Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcsemcp73 wrote: View Post
    Bayless is crap period waste of 4.1m could be used for SF
    I am not happy with the Raptors tendering a qualifying offer to Bayless but only because I believe his worth is $7-8M for 3 years. As a backup point guard, we could certainly do worse than Bayless.

From my perspective, the $4.1M qualifying offer is a waste of $1.5M of cap space for this year as I would be fine with Bayless making $2.6M this year.

But the offer made to Landry Fields? That one is way beyond me as I expected a $12M for 3 years offer from another team and the Knicks to consider matching.

Comment

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=399953

T. Chisholm does a good job at putting this in perspective

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
        id say Demar,Davis & maybe to a lesser extent Amir have some trade value aswell...& if we do end up with fields he cant be traded for 6months anyway correct??

on a side note: if Nash was sooo interested in being closer to his kids in PHX why the hell does he live in NY in the offseason???? just seems like a lame excuse to me.... he was starstruck by Kobe plain & simple..
        A couple of inaccuracies I see in this post.

Ed Davis does not have trade value, he's barely NBA caliber. DeRo may be able to be moved if a team is desperate for a scoring wing (like the Clips getting Nick Young last year). Either way, we've be in a "sell low" situation with both guys.

The Nash point. Starstruck? So he signed with a contender over a perenial loser because he was star struck by a guy with 1/2 as many MVPs as himself? Nash went to LA for 2 reasons - 1) They will compete for a title with him and 2) He's a west coast guy. LA likely feels more like home than Toronto.

Nash was smart for 2 reasons - 1) He got himself in a decent spot to in a ring and 2) He used a desperate GM to drive up his value.

So stop saying Nash was "starstuck" ... and everyone can stop claiming he turned his back on Canada. It just displays the bitterness, desperation, and patheticness of the Raptor fanbase.

Comment

id say Demar,Davis & maybe to a lesser extent Amir have some trade value aswell...& if we do end up with fields he cant be traded for 6months anyway correct??

on a side note: if Nash was sooo interested in being closer to his kids in PHX why the hell does he live in NY in the offseason???? just seems like a lame excuse to me.... he was starstruck by Kobe plain & simple..
          After thinking about the Nash situation overnight, I also have to call BS. If it was ALL about his family, why didn't he just stay in Phoenix, to be really close to them? He gets to chase a ring, make market value $ and is as close to his family as possible (without actually being in Phoenix), so I do absolutely understand his decision. I just call BS on his trying to make it sounds like such a selfless, altruistic decision and wish he'd be more honest about it and say "I'm cashing in, I'm going to a contender and the family thing works out pretty well too."

I'm much happier with his decision today, than I would have been had he chosen NYK. Although after the comments he made specifically saying he could never see himself pulling on a Lakers jersey...

Comment

I don't know if I'd go with just starstruck, outside of Miami (who can't afford him) and OKC (who doesn't need him), that Lakers team is probably in the best situation to reach the finals. For all their faults it's still a team with Kobe, Gasol and Bynum and even Artest is a boost in the playoffs.

god I hope they don't win. Of all teams he could've gone to, why the fucking Lakers.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
              Our PG option is Jose. Of all the weaknesses on this team, PG is not the glaring one. If you had one stat to measure a PG with, what would it be? Assists. Points would be great but the rest of the team can do that. Rebounds? Rest of the team. Defense? It's team defense. So, assists it is. There are 30 teams in the league and Jose was #4 last year. We all lauded Nash for getting so many assists with no 20pt scorer on the team. We had not 20 point scorers either. No one will say he's Nash. But if you're looking to see who can steer the ship this year, we've got a pretty good one under contract. Take the year to find the replacement for next year. Build the rest of the team first.
              I posted in the free agency thread that I don't understand the obsession with PGs in Raptorland. Calderon isn't Chris Paul but he's far from the weak link on this team. Even Bayless (I'm not a fan) is an acceptable backup PG at this point. Let's fix the glaring holes at SF and SG first.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                A couple of inaccuracies I see in this post.

Ed Davis does not have trade value, he's barely NBA caliber. DeRo may be able to be moved if a team is desperate for a scoring wing (like the Clips getting Nick Young last year). Either way, we've be in a "sell low" situation with both guys.

The Nash point. Starstruck? So he signed with a contender over a perenial loser because he was star struck by a guy with 1/2 as many MVPs as himself? Nash went to LA for 2 reasons - 1) They will compete for a title with him and 2) He's a west coast guy. LA likely feels more like home than Toronto.

Nash was smart for 2 reasons - 1) He got himself in a decent spot to in a ring and 2) He used a desperate GM to drive up his value.

So stop saying Nash was "starstuck" ... and everyone can stop claiming he turned his back on Canada. It just displays the bitterness, desperation, and patheticness of the Raptor fanbase.
                i never said ed's value would be high, just that hed have some value..

the reason i say starstruck is because nash thinks Kobe is the best player in the world, hes said it before... he also wasnt even considering LA, even stated he couldnt bring himself to put that jersey on... then out of nowere Kobe calls him up 2days ago & now nash is a laker..

i think people are upset he used the Raps, more then the fact he signed with the lakers anyway..at least i am

Comment

personally id be thrilled with Lowry and think he'd fit the team and coach perfectly but the way this offseason is going i won't hold my breath.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I merged the "PG Options", "Why not Bayless" and "Lets roll with Calderon" threads into a single "Raptors 2012-13 Starting PG Options" thread.
                    The power is getting to you

Comment

I think it is in the team's best interests to move on from Calderon.

I really pity the guy. Everyone wants to feel wanted and a sense of belonging. I can't see how he could even pretend to feel that way. At this point, I can't blame him if he turns sour.

He is a standup individual and a solid NBA citizen. Quite frankly, he deserves better.

Things are getting interesting in Rocketville. They are making the offer to Lin and the Knicks are trying to sign and trade for Felton.

I like Lowry in Toronto. Between a strong coach who is a good motivator and communicator and Alvin Williams in the shadows, Lowry seems to be the best option for Toronto.

So back to Houston, if the rumours are true, they need to clear cap space to make this offer to Lin and Asik. Asik is 3 years and $25M. Lin is 3 and $25 or 4 and $31 depending on who you believe. Let lets just say the average is $8.5M for simplicity sake.

Damn, after crunching numbers they only appear to be off by $2-$2.5M.

Ugh. Little leverage there. Never mind.

Comment

jbml wrote: View Post
                        The power is getting to you
                        lol I thought it was pre-coffee deja vu, when I was reading simliar comments in three different threads... it worked well for the SF discussion!

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                          http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=399953

T. Chisholm does a good job at putting this in perspective
                          +1. What's funny is that, of all the point guards being mentioned (save Nash), Calderon is the best one. He's better than Bayless, he's better than Dragic, and yes, he is better than Lowry -- just currently more expensive.

Really his biggest knock over the years has been his penchant for getting injured, but since I don't believe in 'injury-proneness' as an inherent thing, it doesn't really bother me. Having been injured in the past doesn't increase the likelyhood of being injured in the future, unless it's the type of injury that compromises health/strength/stability in a permanent way (e.g. ACL injuries). With Jose, we're talking about muscle pulls and ankle sprains -- hardly compromising in the long term.

Moreover, Calderon, at 30, is NOT THAT OLD. And even if he was, he's not the kind of player who relies on explosiveness or athleticism to be effective. I doubt, for example, that his ability to take care of the ball will plummet along with his vertical leap.

(Case in point about Calderon not relying on explosiveness: I have seen the man throw down a vicious two-handed tomahawk dunk in warmup, yet I think he has dunked in game maybe 3 times in his career. Why? Because he just doesn't need too; he is a paragon of efficiency.)

My two cents? Extend Calderon for 3 years with a team option for a fourth. You'll probably get better value now when his value is (for whatever stupid reason) low. 4 Years $24 Million would be perfect.

Comment

I think anyone with an expiring, or potentially expiring contract has trade value. That means Calderon, Bayless, JJ, Ed, Forbes...I won't count Demar because as much as there are still questions about him, he's an NBAer, the question is just that his value is still uncertain in the long run. Bargs could be traded, but probably not for fair value. Amir...I doubt his value unless he's a piece in a much bigger deal, for a star-calibre player. I think the other guys all have more value or easier contracts to swallow.

As for PG option...I'm sure there are some possibilities if we don't want to keep the same combo. My nightmare is Jameer Nelson. I could live with a guy like Sessions in place of Bayless for a year or two. I think there is no "PG of the future" to be had in free agency, obviously, since we went after Nash. I know there are other reasons, but he and Deron were top PGs and we never had a chance at Deron. I could live with giving Lowry a chance. I could live with Sessions for a year or two, mostly because I doubt he'll cost much. I could live with Dragic or Lin on fair value contracts, but it looks like their salaries are both going to get absurd bumps.

Comment

I am also a believer that if Calderon is still on our roster when the season opens, we should try to keep him around for another contract.

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post
                                My two cents? Extend Calderon for 3 years with a team option for a fourth. You'll probably get better value now when his value is (for whatever stupid reason) low. 4 Years $24 Million would be perfect.
                                +1111 I would love to keep Calderon on the team beyond this season. If we are not getting one of the top 5-7 point guards in the game, i'm fine with Calderon leading the charge rather than over paying for Dragic or Lin. He will help JV transition as well as Nash could have, and that has to be one of our top focuses going forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X