Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Raptors‬ acquire Lowry from Rockets for Forbes & protected 1st (Post #392)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowry/Fields are introduced to Toronto at noon today.

Here is the stream:
    http://www.nba.com/raptors/raptors-live

Comment

• Don’t be surprised if the Toronto Raptors are one of the NBA’s most improved teams in 2012-13, and don’t be surprised if that success has a lot to do with their new starting point guard. The Raptors brain trust of Bryan Colangelo and Ed Stefanski have been looking to put their team in the Eastern Conference playoff picture with their offseason moves, and while they have made a number of nice moves, the best may be the acquisition of point guard Kyle Lowry from the Houston Rockets.

Lowry came into his own over the last two seasons in Houston after beginning his career in a platoon role with Mike Conley in Memphis. Houston starter Aaron Brooks suffered a severe ankle injury two seasons ago, opening the door for Lowry to prove himself as a starter for the Rockets. Lowry played so well that Brooks lost his starting job, and was eventually traded to Phoenix. The situation in Houston soured for Lowry when head coach Rick Adelman left for Minnesota and Kevin McHale took his place, and the rift that developed led to Lowry being traded. Things may not have ended on a great note, but Lowry is grateful for the opportunity the Rockets gave him.

“Houston was a great situation while it lasted,” Lowry tells HOOPSWORLD. “I personally think things have changed in that organization and it is what it is. I definitely had an opportunity and was happy to have the opportunity to grow as a player, with them giving me the ball and letting me go and prove that I’m an NBA starter.”

In 2011-12 Lowry averaged career-highs of 14.3 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.6 steals during the 2011-12 season. He also contributed team-highs of 6.6 assists and 32.1 minutes in 47 games (38 starts). As a starter, he upped his averages to 15.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 7.2 assists, 1.8 steals and 35.5 minutes.

“I believe I’m a pretty capable point guard in this league,” Lowry says of his best season as a pro. “Having a career year last year definitely attracted some new teams that wanted me to be there after the year I had. But you know, I’m only 26 years old and I’m still getting better as a player. I see every year as a chance for me to get better and prove myself every chance I can.”

Now Lowry is looking forward to proving himself as the starter on a team that expects to be among the best in the Eastern Conference next season.

“I’m excited to be a part of a young team, to have an opportunity to be part of the rise of a young team. I think Mr. Colangelo has done a great job with what he’s implemented, players he’s signed, players he’s traded for. I know Coach Casey is a great coach; he’s all about defense, which is good for me, and I know (assistant coach) Johnny Davis so I’m comfortable with that staff.”

While Lowry is just 26 years old, he will be one of the grizzled veterans on what is a very young team in Toronto. Still, he sees himself and Andrea Bargnani as the kind of veterans who can help a young team come together quickly.

“I believe, with me and some of the other moves the team has made, that we are a playoff team. We have great young guys with potential, me and Andrea Bargnani are kind of the elder statesmen on that team right now. It’s definitely one of those things where we can be the leaders and instill a playoff mentality with the younger guys on that team.”

Of course, making the playoffs in the Eastern Conference is one thing, advancing is something else. The HEAT have improved already, Brooklyn is gearing up and the Celtics are expecting to be back in contention with Jeff Green and Jason Terry in the mix. Lowry isn’t quite ready to say that his new Raptors team is ready to hang with the East’s best.

“I don’t know. I think we have to come together as a team, really become one cohesive unit, we can go far, but it’s too early to tell,” admits Lowry. “We definitely have the talent and the ability to match up with the best teams in the East, but we have to put it together, and that will happen during the two weeks of training camp. So I can’t say for certain yet, but I do believe that with the talent and ability we have we have a chance to be very, very good.”

As for Lowry himself, he’s not satisfied with just having a career year. After recovering from sports hernia surgery he’s back in the gym getting ready to push his game to new heights in Toronto.

“I’m working on everything,” says Lowry, who wants to be an All-Star one day. “I’m sure Raptors fans aren’t too familiar with me, but I’m working on everything. I’m working on three-point shooting, mid-range, getting better at every part of the game. I want Raptors fans to see that I’m one of the hardest-working players in the game.”

If his work ethic and his desire to win catch on, the Toronto Raptors could be one of the most improved teams in the NBA next season, and back in the playoffs, as well.

Article by Bill Ingram on Lowry

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba2-lowry...a-playoff-team

Comment

• that pass between dragics legs is breathtaking
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...otten-raptors/

A few other Toronto notes:

• Casey, a defense-first coach, was ecstatic when he learned the team had a chance to nab Lowry in exchange for a first-round pick. Casey coached Randy Foye during his time as an assistant in Minnesota, and he remembered Foye, Lowry’s college teammate at Villanova, raving about Lowry’s crazy toughness.

Comment

• are you posting this link in every thread matt?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              are you posting this link in every thread matt?
              There was a lot of information in it.

Lowry bit went here.
              DD bit went there.
              JV bit went there.
              Whole article was about Ross so there it went.
              Casey talking about playoffs hence 2012-13 thread.

I'm an organized mofo.

Comment

Working...
              X