View Poll Results: Which "plan" will/would have produced the best team?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plan A - Nash

15 25.86%
  • Plan B - Lowry

43 74.14%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: So was plan B better than plan A?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    You mean like a Grant Hill? ; )
    Had Nash signed, then perhaps. I was thinking more along the lines of Iggy.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Who brings more as far as improving the team goes can be debated with both sides having legit arguments. What can't be debated
    is that Nash would have been hyped to the casual fan [who doesn't post here] and they may have sold out the season.
    There could be something to the angle that plan B was preferred by Colangelo and Company. A chance of winning and closer to his kids may have been trumped by the ego stroke that comes with a superstar pay cheque. $12,000,000. a year doesn't do that.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    my mood has done a complete 180 in the past 24 hours. i felt literally defeated when nash was supposedly going to the knicks, but now that we have lowry and its sunk in i'm so excited to watch this team and have a feeling it worked out for the best. between just lowry and fields the team got a major talent infusion and i can't wait to see what else BC has up his sleeve.
    Is it just me or the Knicks are now a Poo-Poo team now that they lost Fields, signed Kidd and must match Lin (whom we know will not succeed in NYC).
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Had Nash signed, then perhaps. I was thinking more along the lines of Iggy.
    Iggy's in decline and that heel is dubious at best. This core is fine for now. His salary is quite an Albatross!
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Iggy's in decline and that heel is dubious at best. This core is fine for now. His salary is quite an Albatross!
    I'd hardly call Iggy's contract an albatross. There's only 2 years remaining and the 2nd year is a player option. I'm not dead set on Iggy, but he could be a nice addition/upgrade, depending on what had to be given up to get him.

Raptors Republic Rookie StaytheCourse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'd hardly call Iggy's contract an albatross. There's only 2 years remaining and the 2nd year is a player option. I'm not dead set on Iggy, but he could be a nice addition/upgrade, depending on what had to be given up to get him.
    Rudy Gay is the piece we need. But what would we have to give up? Would Calderon/Bayliss, James Johnson and Ed Davis be enough? A little cash perhaps?

P.S. I am definitely a Plan B supporter!
    Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
    Rudy Gay is the piece we need. But what would we have to give up? Would Calderon/Bayliss, James Johnson and Ed Davis be enough? A little cash perhaps?

P.S. I am definitely a Plan B supporter!
    Agree completely. I just worry that after letting Mayo walk, Memphis has lost any interest they may have had in trading him. There's actually an entire thread dedicated to Rudy Gay.... take a peek for more detailed discussion about him and the Raptors.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Lowry is the kind of guy that could be around for a long time. He is a great point, he's the same age as Bargs and he fits our culture. I think this is a exponentially better basketball move than signing Nash and I'm pretty pumped to see how he does.
    yes and like Doug Smith says. "he is alvin williams". one of my all time favorite Raptors.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    I love plan B
    I think Nash not signing was a blessing! Way better chemistry on the team now without having a DIVA to worry about. ) GO Raps

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Lowry is the kind of guy that could be around for a long time. He is a great point, he's the same age as Bargs and he fits our culture. I think this is a exponentially better basketball move than signing Nash and I'm pretty pumped to see how he does.
    +1

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    my heart says plan A was better

my head says plan B was much better
    This should be the headline - perfect quote.
    It's how I voted.

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post

I do not understand what other option would have been better then this? Keeping Calderon as the soul point guard?
    Not sure if this was typo, a spelling mistake, or a brilliant analogy.

Jose has represented the soul of this team (beyond his dedication). Like the Raptors, that soul has been kicked around, shown little respect, been through so many ups and downs ... yet keeps on going - however difficult the path has been.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

plan b is better if lowry stays more then 2 years to me

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of giving up all those parts for iggy. He's not even a pure 3

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its interesting that almost no one talks about the first rounder that we had to give up to get Lowry. Thats a steep price and the key difference between the Nash and Lowry options. On their own, for sure, Lowry is a better option (even taking into account that we only have him for two years).
    For all the people who have been trumpting building through the draft and doing it the right way .. Im amazed at how many people have just kissed goodbye a HUGE asset in the first round draft pick without really missing a beat. On balance, im ok with giving up the pick because Lowry is good and his contract is great .. but make no mistake .. giving up that pick was a HUGE HUGE asset to give up

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A top 5 pick is a huge deal. A 14th pick, not so much.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    I think its interesting that almost no one talks about the first rounder that we had to give up to get Lowry. Thats a steep price and the key difference between the Nash and Lowry options. On their own, for sure, Lowry is a better option (even taking into account that we only have him for two years).
    For all the people who have been trumpting building through the draft and doing it the right way .. Im amazed at how many people have just kissed goodbye a HUGE asset in the first round draft pick without really missing a beat. On balance, im ok with giving up the pick because Lowry is good and his contract is great .. but make no mistake .. giving up that pick was a HUGE HUGE asset to give up

the protections are pretty good. if the moves don't help us as much as bc thinks and we still suck we keep the pick. and then if we do really well the pick is still ours. so it should be either late lottery or just after lottery. which isn't such a strong placing anyway. technically even if we just barely get in the lottery and win 1st 2nd or 3rd this pick is still ours.

it was a good trade for us.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    ...for sure, Lowry is a better option (even taking into account that we only have him for two years).
    .. but make no mistake .. giving up that pick was a HUGE HUGE asset to give up
    Raptors fans just kill me.

"If you don't do it, you're a fool. If you do do it, you're stupid."

Post Thanks / Like

agreed to some extent .. although for young rebuilding teams, all draft picks are helpful. And if the pick was top 7 or top 5 protected Id be much less fussed .. but the thought of potentially losing a top 5 pick makes me sick (despite how relatively remote the chances might be)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    the protections are pretty good. if the moves don't help us as much as bc thinks and we still suck we keep the pick. and then if we do really well the pick is still ours. so it should be either late lottery or just after lottery. which isn't such a strong placing anyway. technically even if we just barely get in the lottery and win 1st 2nd or 3rd this pick is still ours.

it was a good trade for us.
    Not saying it wasnt a good trade .. just noting that I flipped through dozens of comments comparing the Nash move to the Lowry move and not one mention of the draft pick. The two options can not be compared against eachother without taking the pick into account.
    And, as to the protections .. I would say they are ok at best. Top 7 or top 5 projected would be much, much better. There are a number of scenarios (whether they be injury, ping pong ball or trade related) where we could end up with a top 5 or top 7 type pick and lose it. I wouldnt say they are likely .. but certainly possible.

Anyways .. not being a total pessimist here, just saying we shouldnt sweep the pick under the rug like its nothing ..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information