Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors in discussion with 76ers for Igoudala (Thorn denies rumor (#163)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Calderon would be the most missed, since a new backup PG would need to be acquired. Ironically, he's the most expendable though, given his age and contract status.
    I disagree.

Calderon will be at least a good quality backup for the next few years and the Raptors will have an opportunity to tender him a fair-value extension.

DeRozan, although talented, has yet to establish himself as an average starter-quality player. Unless he improves his game significantly this year, it's unclear whether he is the safer or best bet when comparing him to Ross or to Fields.

I think the Raptors made a mistake by not interviewing Ed Davis before they drafted him. I don't see the high basketball IQ some see, quite the opposite actually. He's a reactive player who has yet to prove he can play well within a structured system. I like how he improved his ability to find space in the halfcourt offense last year but I also saw a player who was lost on defensive rotations all year. I am hoping his understanding of the defensive schemes will dramatically improve due to the increase of practice time but I would bet against it if it was a 50-50 bet.

I hope DeRozan and Davis will both prove me wrong.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
      speaking of which. any further news on fields?
      I believe they put the offer sheet on the table. NY has 3 days to match as Fields is an RFA.

Comment

• didn't realize that someone already beat me to the answer.

FRom hoopshype, there is some rumblings that NYK might consider matching fields. Highly doubtful given their salary commitments but it should be an interesting next couple of days, with Dwight situation settled, along with 2nd tier guys like E Gordon or Hibbert settled.

Comment

• another former Raptor on the move, in an expanded Wright-to-Philly deal:

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
          Warriors to get Jarrett Jack & Hornets only have to take back draft rights to Edin Bavcic (originally Philly-bound) to complete the trade
          My guess is NO is clearing cap space to match Gordon.

Comment

• The Wright trade makes less and less sense to me know.. I thought GSW was looking at a salary dump, but then they took Jarret Jack from NO. Doesn't make much sense to me.

@ESPNSteinLine:
            Just going online: Philly trade for Dorell Wright is expanding to include Hornets, who have agreed to send Jarrett Jack to Warriors

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              The Wright trade makes less and less sense to me know.. I thought GSW was looking at a salary dump, but then they took Jarret Jack from NO. Doesn't make much sense to me.

@ESPNSteinLine:
              Just going online: Philly trade for Dorell Wright is expanding to include Hornets, who have agreed to send Jarrett Jack to Warriors
              GSW needed a reliable backup PG behind Curry, given how injury prone he's been. My guess is that Jack was better and/or cheaper than any other backup PG option out there, or the available PGs weren't satisfied (yet) signing to be a backup (just like how several PG said "no" to Memphis before they signed Bayless).

Comment

• Should we move this to the trade thread in the "Let's NBA" sub-forum?

Comment

• oops sorry - didn't see your post.

Comment

• What is all the hype around Iggy about??? We just got a good defensive and rebounder in Fields, so why not give DeRozan and Landry a chance? Personally, I think that Iggy is a bit overrated and don't forget that Philly was just horrible in the second half of the season. I like what we are doing, no need to rush and give away good young promising players for two years as the 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs. I know that it's tough, but please have patience. It'll be worth it.

Comment

• Walnut wrote: View Post
                      What is all the hype around Iggy about??? We just got a good defensive and rebounder in Fields, so why not give DeRozan and Landry a chance? Personally, I think that Iggy is a bit overrated and don't forget that Philly was just horrible in the second half of the season. I like what we are doing, no need to rush and give away good young promising players for two years as the 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs. I know that it's tough, but please have patience. It'll be worth it.
                      The problem is that without making any additional roster moves, there simply won't be enough playing time to provide all these young players sufficient opportunity to improve individually, let alone develop team chemistry among the core group (since the core group isn't yet defined).

PF
                      - Bargnani is starting and will likely play around 32 mins at least
                      - Amir/Davis/Acy will be fighting for the remainnig 16 mins of playing time, as well as some time at C on the 2nd unit
                      --> either Amir or Davis needs to be traded (likely Davis), so that the remaining player will get enough playing time

WING
                      - DeRozan, Ross, Kleiza, JJ and likely Fields will be fighting for playing time
                      - there won't be enough time to go around for all 5 players, even if Kleiza spends some time at PF on the 2nd unit
                      --> at least one of them needs to be traded (likely JJ), so that the remaining players will get enough playing time

It's great in theory to stockpile young players and hope that they develop into something special. However, there comes a time when a team needs to decide whether they're going to stick with a bunch of 2nd unit players in the hopes that one of them finally blossoms into a legitimate starter, or whether they're going to package a couple of them to acquire a proven starter.

Yes, there is a risk of trading away a player and watching him develop into something special for another team. However, there is also a risk that none of them ever develop into anything more than 2nd unit rotation players, at which time they are no longer in demand for their "potential" and their trade value has been greatly diminished. There's no point watching all this young potential waste away being buried on the bench, simply because the team is so deep - but deep in 2nd unit talent, not starting talent.

Toronto has a roster full of young, talented players who ooze potential, but sometimes these kids need a proven veteran to come in and show them first-hand how to harness all the talent and realize their potential. If Toronto wants to take the next step and become a playoff team, they need to turn some of their dearth of "potential" into at least one established star.
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jul 11, 2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• I agree with the assessment on Ed Davis. I kept telling myself last year while watching him: "that boy dumb." He is so raw offensively and that is an understatement. I do like his instincts in rebounding the ball & he has similar impact as Amir (he's just in his second year). So if we do keep him, which I would hope they do because he impacts the game positively for the Raptors yet his skills are not even close to being harnessed.
                        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          +1 Iggy is not a very good shooter, James Johnson is a poor-mans Iguodala, with a solid mid ranged jumper.
                          Bingo!!!!
                          ps
                          And a fraction of cost (13 vs less than $3 mil).

Comment

• johnson is a welfare recipients version of iggy. comparing them like you would actually prefer johnson to iggy is so off base. you know that johnson is also a poor mans lebron at a fraction of the cost. he has the shot and defense and he can control the ball just like lebron. get that garbage out of here. not even the same league

Comment

• Mapko wrote: View Post
                              Bingo!!!!
                              ps
                              And a fraction of cost (13 vs less than $3 mil).
                              What would you qualify as a good shooter?
                              Iggy shot 39.4% from 3 last year (better percentage than Batum, Ryan Anderson, Granger, Nowitzki, Deng, Pierce)
                              Johnson shot 31.7% from 3 last year.
                              “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                              ― John Wooden

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                                johnson is a welfare recipients version of iggy. comparing them like you would actually prefer johnson to iggy is so off base. you know that johnson is also a poor mans lebron at a fraction of the cost. he has the shot and defense and he can control the ball just like lebron. get that garbage out of here. not even the same league
                                Finally some common sense. I don't get why people are so high on JJ, just because he hustles and was the best wing defender on a horrendous defensive team (especially on the wings). High energy and good effort can't makeup for a fundamental lack of skill or bb-iq. Comparing JJ to player like Gay, Iggy, Deng or Chandler is just ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X