So was plan B better than plan A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NoBan wrote: View Post
    Now if only we can turn your uber-homerism into some healthy skepticism, we'd be down right righteous around here.
    You're getting close to my good side, but we'll see how long that lasts. I'm just insanely sick of your gigantic need to put a downer on everyone. You never have anything good to say.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
      You're getting close to my good side, but we'll see how long that lasts. I'm just insanely sick of your gigantic need to put a downer on everyone. You never have anything good to say.
      NoBan's actually had a couple possitive posts today..maybe some one else is posting with his account ;-)

Comment

There's a lot of benefits to the Raptors ending up with Lowry instead of Nash. He's cheaper, he's a better defender, he's more than a decade younger so you can include him in your plans past this contract if you like, and there's a chance that he may just be straight up out-producing Nash by the time 2015 rolls around anyway.

But trading for Kyle Lowry doesn't reverberate around the league and re-establish your credibility the way landing Nash would have. I was listening to a bunch of sport talk radio the last few days and the Raptors/Nash possibilities were one of the first few things that each show had on their docket. The Raptors were relevant for the first time since Vince left and it only lasted for three days.

So to answer the question I think Plan A would have been better for big picture reasons. I think the Raptors are still one of those teams floating around in the NBA's proverbial no man's land along with the Sacramentos, Milwaukees and Charlottes of the league. There's a chance they scrap it out for the eighth playoff spot in the East and then we're all right back in this place next summer when the Raptors are relying on a top free agent to come play in Toronto and it's just not going to happen. With Nash around, I thought it might.

Comment

I love plan B

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
            So to answer the question I think Plan A would have been better for big picture reasons. I think the Raptors are still one of those teams floating around in the NBA's proverbial no man's land along with the Sacramentos, Milwaukees and Charlottes of the league. There's a chance they scrap it out for the eighth playoff spot in the East and then we're all right back in this place next summer when the Raptors are relying on a top free agent to come play in Toronto and it's just not going to happen. With Nash around, I thought it might.
            City wise, wouldn't it be the 'metro' area of Toronto seem better than those of Charlotte and Milwaukee? I think the only reason why people don't wanna come over cause it's Canada, which not many players in the NBA are from...
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Lowry is a very good player but there's a reason he's plan B. Yes there are benefits to his aquisition(financial, his better defense etc) compared to Nash but he is no Nash. I remember when Nash signed with Phoenix in 2004 and went on to become MVP for the next two seasons. I mean he was the reason the likes of A Stoudamire, Marion and so on shot as well as they did. They were not the same players afterwards without him. I hope that Lowry is only part of plan B 'cause there better be more. If not I see a mediocre team. Not much better than last year.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Right to some extent 'cause I don't think that would have been the case if we were a winning team. 'Winning' makes a big difference.
                RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                City wise, wouldn't it be the 'metro' area of Toronto seem better than those of Charlotte and Milwaukee? I think the only reason why people don't wanna come over cause it's Canada, which not many players in the NBA are from...
                Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Thu Jul 5, 2012, 08:34 PM.
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                  Lowry is a very good player but there's a reason he's plan B. Yes there are benefits to his aquisition(financial, his better defense etc) compared to Nash but he is no Nash. I remember when Nash signed with Phoenix in 2004 and went on to become MVP for the next two seasons. I mean he was the reason the likes of A Stoudamire, Marion and so on shot as well as they did. They were not the same players afterwards without him.I hope that Lowry is only part of plan B 'cause there better be more. If not I see a mediocre team. Not much better than last year.
                  I really doubt that this Lowry move is the last deal for BC. We have not used any of our other trade chips (LK or JJ, Amir or ED, Bayless, etc.)

I do not see how this team could drastically change with a trade using a combination of those assets, but we will see. I am sort of expecting one deal to get some cap flexibility (so we can keep Caldy and be able to offer a contract larger then 2.5 mil) and then another deal to secure a veteran C, but who knows?

