyle Lowry to Toronto for a first round draft pick finally got on track, it just wasn’t for the Raptors’ 2012 first round draft pick. A future first round pick plus combo guard Gary Forbes will be heading back to Houston instead, after all of the necessary paperwork has been filed, of course.

That the Rockets traded Lowry isn’t a surprise. The 26-year-old point guard made the move inevitable after he went public with comments about Head coach Kevin McHale and Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo has been very public about his search for a point guard of the future. This move does however have a significant impact on the Raptors roster heading into next season.

Lowry has two seasons remaining on his current contract at $5.75 million and $6.21 million (team option) and with only Forbes’ salary of $1.5 million heading back; the Raptors will have to make some minor moves to fit both Lowry and the pending offer sheet for Landry Fields under the salary cap.

While the Raptors committed salaries for next season place them approximately $17 million under the salary cap, the team has salary cap holds in excess of that space. However, by renouncing their rights to all of their free agents except Jerryd Bayless and Sonny Weems, the Raptors can complete the trade for Lowry now. If Bayless is re-signed at a number close to his qualifying offer before the offer sheet to Fields is issued, the Raptors should not have to complete any further moves to accommodate both transactions.

The acquisition of Lowry has bigger implications than just those related to the salary cap.

The Raptors’ starting point guard for the past five seasons, Jose Calderon has one year remaining at $10.56 million on his current contract. The 30-year-old Spanish guard makes no secret of the fact he likes living in Toronto during the season and last year the veteran made a solid impression on new Head coach Dwane Casey. A true pass-first guard, Calderon owns the Raptors record of 3,487 career assists and has been a terrific three-pointer shooter and outstanding from the free throw line, leading the NBA in 2008-2009 at 98.1 percent. Unfortunately, injuries held Calderon to 68 games played in the three seasons before the lockout and a lack of lateral foot speed and athleticism has held him back at the defensive end. It is well known that Colangelo has been trying to trade Calderon for the past two years.

Lowry earned the right to start in Houston and is coming to Toronto as the starter for next season. After four seasons as a backup, Lowry breaks out in 2009-2010 and despite an illness that cost him 19 games last year; he upped the level of his play again. In 38 starts, Lowry averaged 15.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 7.2 assists, 1.8 steals and hit 38.8 percent of his 4.8 three-point attempts and 86.5 percent of his free throw attempts during the past lockout season. While Calderon could back him up, he earns too much, is too skilled and deserves better from a team he never quit on to be relegated to a bench role at this point in his career. Calderon should be traded to a team in need of a starting point guard if at all possible.

It is very likely Colangelo is not done revamping Toronto’s roster and if necessary, Calderon could be amnestied to create the salary cap space to complete a future deal and that isn’t necessarily a bad option for the point guard. It is unlikely Calderon would clear waivers under those circumstances and could end up on a team that really needs him. Alternatively, Calderon’s expiring contract and ability to help a playoff team would make him a valuable trade piece during the season.

The acquisition of Lowry signals the coming to an end of Calderon’s tenure in Toronto, even if the eventually date remains a bit murky. Colangelo has his point guard of the present and the future. While the full promise of the five-year deal in signed back in 2008 may not have been realized, Calderon has been the ultimate team player and an all round solid citizen thru some rough seasons. If the players around him had been better, just maybe the Calderon era in Toronto would have lasted a little longer.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-ra...l-playoff-piec

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            Calderon never had a chance. Welcome Kyle Lowry.

This bring tears of joy to me

Comment

• The play at the 30 second mark was silky smooth.

Comment

• Read this tweet on hoopshype thought it was kinda cool.

"Ed Davis: Kyle Lowry welcome to the best city in the world - Twitter"

best city in the world, woo
                in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

I really like how Colangelo has tried to bring in tough player lately (Acy, Kleiza, Lowry,JV and toughest of them all Casey).
                  Anyone else remember that fight Kleiza had with Al Harrington? Had that whole creepy Eastern European laugh going on. Could totally see him playing one of the bad guys in the new James Bond.

Comment

• koncept wrote: View Post
                    Read this tweet on hoopshype thought it was kinda cool.

"Ed Davis: Kyle Lowry welcome to the best city in the world - Twitter"

best city in the world, woo
                    That's the most energy I have ever seen from Ed Davis towards Toronto... couldn't bring himself to use an exclamation mark though. Good to see at least.
                    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                    ― John Wooden

Comment

Calderon never had a chance. Welcome Kyle Lowry.

Ugh... Anthony Carter was in a few of those clips
                      TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• Will the deal go thru?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                          Been away camping at Bon Echo for the last few days. No internet, no radio, managed to grab a TO Sun with the "Nicely Played Sir" article on the S&T for Nash to LA. Just finished wading through all the posts since Wednesday morning. Too bad the missed Nash. Hurray for Lowry.

Look how this plays out.

Casey: "Look Jose, I'm going to start Lowry at PG."
                          Jose: "No Problem Coach. Whatever is best for the team."
                          Casey: Well, that's great Jose. Truth is I need you on the second unit because of how we are going to set up."
                          Jose: What's that Coach?"
                          Casey: We don't want to start JV right away. So we are going to sign Gray. JV is going to play center off the bench, and Amir will play Power Forward. I want you to run the pick and roll through those two guys using a couple of different options, until they are both getting double teamed, then I want you to start hitting three's."
                          Jose: "No problem Coach."
                          Casey: I'm not sh*tting you Jose. We need you to drop 4 three point shots a game, and move to the basket for a short range 2 or a foul shot every time JV or Amir gets double coverage."
                          Jose: Sure Coach, I can do that."

The Raps are going to have an awesome bench for the Eastern conference. There are going to be a few teams that will have to play their starters 40+ minutes a game when they meet the Raps. The Dinos are going to eating quite a few teams on back-to-backs this coming season. And are also going to be able to save some of their own players.
                          i went camping too. Just got back today

Comment

• Charlie

In your opinion, who won the Houston-Toronto trade? Kyle Lowry is a good point guard, but the Raps gave up a for sure lottery pick.

Bill Ingram

I’ll take a starting PG with All-Star potential and a winning mentality over a future lottery pick any day. Toronto wins.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...ll-ingram-7912
                            Ingram is an admitted homer when it comes to the Rockets, fwiw.

Comment

• yeah, im pretty surprised to hear him say that.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                yeah, im pretty surprised to hear him say that.
                                "I’ll take a starting PG with All-Star potential and a winning mentality" pretty much tells you what a protected lottery pick is worth. consider how many lottery picks ever make it to an all-star game and how many turn out to not be as good as many of the picks below them. the draft, even in the lottery, is pretty much a crap shoot. Even when there is a consensus #1 pick, that pick can turn out to be a disappointment.

Comment

Working...
                                X