Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Aaron Gray Resigned

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Thanks for that Matt. Hmmmm, I would than agree with stretch, the bucks on Magloire seem high for street clothing.
    I can't remember where I read it but I recall reading teams that sign veterans with so many years actually get a subsidy from the league or NBAPA. So if Magloire was signed for $1.4M veteran minimum, then the team would actually only pay around $800k. Plus, minimum contracts can go over the cap so it wouldn't take valuable cap space below $58M. It would probably make a big difference for a luxury tax team - especially starting next year.

I'm not certain on the percentage or breakdown but I do recall seeing this.... I could be wrong though but I am fairly certain.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I can't remember where I read it but I recall reading teams that sign veterans with so many years actually get a subsidy from the league or NBAPA. So if Magloire was signed for $1.4M veteran minimum, then the team would actually only pay around $800k. Plus, minimum contracts can go over the cap so it wouldn't take valuable cap space below $58M. It would probably make a big difference for a luxury tax team - especially starting next year.

I'm not certain on the percentage or breakdown but I do recall seeing this.... I could be wrong though but I am fairly certain.
    You're right; I came across that recently as well and looked it up in Larry Coon's cbafaq.

When a player has been in the NBA for three or more seasons, and is playing under a one-year, ten-day or rest-of-season contract, the league reimburses the team for part of his salary -- any amount above the minimum salary level for a two-year veteran. For example, in 2011-12 the minimum salary for a two-year veteran is $854,389, so for a ten-year veteran, with a minimum salary of $1,352,181, the league would reimburse the team $497,792. Only the two-year minimum salary is included in the team salary, not the player's full salary. They do this so teams won't shy away from signing older veterans simply because they are more expensive than younger veterans.
    Source

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    You're right; I came across that recently as well and looked it up in Larry Coon's cbafaq.

Source
    Thanks.

Always reassuring to know I am not imagining things.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information