So was plan B better than plan A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So was plan B better than plan A?

With the addition of Kyle Lowry, the sting of the Nash rejection is well reduced. While Lowry is far less marketable and the story is not as nice as the "Nash returns to Canada" story, is he a better fit basketball wise? There is no doubt that either of the Lowry addition or the Nash addition would have had a positive affect on the team, but which one will have the biggest positive affect? Will the Raptors have a better record this season with Lowry at pg vs. with Nash at pg?

While Nash would have helped develop our players (Ross, DD, and JV would have all greatly benefited from Nash), Lowry gives us scoring and defense.

I think it is an interesting question.

So, which "plan" will/would have produced a better team and a better record this season?

Plan A with Nash

or

Plan B with Lowry

I honestly do not know what I think yet.

I know this comparison has been talked about before in other threads, so mods are free to merge if necessary.
    Plan A - Nash
    25.86%
    Plan B - Lowry
    74.14%
    Last edited by Red and White; Thu Jul 5, 2012, 03:48 PM.

Lowry is the kind of guy that could be around for a long time. He is a great point, he's the same age as Bargs and he fits our culture. I think this is a exponentially better basketball move than signing Nash and I'm pretty pumped to see how he does.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Lowry is younger, and is already a very, very good point guard. He's gonna have a lot of time with us.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

my heart says plan A was better

my head says plan B was much better
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Lowry is younger, has more potential and is a very good defender. He fits the team, especially Casey's philosophy perfectly, and far more than Steve Nash. I'd say we were unbelievably lucky we didn't sign Nash.

Let's just break down the two players' strengths, weaknesses and how they would fit in the team.

Nash: Great shooter, great distributor. But is 38 and will probably keep Raptors in mediocrity if the Raptors don't become a 50ish game winning team. Is a terrible defender.

Lowry: Young, loads of potential. Averaged 7 assists last year, for a PG his age it is pretty good. One of the better defenders in the league, seems like exactly what Casey wants and would want to coach. Has one of the best contracts in the league. Will help Raptors on the long term.

There are a lot more reasons why Lowry is clearly the better choice, but now I'm just ecstatic that this is happening and for a 1st round pick + Forbes! Our lineup next year will be great to watch, especially for those who like watching high energy hard-nosed basketball.

PG Lowry - Calderon or Bayless
          SG DeRozan - Fields
          SF Fields - JJ - Kleiza
          PF Bargnani - Davis
          C Johnson - Valanciunas

That team is a damn good team.

Comment

We get a young PG, Nash gets to go for a ring (even though it's on the fuckin Lakers), and we don't overpay an aging icon to appease the bottom line guys.

I'm happy.

Comment

Great for a Canadian, good for a Canadian Team's future. A ring, and a winning season.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

we still have so much flexibility left too. Fields cap hit is averaged over three years so its only 6.5 million we still have about 5 we can spend without doing anything...another 5 if we rescind Bayless....another 10 if we amnesty Calderon not to mention all the other trade possibilities....but at the moment it appears

Lowry - Fields - DeRozan - Bargnani - Valanciunas - Davis are untouchable.
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Looking at the Raptors long-term, there is no doubt this is the better trade, assuming we're getting the cooler-headed Lowry and not the Latrell Sprewell wannabe version. Age wise he fits in with the core group of players and his defensive approach would seem to mesh well with DC.

Player (age during next season):

C - Valanciunas (20)
                  PF - Bargnani (27)
                  PF - Amir (25)
                  PF - Davis (23)
                  PF - Acy (22)
                  SF - Fields (24)
                  SF - Kleiza (27/28)
                  SF - J.Johnson (25/26)
                  SG - DeRozan (23)
                  SG - Ross (21/22)
                  PG - Lowry (26/27)
                  PG - Calderon (31)
                  PG - Bayless (24)
                  PG - Uzoh (24/25)

That is a young team. I hope BC has one more trade up his sleeve to acquire some veteran leadership. He certainly has the assets to pull off another move.

Comment

Lowry is a much, much, much better plan. Younger, cheaper, and better fit with DC's system.

That's the only alarming thing here: BC's plan had to backfire in his face in order for the correct decision to be made. Otherwise, I'm on board with this move.

I'm hoping we can recover the lost pick via trade involving some combo of JC, DD, ED, or LK.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post

Yeah this sums it up pretty well.

Comment

Yup, this was the plan I wanted all along. Couldn't be happier with how the offseason has progressed so far, and the team just on paper now is vastly superior to the team at the end of last season. And the Raptors are still overflowing with assets (both monetary and cap space) that they could package for one more impact move.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                          Lowry is a much, much, much better plan. Younger, cheaper, and better fit with DC's system.

That's the only alarming thing here: BC's plan had to backfire in his face in order for the correct decision to be made. Otherwise, I'm on board with this move.

I'm hoping we can recover the lost pick via trade involving some combo of JC, DD, ED, or LK.
                          Wow... No Ban actually has something positive to say for once. Hallelujah there is a god...

Comment

thead wrote: View Post

This. Is. The. Answer.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                              Wow... No Ban actually has something positive to say for once. Hallelujah there is a god...
                              Now if only we can turn your uber-homerism into some healthy skepticism, we'd be down right righteous around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X