Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors in discussion with 76ers for Igoudala (Thorn denies rumor (#163)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

geo wrote: View Post
    How can you say that when he hasnt played a game yet...i just disagree. I havent watched TR play but he is being labeled better as a shooter fine...but there is no way you can say TR is a better replacement without playing a minute.

I refuse to believe that
    That's the problem, you haven't seen him play yet.
    Milwaukee Bucks Assistant GM Jeff Weltman (from the Bucks team website):

"I think he's going to be a better NBA shooter as his body matures and he gets used to the range and the distance. He's got a really mechanically sound jump shot and he elevates. He's got NBA written all over him as far as his size, his athletic ability. It's very rare you get a guy who is a good shooter and can generate his own shot. He's a guy who can get if off the dribble and get it in the mid-range, get it out on the floor and still have the same mechanics."

Philadelphia 76ers Director of Player Personnel Courtney Witte (from the Sixers team website):

"As good as he is on the offensive end, he does things defensively that you can't teach. He's got a big upside to him. His shooting numbers are pretty good. I wouldn't put him up there with Reggie Miller, obviously, but he's a shooter and a scorer. He's going to have a long NBA career."

Comment

LateBoomer wrote: View Post
      That's the problem, you haven't seen him play yet.
      Milwaukee Bucks Assistant GM Jeff Weltman (from the Bucks team website):

"I think he's going to be a better NBA shooter as his body matures and he gets used to the range and the distance. He's got a really mechanically sound jump shot and he elevates. He's got NBA written all over him as far as his size, his athletic ability. It's very rare you get a guy who is a good shooter and can generate his own shot. He's a guy who can get if off the dribble and get it in the mid-range, get it out on the floor and still have the same mechanics."

Philadelphia 76ers Director of Player Personnel Courtney Witte (from the Sixers team website):

"As good as he is on the offensive end, he does things defensively that you can't teach. He's got a big upside to him. His shooting numbers are pretty good. I wouldn't put him up there with Reggie Miller, obviously, but he's a shooter and a scorer. He's going to have a long NBA career."
      dude TR hasnt played a minute in a game...he is not better than demar just stop...its not like TR was a hyped number 1 prospect...he is a mid lotto pick and frankly he is a reach. I hope he turns into a great player but he is not better. Thats like saying jeremy lamb is better than kevin martin...no

Comment

LateBoomer wrote: View Post
        Philly actually loses on this trade-

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7ku3zhv
        Whoa you just blew my mind! According to Hollinger, we don't improve, destroy any cap flexibility for three years, but, Philly gets worse? Wow.

Comment

I am out on the DeRozen era. Just not buying that he's a starter or has any really special, valuable skill. I also think Ed Davis is a borderline rotation player at his ceiling. Iggy's got a price tag beyond his worth, but it's not a length that will cripple us. It will be sad when Jose goes, but the writing's on the wall. I like this trade from our perspective.

I'm not sure Philly takes the deal. They are not getting one starter back. And I think they are hoping to use AI and a few other assets to fetch a bigger prize. And they had some nice playoff moments last season and may want to ride the good vibes with the current roster for another year. but, they've got to be feeling some pressure down there to move Iggy, and maybe we'll get a ill-advised move out of them.

Edit: Specifically on Iggy... I like the idea of matching him with Lowry to really create a defensive force on the wings. He's not much of the threat offensively on his own, but he's got the professionalism, passing ability and hustle to be a piece of an efficient offense. Now if only we weren't wasting our $ on Fields...
          Last edited by NoBan; Thu Jul 5, 2012, 09:58 PM.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            You know that Bargnani didn't qualify to be ranked thanks to his injury riddled season right?
            --you know that part where I put in brackets (I know Bargs....)
            Can you read?
            Hooked on phonics?

Iggy has been playing injured for a while. If you left Raptors boards and went on other team boards you would know this

I never said don't trade Demar, Jose, or Ed. Trade them all if it's a good move!
            I said this trade doesn't work...Can you READ!
            Lol first, gotta love the hostile rebuddle no need to take it so offensively. Second you misread my point. I wasnt saying you think we shouldn't trade them im saying we afford to for worse talent. No doubt talent-wise Philli gets the better end of the trade. However raptors still get better through this trade because now we have Lowry to replace Calderon and Ross/fields to replace Derozan. And yes I know they are worse than Demar but not by the amount of +side we get from Igoudala. I agree if a better trade comes go for it but if this is the only offer we get, do it. Because even though we lose the trade talent for talent our team as a whole gets better. And even though the quote you posted was close to the end of the season, he was still able to finish off the season and now has the entire offseason to recover. I'm not to worried because if he's been playing with an injury it shows he's willing to persevere. You wanna argue it'll get worse and it'll end his career? His contract is up soon we'll drop his ass and have better options available via trade or free agency because we'll be able to absorb larger contracts. Again no need to take offense. It's just my opinion against yours.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              He's a good passer, but not necessarily a good creator. Calderon is also a good passer, but can't create anything in an ISO.
              True, but with lowry, ross and bargs lurking on the wings and all have solid slashing ability it may not be that big of an issue.

It's really hard to find that great ISO player the only non-all stars that fit in that category are young guys who may become allstars Gay, Harden, Curry, Wall, Iriving ect. basically untouchables - an exception being Mayo, maybe? -- which is why granger would be great he can handle ISO and has been an allstar

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                Lol first, gotta love the hostile rebuddle no need to take it so offensively. Second you misread my point. I wasnt saying you think we shouldn't trade them im saying we afford to for worse talent. No doubt talent-wise Philli gets the better end of the trade. However raptors still get better through this trade because now we have Lowry to replace Calderon and Ross/fields to replace Derozan. And yes I know they are worse than Demar but not by the amount of +side we get from Igoudala. I agree if a better trade comes go for it but if this is the only offer we get, do it. Because even though we lose the trade talent for talent our team as a whole gets better. And even though the quote you posted was close to the end of the season, he was still able to finish off the season and now has the entire offseason to recover. I'm not to worried because if he's been playing with an injury it shows he's willing to persevere. You wanna argue it'll get worse and it'll end his career? His contract is up soon we'll drop his ass and have better options available via trade or free agency because we'll be able to absorb larger contracts. Again no need to take offense. It's just my opinion against yours.
                Hey why dont you learn to read you piece of sh*&.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  We never had Hibbert. That pick was made on behalf of the Pacers (they chose him). Had we kept the pick, we may not have even selected Hibbert.
                  Funny how that still needs to be explained. You'd think if someone was a fan enough to remember him being drafted by the team, that they'd be a fan enough to know he wasn't our choice. I swear there was a thread on this sorta thing just yesterday...

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                    Funny how that still needs to be explained. You'd think if someone was a fan enough to remember him being drafted by the team, that they'd be a fan enough to know he wasn't our choice. I swear there was a thread on this sorta thing just yesterday...
                    I think we would have taken him. We had a need there (esp with no JO trade), he was a proven college producer, and had slipped to that spot unjustly.

Comment

• I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yes, the price is steep. But the fit is excellent.

No, it doesn't give the Raps a dominant offensive wing to win you games down the stretch with hero ball, but frankly they weren't going to get that anyway and DeRozan isn't that guy either. Nor will he ever be. He doesn't have the handle or the instincts. Or the jumper. If you think differently, you haven't been paying attention over the last three years.

What it does give you is someone who fits nearly perfectly with the team as presently constructed. The defensive potential of Lowry, Ross/Fields and Iggy on the perimeter should have every fan drooling, and would go a long way toward hiding Bargs. If Val and Ross both turn out to be plus defenders, that'd make for one hell of a defensive team.

On offense, a trio of Bargs, Iguodala and Lowry is a nice collection of beta scorers who can distribute the shots and who each bring something different to the table. Iggy's ideal role is as a part-time point forward, which would suit Lowry perfectly. It adds another guy with good-not-great three point range, but means that, assuming Ross and/or Fields can live up to their potential in that area, suddenly the Raps can hit from downtown one through four; that's a nice collection to have spacing the floor. Then there's the transition potential on top of it all.

So no, this doesn't give the Raps their superstar. But what it does give them is a very solid team that, in two years' time, would have all the flexibility in the world with Lowry and Iggy coming off the books together, and hopefully a dramatically increased profile that should help them make a splash with it.

There are no home runs to be hit for the Raps in the immediate future. But this collection of singles and doubles could still see them cashing in a lot of runs down the line.

Comment

• tucas wrote: View Post
                        Dude, I'm not hostile...I'm finding this fun actually, but, your first statement was that my whole "theory" was invalid. If you read my post instead of reacting you would have known that it was valid. You can disagree. But saying it was invalid was a non-starter. My bad if I came off aggressive...

If you check the link Late Boomer posted: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7ku3zhv
                        We do not improve with this trade, and that's if Iggy doesn't get hurt. Philly gets worse but we do not improve.

There's no rush to make a trade. We suck. We are better off taking our time and making the right trade and improving. Trust me, we can wait. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

• NoBan wrote: View Post
                          I think we would have taken him. We had a need there (esp with no JO trade), he was a proven college producer, and had slipped to that spot unjustly.
                          Andrea was still a C in BC's eyes, I really don't think he would have put that pressure on his prized number 1 pick. Plus we had Bosh at the 4. I doubt we'd have taken him.

Comment

• DeRozan can be better than Iggy why trade him? and I think this is BS and I doubt BC will do it. Just stick with what we have or trade for a different SF that doesn't involve DeRozan getting traded. Iggy isn't that good and his contract is monster

Comment

• NoBan wrote: View Post
                              Hey why dont you learn to read you piece of sh*&.
                              respect.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                                Dude, I'm not hostile...I'm finding this fun actually, but, your first statement was that my whole "theory" was invalid. If you read my post instead of reacting you would have known that it was valid. You can disagree. But saying it was invalid was a non-starter. My bad if I came off aggressive...

If you check the link Late Boomer posted: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7ku3zhv
                                We do not improve with this trade, and that's if Iggy doesn't get hurt. Philly gets worse but we do not improve.

There's no rush to make a trade. We suck. We are better off taking our time and making the right trade and improving. Trust me, we can wait. That's all I'm saying.
                                I'll finish with one more thing too then. That link doesn't include the fact that we have Lowry or that we have fields or Ross and with the trade machine taking free agents down, we have no pg, and Forbes as a sg and we still didn't get worse. Throw in Lowry and fields and see how that effects it.

Comment

Working...
                                X