Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Are the Raptors in trouble?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    607
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Are the Raptors in trouble?

    Losing out on Nash is, in my opinion, a massive blow for this team. The basketball reasons (lol) are perhaps secondary to the effects of having the greatest Canadian player of all time refuse to finish his career on Canada's only team, giving up about 30% salary to do so. I don't hold any real ill will towards him, but basically, if Nash won't sign here, who will?

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i looked outside just now and the clouds all seem lower.

    we lots of players/most would make that move. if the lakers keep sessions and can move blake they have a nice backcourt. am really happy it wasn't the knicks or miami for the vets minimum.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think we, once again, need to wait to see what else BC can do. While I wanted Nash to come to the Raptors, I do not even think that move would have made us the best possible basketball team. I think if there is a way to get Calderon and one of the Houston guards, we would be in a better spot then if we had Nash and Bayless. I wanted Nash to come to the Raptors just so we will be relevant again.

    I think the Raptors might be in trouble in terms of how they are perceived around the league. First, we did not treat Calderon very nicely (and I would not hold it against him if he wanted to leave), then we go all in on Nash and give him this ridiculous offer but we fail to convince him enough that Toronto would be the right fit, and now we may possibly go back on a verbal agreement with Fields (which does not make this franchise look any nicer, but this is just speculation).

    There is nothing wrong in pursuing a free agent. The problem comes when you start burning bridges, and planning ahead blindly thinking he signs with you.

    Yeah, as we have it right now, we have many assets and moveable players that have not been touched yet. I am certain this is not how our lineup looks by the next season.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The pressure is all on BC.

    He has to deliver now. He has to justify the low-ceiling draft picks this year which suggest we are trying to compete right now. And for that he has to bring in a big name signing with all the capspace we have accumulated.

    I will wait for the end of off-season before l I start calling for his head

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We've been in the lottery for 4 straight years. So ya, it's a bit of trouble. There are a few things going on here that they are downright hilarious:

    ---> People actually thought Nash was going to leave Phoenix to join a lottery team and perpetual loser. Clearly using an over the top offer from a desperate/semi-coherent GM to drive up his value.
    ---> Casey just spent an entire season grinding this team down to the numb and growing a new, defensively responsible identity, and then Colangelo not only (very publicly) pursued Nash, but planned the entire offseason around making that move..... Even though it flew in the face of everything Casey just established.
    ---> Fans will be mad at Nash for shunning his patriotic duty to play in Canada. Even though he's the GM of the national team and played for the national team until developing chronic back issues.

    .... ladies and gentlemen, your 2012 Raptors offseason!

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    The pressure is all on BC.

    He has to deliver now. He has to justify the low-ceiling draft picks this year which suggest we are trying to compete right now. And for that he has to bring in a big name signing with all the capspace we have accumulated.

    I will wait for the end of off-season before l I start calling for his head
    +1000. This is going to be interesting. First, the "panic pick" in Ross, now this!
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    +1000. This is going to be interesting. First, the "panic pick" in Ross, now this!
    How was it a panic pick? This is a pro sports team, I'm sure they were prepared for multiple scenarios. Let's give the kid a chance first. It might turn out to be a poor pick, but "panic" is a little too hyperbolic IMO.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We didn't lose anything... just didn't gain Nash

    Free agents not wanting to come here is nothing new... at least this time it isn't for a retarded reason

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    at the end of the day its just a game. It would be nice if toronto had sports team that weren't so crappy, but there are other ways we can entertain ourselves. I probably won't be watching next season.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    at the end of the day its just a game. It would be nice if toronto had sports team that weren't so crappy, but there are other ways we can entertain ourselves. I probably won't be watching next season.
    As an alternative to this acidtrippin' experience may I recommend a full dose Brett Lawrie and Jays :P

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    As an alternative to this acidtrippin' experience may I recommend a full dose Brett Lawrie and Jays :P
    Boom! 10/10. Co-sign. Rasmus/Lawrie/Bautista... best 1..2..3 in baseball.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    Boom! 10/10. Co-sign. Rasmus/Lawrie/Bautista... best 1..2..3 in baseball.
    maybe jose could pitch for them???

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Mavs just lost out on Deron Williams and Nash, then Jason Terry jumped ship for Boston. Think they're 'in trouble'? Free agents are fickle, and all it takes is an all-star or two turn perception around (see: LA Clippers and Minnesota Timberwolves).

    The franchise is fine, all that's really happened is that the Raps have had a string of draft picks that haven't fully panned out or developed into the kind of players you can build around. A lot of mid-market teams wander the NBA wilderness for a lot longer than that before they land the stars needed to guide them back to playoffs. The Raps just need to be patient, use this year to see what they've got in their young players, maximize flexibility going forward and then make some tough decisions about who to keep and who to trade.

    Unfortunately BC is the team's GM and his job on the line, which means my answer could change in the coming days or weeks depending on how badly he fucks it up.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    The Mavs just lost out on Deron Williams and Nash, then Jason Terry jumped ship for Boston. Think they're 'in trouble'? Free agents are fickle, and all it takes is an all-star or two turn perception around (see: LA Clippers and Minnesota Timberwolves).

    The franchise is fine, all that's really happened is that the Raps have had a string of draft picks that haven't fully panned out or developed into the kind of players you can build around. A lot of mid-market teams wander the NBA wilderness for a lot longer than that before they land the stars needed to guide them back to playoffs. The Raps just need to be patient, use this year to see what they've got in their young players, maximize flexibility going forward and then make some tough decisions about who to keep and who to trade.

    Unfortunately BC is the team's GM and his job on the line, which means my answer could change in the coming days or weeks depending on how badly he fucks it up.
    I enjoyed your post. And I agree, Dallas has been a WTF situation since their parade. As far as the patience angle, I find it difficult to stay with you. Patience is fine if you trust the guy in charge.

    (Time for a classic cliche..) ... That being said, if we walk out of this with Dragic and Illysova (at reasonable deals of course), I could definitely get on board with that. If we can whiff on every "plan A" from Colangelo, we be 'aight.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    The Mavs just lost out on Deron Williams and Nash, then Jason Terry jumped ship for Boston. Think they're 'in trouble'? Free agents are fickle, and all it takes is an all-star or two turn perception around (see: LA Clippers and Minnesota Timberwolves).

    The franchise is fine, all that's really happened is that the Raps have had a string of draft picks that haven't fully panned out or developed into the kind of players you can build around. A lot of mid-market teams wander the NBA wilderness for a lot longer than that before they land the stars needed to guide them back to playoffs. The Raps just need to be patient, use this year to see what they've got in their young players, maximize flexibility going forward and then make some tough decisions about who to keep and who to trade.

    Unfortunately BC is the team's GM and his job on the line, which means my answer could change in the coming days or weeks depending on how badly he fucks it up.
    I don't think we're in trouble but comparing them with the Mavs is just silly.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I don't think we're in trouble but comparing them with the Mavs is just silly.
    Alright, here's a better comparison: The Suns have a penny pinching owner that has directly killed his team's chances of winning a title during the Nash era in multiple seasons, are a small market team with nothing to attract free agents except their training staff (and crazy-hot weather if you happen to like that), their best player just walked, and the remaining quality talent on the roster includes Marcin Gortat and....Jared Dudely?

    Yet despite that, they've agreed with Eric Gordon to a max contract, and agreed to terms with Dragic and Beasley. A year ago if you asked a Suns fan if the franchise was in trouble, they'd probably have said yes under the expectations that Nash would leave and it would be difficult to fill that void without trading him for significant assets. Turns out they've managed to. Same thing with Dallas: ask their fans and they'll probably tell you that losing Terry and losing out on Williams (and likely Dwight Howard next summer) is a crippling blow to the franchise's 'rebuild on the fly with flexibility' plans. But they'll be fine in the long run.

    And so will the Raps. This may not have been their summer, but they still have a lot of young assets, a good coach, a flexibility. As long as BC doesn't mess that up with a panic signing or trade, they'll go into next offseason in a strong position, and the results might be very different.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A lot can happen between now and training camp. We're far from in trouble.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  18. #18
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    Losing out on Nash is, in my opinion, a massive blow for this team. The basketball reasons (lol) are perhaps secondary to the effects of having the greatest Canadian player of all time refuse to finish his career on Canada's only team, giving up about 30% salary to do so. I don't hold any real ill will towards him, but basically, if Nash won't sign here, who will?

    Thoughts?
    Everyone is going to assume what is pretty obvious in my opinion. Just like the Glove, he's chasing a title in L.A. I think he will fail and he missed out on a great opportunity in Toronto.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Everyone is going to assume what is pretty obvious in my opinion. Just like the Glove, he's chasing a title in L.A.
    he was also starstruck when Kobe called him LOL

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    607
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Everyone is going to assume what is pretty obvious in my opinion. Just like the Glove, he's chasing a title in L.A. I think he will fail and he missed out on a great opportunity in Toronto.
    This is what I think too.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •