PG options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Not Bayless?

Ok I get the Lowry thing. Great defender, proven starter, good offensive numbers etc. and clearly an upgrade over our currents PGs. But how much of an upgrade? Bayless' stats per 40 min are not much lower than Lowry's per 40 min. Also, Bayless stats as a starter (although a small sample size) are actually better: 18 ppg and 7 apg from what I recall. Also Bayless is a bit younger than Lowry and will only improve.

Why aren't we giving this guy the chance to start and see what he can do? If it doesn't work out, he's not under contract beyond this year anyway.

Again I sort of get the Lowry appeal and wouldn't be too disappointed if we get him. But I feel like we already have something similar right under our noses. And don't get me started on going after Dragic or Lin rather than giving Bayless a shot. That would just be nuts in my opinion.

Yes what I'm proposing is not the sexy option, but when you look at it logically and objectively, am I wrong?

Give Bayless the reins and see what happens. What've we got to lose?

Comment

Last I remember the Raptors have a qualifying offer out on Bayless. As of right now the Raptors aren't saying no to Bayless.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
        This above projected roster will win about 35 games next year, at best (that's with no injuries).
        Methodology?

Boiling the old donkey head again?

Comment

Bayless is crap period waste of 4.1m could be used for SF

Comment

I have no problem sticking with Jose as he's great for VJ's development. Lowry really intrigued me on draft night and I think the trade for 8 straight up would have been nice. That being said we don't match well with them for a trade and the Rockets asking price for him will be too high. Jose could be very valuable to a team at the deadline or to us next year. Resigning him to a more reasonable deal would make a lot of sense for the franchise. I just hope the continued bad press for him (Chandler trade & Amnestied rumors regarding Nash) hasn't made him bitter towards the franchise and we lose him for nothing. If Jose is here opening night BC better get a feel for where his head is at cause losing him for nothing in return would be a tough pill to swallow.

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post
              Lol we got fucked over
              Not so fast. Houston is still very hard on Lin. I'm confident that something is in the works with Toronto and Houston. Lowry can't be just sitting at home and reading all of this in the news. Something is in the works by way of trade. I will admit that BC is hanging by a thread here. This latest fumble may cost him his extension.
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I am in favour of our present point guard tandem. I am willing to eventually have Calderon hand the reins to Bayless. However , Calderon's strengths do not go hand in and with BC and DC desire to increase the tempo and neither seem sold on Bayless's future as point guard. Interested on thoughts on where we will find an up tempo PG

Does Lowry fit the uptempo mold? I am concerned with his end of season tantrum.

Comment

PG options

With Nash signing with the Lakers, Dragic back to the Suns, Lowry staying put while acquiring Lin. What options do we have left giving a trade bait in Landry Fields.

Rondo
                  J.Nelson
                  R.Felton
                  N.Cole
                  A.Brooks
                  J.Flynn

If I'm BC, i would go hard at Rondo, possibly trading Bargnani, if not, i will go after N.Cole. possibly with a future 2nd round pick.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    Not so fast. Houston is still very hard on Lin. I'm confident that something is in the works with Toronto and Houston. Lowry can't be just sitting at home and reading all of this in the news. Something is in the works by way of trade. I will admit that BC is hanging by a thread here. This latest fumble may cost him his extension.
                    im sure with nash out of the picture for NY they will match any offer Houston gives Lin.. unless we give them a PG or they get 1 from somewere else Lowry will be a Rocket next year

on the bright side... i read a report from Larry Coon that Fields hadn't officialy agreed to our offer sheet.. i guess he could be quoted wrong & he may have ment its official jully 11..well see i guess

Comment

Ugh.. this again? The "why not Bayless?" saga continues. Who remembers the "why not Roko Ukic" days?

Good times.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

there is no way after the season that Rondo had that they'd move him... hes the Big1 now followed by the old3..

the other names u mentioned id want no part of..Jose is better

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
                          it amazes me why ppl think jose calderon is a bad pg...he's in the prime of his career and ready to break out...if he's here next season, let's hope he shoots the damn ball more
                          I don't think anybody things calderon is a bad pg. Im pretty sure everyone on this forum knows how efficient he is and how high is IQ is.

The cause for concern is his defense, injury history, and the fact that the NBA has moved away from pass first PGs. His defense was hidden this year with DC help but on switches or in isolations he cannot defend his man, not to mention his refusal to to fight through screens. Look at Jeremy Lin's game winner on Valentine's day. Calderon just let him walk to the 3 point line for an uncontested shot. For me, its his injury history, and the fact that he is more than likely going to be the starting pg for the london games. He can barely stay healthy for an 82 game season. this summer is going to hurt him for our season.

Ready to break out can be debatable? Not sure how he could break out. Like you said he stopped shooting the ball and also refuses to drive and challenge opposing defenses.

Comment

Qualifying offer yes, but I'm talking about giving up on the PG search (Lowry, Dragic, Lin) and allowing Bayless to be the main guy. Can focus our attention elsewhere, like bringing in a stud SF (oh wait that's Landry Fields)...

Comment

Nobody has officially agreed to anything yet

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
                                it amazes me why ppl think jose calderon is a bad pg...he's in the prime of his career and ready to break out...if he's here next season, let's hope he shoots the damn ball more
                                it amazes me how many people who watch Raptor games don't see how big a defensive liability he is. And how it destroys the entire defensive concept when you can never stop opposing PG's at the point of attack.
                                "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Working...
                                X