Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: PG options

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tesla wrote: View Post
    Lol we got fucked over
    Not so fast. Houston is still very hard on Lin. I'm confident that something is in the works with Toronto and Houston. Lowry can't be just sitting at home and reading all of this in the news. Something is in the works by way of trade. I will admit that BC is hanging by a thread here. This latest fumble may cost him his extension.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in favour of our present point guard tandem. I am willing to eventually have Calderon hand the reins to Bayless. However , Calderon's strengths do not go hand in and with BC and DC desire to increase the tempo and neither seem sold on Bayless's future as point guard. Interested on thoughts on where we will find an up tempo PG

Does Lowry fit the uptempo mold? I am concerned with his end of season tantrum.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PG options

With Nash signing with the Lakers, Dragic back to the Suns, Lowry staying put while acquiring Lin. What options do we have left giving a trade bait in Landry Fields.

Rondo
    J.Nelson
    R.Felton
    N.Cole
    A.Brooks
    J.Flynn

If I'm BC, i would go hard at Rondo, possibly trading Bargnani, if not, i will go after N.Cole. possibly with a future 2nd round pick.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Not so fast. Houston is still very hard on Lin. I'm confident that something is in the works with Toronto and Houston. Lowry can't be just sitting at home and reading all of this in the news. Something is in the works by way of trade. I will admit that BC is hanging by a thread here. This latest fumble may cost him his extension.
    im sure with nash out of the picture for NY they will match any offer Houston gives Lin.. unless we give them a PG or they get 1 from somewere else Lowry will be a Rocket next year

on the bright side... i read a report from Larry Coon that Fields hadn't officialy agreed to our offer sheet.. i guess he could be quoted wrong & he may have ment its official jully 11..well see i guess

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugh.. this again? The "why not Bayless?" saga continues. Who remembers the "why not Roko Ukic" days?

Good times.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

there is no way after the season that Rondo had that they'd move him... hes the Big1 now followed by the old3..

the other names u mentioned id want no part of..Jose is better

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote knickz wrote: View Post
    it amazes me why ppl think jose calderon is a bad pg...he's in the prime of his career and ready to break out...if he's here next season, let's hope he shoots the damn ball more
    I don't think anybody things calderon is a bad pg. Im pretty sure everyone on this forum knows how efficient he is and how high is IQ is.

The cause for concern is his defense, injury history, and the fact that the NBA has moved away from pass first PGs. His defense was hidden this year with DC help but on switches or in isolations he cannot defend his man, not to mention his refusal to to fight through screens. Look at Jeremy Lin's game winner on Valentine's day. Calderon just let him walk to the 3 point line for an uncontested shot. For me, its his injury history, and the fact that he is more than likely going to be the starting pg for the london games. He can barely stay healthy for an 82 game season. this summer is going to hurt him for our season.

Ready to break out can be debatable? Not sure how he could break out. Like you said he stopped shooting the ball and also refuses to drive and challenge opposing defenses.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Qualifying offer yes, but I'm talking about giving up on the PG search (Lowry, Dragic, Lin) and allowing Bayless to be the main guy. Can focus our attention elsewhere, like bringing in a stud SF (oh wait that's Landry Fields)...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nobody has officially agreed to anything yet

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

it amazes me why ppl think jose calderon is a bad pg...he's in the prime of his career and ready to break out...if he's here next season, let's hope he shoots the damn ball more
    it amazes me how many people who watch Raptor games don't see how big a defensive liability he is. And how it destroys the entire defensive concept when you can never stop opposing PG's at the point of attack.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcsemcp73 wrote: View Post
    Bayless is crap period waste of 4.1m could be used for SF
    People said the exact same thing about Billups and Nash after about as many NBA games.

If Bayless stays healthy he can start in the NBA with out a doubt.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Our PG option is Jose. Of all the weaknesses on this team, PG is not the glaring one. If you had one stat to measure a PG with, what would it be? Assists. Points would be great but the rest of the team can do that. Rebounds? Rest of the team. Defense? It's team defense. So, assists it is. There are 30 teams in the league and Jose was #4 last year. We all lauded Nash for getting so many assists with no 20pt scorer on the team. We had not 20 point scorers either. No one will say he's Nash. But if you're looking to see who can steer the ship this year, we've got a pretty good one under contract. Take the year to find the replacement for next year. Build the rest of the team first.

Raptors Republic Starter connected's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not Zoidberg?

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree just stick it out with Jose and Bayless and try and get Bayless some more minutes. Lowry is nice and I would have liked the deal rumored on draft night but now it seems the asking price has gone up. Would he be a nice fit? No question but the team doesn't need him as PG isn't the weakest link on the roster. If I were BC I'd be looking for an upgrade at SF and some veteran leadership and experience to help guide the young guys. Grant Hill would be great as he can still contribute on the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

jose is also better suited for a half court offence... he is to passive when it comes to pushing the ball & his shot has all but dissapeared the last few seasons.. his low turn over numbers & his PnR are his bread & butter... only now nobody plays him as a shooter in the PnR

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bayless is not a floor general. He's a "get me mine" type of player. He's got a 2-guard mentality and lacks the leadership qualities of somebody like Calderon. Especially if we are going to pair him with DeRo (a scorer), we need a distributor at the 1 to stir the drink.

He's a solid option as a off-the-bench scorer. That's where it ends for Bayless. I'm happy to see him be the 3rd guy in a 3 guard rotation.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ready to break out?!?! Jose has nowhere to go but down.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no Bayless fan but with how everything went down I wouldn't be shocked nor blame Jose for being down on the team and wanting to be moved/amnestied. If that's the case and Lowry's price tag is too high you might as well just roll with Bayless for a year and draft/sign/trade for a PG next year.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    This above projected roster will win about 35 games next year, at best (that's with no injuries).
    The above projected roster won 30 games last year (projected over 80 games instead of 66)...with tons of injuries.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a Bayless fan, but I see the logic in comparing him to Lowry
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information