Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Canadian are you? or Who gives a $hit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Canadian are you? or Who gives a $hit?

All this Steve Nash, Captain Canada, Oh-the-marketing-possibilities talk has got me curious. I wonder how big a part Canadian patriotism plays in determining the Raptor's fan base.

I'm a Canadian expat with perhaps less national pride than the average Canadian, but I definitely root for the Raptors mostly because they're a Canadian franchise. Yet, I have lots of Canadian friends that favor various American teams for no particular reason. I also have Irish friends that follow certain English soccer teams closely. For many people, a team's geography has little to do with their popularity. But I suspect in the Raptor's case, it's a big deal. And, I'll bet very few Americans root for the Raps or any other Canadian sports franchise.

Since we, here, are all definitely bona fide Raptors fans, let's take an enlightening survey and see what the stats tell us. People can post their own particular reasons for liking the Raptors too, in the ensuing thread. Maybe this would even help defuse some of the silly bickering (much of it involving personal attacks) that has been going on lately. I likely won't be typing any more than I already have, but voting in a poll is pretty easy.
    Canada
    64.52%
    United States
    0.00%
    Spain
    0.00%
    Italy
    0.00%
    Lithuania
    6.45%
    Other Europe
    6.45%
    Central/South America
    0.00%
    Asia
    16.13%
    Africa
    0.00%
    GTFO! I'm offended by this question!
    6.45%

Born here. Love it. Don't see emigration in my future.

Comment

Born here (London Ont .. but close enough) .. lived here most of my life. Spent a few years in the US (mostly SF area) .. and caught the Raps whenever they were in town to play the Warriors. Consider the Raps the only TO team that I really cheer for .. cant stand the Leafs, indifferent on the Jays. I guess thats because the I had forged other teams (mostly Detriot - Lions, Tigers, Wings) growing up .. but when the Raps came to TO, they were "mine". Dont feel any "patriotic" need per se to cheer for the Raps (or any other Canadian team) .. but like the fact that they werent imposed upon me and feel a strong connection through the highs (VC/TMac early days) and the lows (well, everything else .. )

Comment

Several maple trees grow near my house

Comment

Born in the USSR. Grew up in Canada. Currently live in Germany. I consider myself Canadian, so does passport control. Following the Raps since day 1. Never followed the NBA until Toronto got a team.

Comment

Born in Montreal, spent a few years overseas, and have lived in Burlington/Oakville ever since (with a 4 year pit stop in London, ON. getting my edumacation). During that time, I played high school ball, and intramural ball at university. I dislocated my knee cap a few too many times recently, so I now live vicariously through the NBA.

My favourite team growing up were the Magic. Penny Hardaway was my hero. But once the Raptors were born, I was in love.

I'm a Habs fan and a Jays fan, but the Raptors are the only team I'm passionate about enough to log into a forum and discuss personal information with strangers

Comment

Born in Egypt, from an Egyptian father and Canadian-Chinese mother. I was born with Canadian Citizenship and Toronto (where I live) is multicultural, so I can be proud to say that I'm Canadian.

Never really was into sports, except for when I was young, until last year. Followed the Raps since. You guys have been helpful to me learning about the NBA. I also credit r/nba , NBA 2k, and playing fantasy basketball as well as real life basketball.
              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Born in Toronto to a Canadian mother and Australian father, but moved to Australia while still in school, and have been here long enough to consider myself Australian. Kind of fun the last couple years, as basketball is slowly growing a bigger following here. Used to only know one guy I could talk NBA with, but now plenty of younger people are getting into it.
                Problem is, lot of bandwagoners (Heat, Bulls, Celtics and OKC). Do work with a 2nd generation Russian who started going for the Jazz because of AK47, so that's cool.

Comment

Born in England, raised in Pakistan and living my family life in Canada. I'm Canadian first and a raps fan.
                  Before the raps ... I followed the Pistons and bulls

I am Canadian
                  It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Born in Southern Ontario. Have been following the raptors since day one. Was always a big nba fan prior to getting a team. My favorite team prior to the raptors existing was The Phoenix Suns. Loved watching Barkley, KJ and Thunder Dan.

I think the passion for this team comes from enjoying the sport prior and then being there since the beginning. I have been witness to everything that has happened with this team since day 1. I cant say that about the Leafs and I was too young when the Jays started up. Plus baseball isn't my cup of tea.

Probably why this Nash thing stung so much. I still followed the suns after the raptors got here. I still remember BC trading away Thunder Dan in PHX for nothing. This is the second time I have had to be a fan of a team with his brash moves.

Comment

Personal Observations

I have personally noticed two things.

1) There is a large population in Toronto that hate on the Raptors for no real legitimate reason other than to hate on the Raptors. For example back in the Jalen Rose days I was at a Raps/Sacramento game and some young 12-13 year old punk was just cheering at crunch time every time the Raps blew and opportunity or Sacramento hit a shot. You could just tell he wasn't a Sacramento fan and was just another anti-Raptors dummy. So of course when Jalen hit a baseline jumper to win the game I leaned over and screamed YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH, right in his ear. I think he go my point.

2) The NBA more than any other sport on the planet has fans that support players more so than teams. I was sitting a Raps/Detroit game beside two kids that were cheering (very quietly) for the Pistons. At one point I turned and said "Be real with me, are you guys Detroit fans, or Iverson fans". To which they admitted they were Iverson fans. Oddly enough Iverson wasn't even on the floor that night, as the trade had just recently taken place. That didn't stop these guys from jumping ship from Denver to Detroit. I've seen it with Lebron, Melo and KG. Its weird. I don't get it.
                      Deadallus

Comment

Oh and I'm a dual Canadian and Italian citizen, but more Canadian than Italian.
                        Deadallus

Comment

swingman wrote: View Post
                          Born in Toronto to a Canadian mother and Australian father, but moved to Australia while still in school, and have been here long enough to consider myself Australian. Kind of fun the last couple years, as basketball is slowly growing a bigger following here. Used to only know one guy I could talk NBA with, but now plenty of younger people are getting into it.
                          Problem is, lot of bandwagoners (Heat, Bulls, Celtics and OKC). Do work with a 2nd generation Russian who started going for the Jazz because of AK47, so that's cool.
                          Ugh...

Comment

i am so canadian when i piss in the summer time snow grows up around the letters of my name.

Comment

Yay! A topic I feel adequate to reply in.

Always liked the Raptors cause I was into dinosaurs at a young age and thought the logo was cool! Bring back the Purple!

Anyways, My first encounter with the Raptors was in NBA Live 1997 on the computer living in Malaysia. After playing a season mode with the Damon Stoudamire as my star man, I couldn't support any other team. Another highlight moment for me was catching Jose Calderon leading the team to a playoff victory against the magic!

Then after that game I started following the raptors through raptors.com with their Game in 6 minutes cause I can't watch the games live due to time difference.

But the best thing that happened was stumbling onto raptorsrepublic! hilarious and cynical, always soothes the pain after a loss.

Now that i'm studying in Canada, all is good with lshunter!

Comment

Working...
                              X