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                    my heart says plan A was better

my head says plan B was much better
                    JoePanini wrote: View Post
                    Lowry is younger, has more potential and is a very good defender. He fits the team, especially Casey's philosophy perfectly, and far more than Steve Nash. I'd say we were unbelievably lucky we didn't sign Nash.

Let's just break down the two players' strengths, weaknesses and how they would fit in the team.

Nash: Great shooter, great distributor. But is 38 and will probably keep Raptors in mediocrity if the Raptors don't become a 50ish game winning team. Is a terrible defender.

Lowry: Young, loads of potential. Averaged 7 assists last year, for a PG his age it is pretty good. One of the better defenders in the league, seems like exactly what Casey wants and would want to coach. Has one of the best contracts in the league. Will help Raptors on the long term.

There are a lot more reasons why Lowry is clearly the better choice, but now I'm just ecstatic that this is happening and for a 1st round pick + Forbes! Our lineup next year will be great to watch, especially for those who like watching high energy hard-nosed basketball.

PG Lowry - Calderon or Bayless
                    SG DeRozan - Fields
                    SF Fields - JJ - Kleiza
                    PF Bargnani - Davis
                    C Johnson - Valanciunas

That team is a damn good team.
                    And you didn't even include Ross. Damn, we are getting good.

Comment

Nash makes the Raptors better NOW.

Lowry makes the Raptors better NOW too.

Nash has a shelf life of 2-3 years.

Lowry has a shelf life of another 7-8 years minimum.

Nash would have cost around $12M each year over the next 2 years.

Lowry will cost the Raptors half each season for the next 2 years.

Nash has a significant advantage on offense.

Lowry has a significant advantage on defense.

My heart says Nash (as thead said earlier).

My brain says Lowry (as thead said earlier).

Comment

So it looks like the majority of people think that Lowry is a far better plan then Nash.

So was Nash only plan A because of the marketability,the story of him coming back to Canada, and him making the Raptors more relevant again?

I am just confused by the results of the poll, because if I can recall correctly, when Nash was considering the Raps, the majority of people argued that Nash was the better way to go, and the minority thought Lowry was the way to go.

Interesting.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          I'm not lumping Toronto in with those places because of how it measures up as a city. Toronto is one of the greatest places the NBA has to offer but that doesn't seem to matter to NBA players. I don't think it has as much to do with being in Canada as it does with not being relevant in the current NBA landscape. Those other cities I mentioned can't attract top talent to sign there either and it is because it's hard to see the appeal. They have flawed rosters posting flawed results with fringe all-stars at best posing as franchise cornerstones... Overall they don't do anything remarkable or have any type of drawing power. Whether Nash matched Lowry's output on the court is irrelevant if it made the Raptors a wanted commodity again and I feel like he would have.
                          Last edited by Fully; Thu Jul 5, 2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                            So it looks like the majority of people think that Lowry is a far better plan then Nash.

So was Nash only plan A because of the marketability,the story of him coming back to Canada, and him making the Raptors more relevant again?

I am just confused by the results of the poll, because if I can recall correctly, when Nash was considering the Raps, the majority of people argued that Nash was the better way to go, and the minority thought Lowry was the way to go.

Interesting.

Emotion combined with tunnel vision is a crazy thing.

Comment

I don't mean to sound so negative by the way. I think given the circumstances the Lowry trade was a home run. It definitely makes the Raptors a better team than when they day started. I just don't think it makes them any more relevant, which the Raptors will need to have happen if they ever want to be able to attract any one worth while.

Comment

Nash is a super-star in the league.. He is old but in the same league as guys like Paul/Dwight/Wade/Kobe, etc. He is a difference maker, and has proven it time and again. He is a far better plan because our team needs respectability and fast.

He would only last 2-3 years, but in year 2 we could have gotten our replacement as a young PG that Nash could mentor. Nash may not attract free agents directly but others would consider what Nash did and might think about Toronto come free agency in the future.

He is more expensive, and would only last a few seasons but the upside to what he can do to the franchise, IMO is far bigger than what Lowry could do to the Raptors now. I like Lowry and think it was a great move, but I would still rather have Nash then Lowry.

Comment

Working...
                                X