Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcsemcp73 wrote: View Post
    Bayless is crap period waste of 4.1m could be used for SF
    People said the exact same thing about Billups and Nash after about as many NBA games.

If Bayless stays healthy he can start in the NBA with out a doubt.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Our PG option is Jose. Of all the weaknesses on this team, PG is not the glaring one. If you had one stat to measure a PG with, what would it be? Assists. Points would be great but the rest of the team can do that. Rebounds? Rest of the team. Defense? It's team defense. So, assists it is. There are 30 teams in the league and Jose was #4 last year. We all lauded Nash for getting so many assists with no 20pt scorer on the team. We had not 20 point scorers either. No one will say he's Nash. But if you're looking to see who can steer the ship this year, we've got a pretty good one under contract. Take the year to find the replacement for next year. Build the rest of the team first.

Comment

Why not Zoidberg?

Comment

I agree just stick it out with Jose and Bayless and try and get Bayless some more minutes. Lowry is nice and I would have liked the deal rumored on draft night but now it seems the asking price has gone up. Would he be a nice fit? No question but the team doesn't need him as PG isn't the weakest link on the roster. If I were BC I'd be looking for an upgrade at SF and some veteran leadership and experience to help guide the young guys. Grant Hill would be great as he can still contribute on the floor.

Comment

jose is also better suited for a half court offence... he is to passive when it comes to pushing the ball & his shot has all but dissapeared the last few seasons.. his low turn over numbers & his PnR are his bread & butter... only now nobody plays him as a shooter in the PnR

Comment

Bayless is not a floor general. He's a "get me mine" type of player. He's got a 2-guard mentality and lacks the leadership qualities of somebody like Calderon. Especially if we are going to pair him with DeRo (a scorer), we need a distributor at the 1 to stir the drink.

He's a solid option as a off-the-bench scorer. That's where it ends for Bayless. I'm happy to see him be the 3rd guy in a 3 guard rotation.

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
                it amazes me why ppl think jose calderon is a bad pg...he's in the prime of his career and ready to break out...if he's here next season, let's hope he shoots the damn ball more
                Ready to break out?!?! Jose has nowhere to go but down.

Comment

I'm no Bayless fan but with how everything went down I wouldn't be shocked nor blame Jose for being down on the team and wanting to be moved/amnestied. If that's the case and Lowry's price tag is too high you might as well just roll with Bayless for a year and draft/sign/trade for a PG next year.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    This above projected roster will win about 35 games next year, at best (that's with no injuries).
                    The above projected roster won 30 games last year (projected over 80 games instead of 66)...with tons of injuries.

Comment

I'm not a Bayless fan, but I see the logic in comparing him to Lowry

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                        Our PG option is Jose. Of all the weaknesses on this team, PG is not the glaring one. If you had one stat to measure a PG with, what would it be? Assists. Points would be great but the rest of the team can do that. Rebounds? Rest of the team. Defense? It's team defense. So, assists it is. There are 30 teams in the league and Jose was #4 last year. We all lauded Nash for getting so many assists with no 20pt scorer on the team. We had not 20 point scorers either. No one will say he's Nash. But if you're looking to see who can steer the ship this year, we've got a pretty good one under contract. Take the year to find the replacement for next year. Build the rest of the team first.
                        its never been about Jose not being good enough.. he just doesnt fit the style of play..his defence is an issue but if he pushed the ball & shot as good %wise as nash this debate wouldnt be going on...

Comment

optifan wrote: View Post
                          Ok I get the Lowry thing. Great defender, proven starter, good offensive numbers etc. and clearly an upgrade over our currents PGs. But how much of an upgrade? Bayless' stats per 40 min are not much lower than Lowry's per 40 min. Also, Bayless stats as a starter (although a small sample size) are actually better: 18 ppg and 7 apg from what I recall. Also Bayless is a bit younger than Lowry and will only improve.

Why aren't we giving this guy the chance to start and see what he can do? If it doesn't work out, he's not under contract beyond this year anyway.

Again I sort of get the Lowry appeal and wouldn't be too disappointed if we get him. But I feel like we already have something similar right under our noses. And don't get me started on going after Dragic or Lin rather than giving Bayless a shot. That would just be nuts in my opinion.

Yes what I'm proposing is not the sexy option, but when you look at it logically and objectively, am I wrong?

Give Bayless the reins and see what happens. What've we got to lose?
                          Firstly, per-40 minute stats mean a lot...more when the player is capable of earning close to 40 minutes per night, which Bayless has not been able to do on teams that have had roster space for him to work his way up.

Secondly, Lowry may also improve and has shown more improvement in his career, in terms of earning a starter's spot and running an offense, than Bayless has so far...You're basically banking that in the 2 years age difference until Bayless catches up, he'll become a better player than Lowry. I don't buy that. Lowry led a subpar group of talent, other than Scola (their roster is not that good, talent-wise), to a winning record. Also Dragic stepped in and they continued to play well. What is the biggest difference between Dragic-Lowry and Calderon-Bayless??? It's that both in the former are actually PGs, while Bayless is not (maybe someday....not soon).

What you're proposing is not the sexy option, but it is the wrong option. Jose is a better option, and re-signing him instead of Bayless is also a better option. Jose is only 30, and his game has never depended on athleticism, as his haters like to point out he lacks anyway. He can plug until we find a better replacement, or in the worst case an injury takes him out. When you look at it logically and objectively, getting Lowry, who has actually been improving instead of more or less sitting still for 2 years, to play with Jose and also sell Jose on backing him up in the future, makes the most sense out of the options left. Realistically, it seems the only way to improve our PG position moving forward with the options on the table.

Comment

I merged the "PG Options", "Why not Bayless" and "Lets roll with Calderon" threads into a single "Raptors 2012-13 Starting PG Options" thread.

Comment

Landry Fields is NOT trade bait. Look, if you overpay a guy by double his value, there will be zero trade market for him. Rondo? Why even dream like that?

Here's the list of Raptors players with anything close to "trade value":

Bargnani
                              Valanciunas
                              Calderon's expiring deal (if we are willing to take a bad contract back).

That's it. That's the list. (copywrite Tony Kornheiser)

Unless we're packaging AB and JC and trying to shake things up, there are no trades to be made. This is what happens when you have a clown in the front office.

Comment

id say Demar,Davis & maybe to a lesser extent Amir have some trade value aswell...& if we do end up with fields he cant be traded for 6months anyway correct??

on a side note: if Nash was sooo interested in being closer to his kids in PHX why the hell does he live in NY in the offseason???? just seems like a lame excuse to me.... he was starstruck by Kobe plain & simple..

Comment

Working...
                                X