Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Thread: Aaron Gray Resigned

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    JaVale McGee is another project. Might as well drafted Andre Drummond, for the money he will command.

    Gray does not have to play for 5 games in a row. Then plug him into the line-up and you manage to get 15 solid minutes.

    He is professional, plays with a high IQ, rebounds, takes up space and attempts to move his feet. I love Aaron Gray. He can pass too. The bad thing about him is he misses too many lay ups. For a back-up centre, he meets criteria.

    I also agree with the posters who talked about the versatility of our line-ups; both starters and bench. You can even put James Johnson at the 4 to go really small. I'm liking how the team is shaking up, but I should hold that until after everything gets settled.
    ďI donít create controversies. Theyíre there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.Ē

    -- Charles Barkley

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Rookie swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    at one point i think he was talking max deal too. a lot of our guys are rail thin and big cat and gray are meaty guys. need the weight and muscle more than anything against some of the giants that play center
    +1
    In a backup 5 we would need that strength, give JV some more help against the big guys.
    I don't share other people's concerns about JoVal's lack of muscle, but it will take a year or two until he's ready to take guys like Hibbert and D12 on his own. Gray is a good asset in that regard.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote swingman wrote: View Post
    Gray is a good asset in that regard.
    Darn right! Gray is a slightly above average NBA center, which is great for a backup that doesn't demand big minutes and comes cheap. Plus, as others have said, he's a big, tough, dude, which every team needs.

    Colangelo is really batting 1.000 this off season. Nobody pinch me, I don't want to wake up to find out he's traded Calderon for a Johnny Flyn in a sign and trade or some stupid crap.
    Last edited by Quirk; Sun Jul 8th, 2012 at 05:06 AM.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good news I like the Gray signing. For the...folks who think we should go out and sign Mcbonehead Javale or max-money Hibbert: $ and sense man. Seriously? This is a backup role signing.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote pakdawgie wrote: View Post
    Gray, statistically was one of the worst players in the NBA last year according to 82games.com mostly due to his propensity to foul. http://www.82games.com/1112/11TOR17.HTM
    There's a reason he was available last year and again this year. A 2 year contract for someone like that is a mistake.
    stats don't lie BUT Gray is a useful matchup player. He makes every one of those fouls count.
    Dwight Howard HATES playing against him.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    a guy like mcgee would only come to toronto for a max contract. unfortunately we have to settle for paying too much for mid range players. gray is a decent signing for toronto.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    stats don't lie BUT Gray is a useful matchup player. He makes every one of those fouls count.
    Dwight Howard HATES playing against him.
    Actually, stats can be misleading due to poor stat selection. Sure, Gray fouls a lot, but in a composite stat like WP he still comes out as an above-average center, despite his high foul rate, because of his very good rebounding (and average shooting).
    http://www.thenbageek.com/players/208-aaron-gray

    Great pickup for the (presumed) price!!

    P.S. Sure, McGee is better (a better scorer and a better blocker) than Gray (still a better rebounder). But not enough better for what we would pay, in money, and headaches:
    http://www.thenbageek.com/players/co..._ids[]=116

    P.P.S. Interesting to note in the link above that both Ed Davis and Amir Johnson are better (and cheaper) than McGee and Hibbert.
    Last edited by Kuh; Sun Jul 8th, 2012 at 09:36 AM.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Rookie pillowmint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just want to know how much? If it's a hair over $3 mil a season, then we overpaid for 6 fouls. I like Gray, good in your face 'who is this guy?' guy.


    nuff said.
    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default U get what you pay for...

    Rather have Gray then Jamal Maglore....

    And dont foget, a couple injuries and this guys our starting 5.

    Sh!t, he'll prob start even with JV healthy.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i remember a game where he came in and racked up 3 fouls in 2 minutes. dude cracks me up.
    @jerboat

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    Darn right! Gray is a slightly above average NBA center, which is great for a backup that doesn't demand big minutes and comes cheap.
    Gray is nowhere near being a slightly above average NBA center. I don't mind him as the 5th big but frankly, I hope he plays 650 minutes or less this upcoming season.

  12. #32
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Gray is nowhere near being a slightly above average NBA center. I don't mind him as the 5th big but frankly, I hope he plays 650 minutes or less this upcoming season.

    8 to 10 minutes is likely bang on

    15 - 20 minutes should an injury or foul trouble knock on our door

    starters minutes if the usual Raptors are decimated by injuries thing occurs just as we are approaching a playoff spot

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really enjoyed Aaron Gray's play this past season especially based on the fact he made the minimum. I'm going to withhold judgment on the resigning until the figures are released. If he signed for the minimum or anything less then a 2 year 5 million (2.5 a season) max 3 million per I'm happy. Anything more then that and I think they overpaid. There are a number of servicable bigs on the market so heres hoping we got gray at a reasonable rate.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Rookie Usagi_yo_Jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Something else must be brewing right now, it's been too quiet these past couple of days. It's like Colangelo is saying, "talk about this for now, while we work on a big deal that'll knock your socks off" . Well, at least i hope thats whats happenIng.

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Barring any major trades this looks like the team we might be entering training camp with..

    And I think we can all agree that we've slightly improved the 1,2,3,5 spot.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Rookie JalenRose5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I hate how these big men get NBA contracts on the premise that they can foul a superstar 3 times a year for 5 minutes a game. We should hire Kimbo Slice to guard Dwight Howard then. It will be cheaper and it will draw more of a crowd.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    599
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We were ready to offer 36million/3year for Nash. Where did all that capspace go? Did I miss a big name signing ?
    Mcgee is a project but unlike Drummond he already can play on both sides of the court. Mcgee would expect 7million/year contract and I would give it to him. If Casey can keep him on a leash he is a 23 year old superstar (in the making). Imagine the flexibility two real bigs will give us with lowry, bayless, demar, ross and fields in the roster. Big men like him are a rare commodity in the NBA and that is why they get big contracts.

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    We were ready to offer 36million/3year for Nash. Where did all that capspace go? Did I miss a big name signing ?
    Mcgee is a project but unlike Drummond he already can play on both sides of the court. Mcgee would expect 7million/year contract and I would give it to him. If Casey can keep him on a leash he is a 23 year old superstar (in the making). Imagine the flexibility two real bigs will give us with lowry, bayless, demar, ross and fields in the roster. Big men like him are a rare commodity in the NBA and that is why they get big contracts.
    Where did you get that McGee expects 7 million a year? I doubt there is any chance he takes less than 10 million a year. Presumably Denver is just waiting for someone to give him an offer to set his marketvalue.

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    We were ready to offer 36million/3year for Nash. Where did all that capspace go? Did I miss a big name signing ?
    Mcgee is a project but unlike Drummond he already can play on both sides of the court. Mcgee would expect 7million/year contract and I would give it to him. If Casey can keep him on a leash he is a 23 year old superstar (in the making). Imagine the flexibility two real bigs will give us with lowry, bayless, demar, ross and fields in the roster. Big men like him are a rare commodity in the NBA and that is why they get big contracts.
    We're not obligated to spend all the cap space for the sake of just having it. Plus, we're saving it for a potentional big trades, most likely.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Where did you get that McGee expects 7 million a year? I doubt there is any chance he takes less than 10 million a year. Presumably Denver is just waiting for someone to give him an offer to set his marketvalue.
    Exactly! In case you didnt notice .. we just offered god damn Landry Fields almost $7 mm per year. McGee is definitely thinking 10+ mm .. and a) we dont have it, but b) even if we did, I wouldnt spend it on him ..
    Gray should be $2 mm per year max.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •