**If any of the following is wrong, please let me know!**
Reports of offers to Nash, Ilyasova, and Fields have many Raptors fans confused - myself included.
Lots of questions as to how it would actually work given cap holds, committed salary, exceptions all the while within the confines of the CBA. I think the deal can work and here is how but first some information:
Raptors payroll from ShamSports:
$41.075M for 8 players with a roster looking like this:
SG: DD, Forbes
SF: JJ, LK
PF: Bargnani, Amir, Davis
Cap holds from ShamSports.com that in my opinion matters:
Bayless - $7.605 (250% last year's salary)
Gray - $3M (120% of last year's salary)
JV - $2.812M (rookie contract, #5)
Ross - $2.136 (rookie contract, #8)
*Alabi, Uzoh, Andersen can all be signed for minimum contracts after renouncing their cap hold. In my opinion they are not worth anything more.
MLE - $5M
Barbosa TPE - $7.6M
Total cap hit as of now: $69.228M (salary + cap holds + exceptions).
So how do the Raptors make it all work?
The magic number in all of this is $51.744M. The Raptors cannot have more than $51.744M in committed salary and cap holds before making the offer to Fields.
1) Sign and trade for Nash. Either send Calderon and/or Forbes out in a sign and trade or amnesty Jose or send Forbes (or send Forbes out in #2 if Suns don't want him meaning the Suns get just a TPE). That is $12M out and $12M in if the high reports are true. There has been rumblings the offer is less than $36M but lets go with the higher number to be safe.
2) Sign and trade for Ilyasova. The Turk is reportedly looking for a deal in the $8M range. Well, Raps have a $7.6M TPE. Would the $400k difference kill any deal? Going to Milwaukee would be one of Ed Davis or Amir Johnson, James Johnson, and possibly Forbes if he wasn't sent out in #1.
Lets be conservative and just say that Calderon, Ed Davis, James Johnson, and Gary Forbes are gone when the smoke clears; Nash is signed at $12M; and Ilyasova is signed at $7.6M.
From our Magic number of $51.744, the Raps have this (all salary numbers from ShamSports.com):
This gives 8 players at $48.542M leaving $3.2M in cap space. If Nash signs for less than $12M, whatever the difference is added to $3.2M giving remaining cap space below magic number of $51.744M.
3) Sign Bayless to a contract with the remaining cap space.
4) Sign Fields to offer sheet of 3 years, $19M with an average cap hit of $6.3M per season taking the Raptors right up to the salary ca of $58.044M.
5) Raps will have a room exception of $2.5M. Re-sign Gray or another C?
6) Round out roster with minimum contracts: Magloire, Andersen, Acy, Uzoh?
PG: Nash, Bayless, Uzoh
SG: DD, Ross, Andersen
SF: Fields, Ilyasova, Kleiza
PF: Bargnani, Amir, Acy
C: JV, Room Exception, Magloire
There would be lots of flexibility with the line ups as: