Aaron Gray Resigned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quirk wrote: View Post
    Darn right! Gray is a slightly above average NBA center, which is great for a backup that doesn't demand big minutes and comes cheap.
    Gray is nowhere near being a slightly above average NBA center. I don't mind him as the 5th big but frankly, I hope he plays 650 minutes or less this upcoming season.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
      Gray is nowhere near being a slightly above average NBA center. I don't mind him as the 5th big but frankly, I hope he plays 650 minutes or less this upcoming season.

8 to 10 minutes is likely bang on

15 - 20 minutes should an injury or foul trouble knock on our door

starters minutes if the usual Raptors are decimated by injuries thing occurs just as we are approaching a playoff spot
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I really enjoyed Aaron Gray's play this past season especially based on the fact he made the minimum. I'm going to withhold judgment on the resigning until the figures are released. If he signed for the minimum or anything less then a 2 year 5 million (2.5 a season) max 3 million per I'm happy. Anything more then that and I think they overpaid. There are a number of servicable bigs on the market so heres hoping we got gray at a reasonable rate.

Comment

Something else must be brewing right now, it's been too quiet these past couple of days. It's like Colangelo is saying, "talk about this for now, while we work on a big deal that'll knock your socks off" . Well, at least i hope thats whats happenIng.

Comment

Barring any major trades this looks like the team we might be entering training camp with..

And I think we can all agree that we've slightly improved the 1,2,3,5 spot.
            -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
            -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

I hate how these big men get NBA contracts on the premise that they can foul a superstar 3 times a year for 5 minutes a game. We should hire Kimbo Slice to guard Dwight Howard then. It will be cheaper and it will draw more of a crowd.

Comment

We were ready to offer 36million/3year for Nash. Where did all that capspace go? Did I miss a big name signing ?
                Mcgee is a project but unlike Drummond he already can play on both sides of the court. Mcgee would expect 7million/year contract and I would give it to him. If Casey can keep him on a leash he is a 23 year old superstar (in the making). Imagine the flexibility two real bigs will give us with lowry, bayless, demar, ross and fields in the roster. Big men like him are a rare commodity in the NBA and that is why they get big contracts.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                  We were ready to offer 36million/3year for Nash. Where did all that capspace go? Did I miss a big name signing ?
                  Mcgee is a project but unlike Drummond he already can play on both sides of the court. Mcgee would expect 7million/year contract and I would give it to him. If Casey can keep him on a leash he is a 23 year old superstar (in the making). Imagine the flexibility two real bigs will give us with lowry, bayless, demar, ross and fields in the roster. Big men like him are a rare commodity in the NBA and that is why they get big contracts.
                  Where did you get that McGee expects 7 million a year? I doubt there is any chance he takes less than 10 million a year. Presumably Denver is just waiting for someone to give him an offer to set his marketvalue.

Comment

We're not obligated to spend all the cap space for the sake of just having it. Plus, we're saving it for a potentional big trades, most likely.
                    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                      Where did you get that McGee expects 7 million a year? I doubt there is any chance he takes less than 10 million a year. Presumably Denver is just waiting for someone to give him an offer to set his marketvalue.
                      Exactly! In case you didnt notice .. we just offered god damn Landry Fields almost $7 mm per year. McGee is definitely thinking 10+ mm .. and a) we dont have it, but b) even if we did, I wouldnt spend it on him ..
                      Gray should be $2 mm per year max.

Comment

McGee is interesting and could potentially be a very good center but I wouldn't touch him. The kid is an idiot and the guys in the current locker room seem like high character players and at least try to be professionals. JV has great character, work rate and has just as much potential as McGee although he will do it in a different style. I think they have a good thing at the 5 not need for McGee I'd rather them invest at the wing (SF where we need the help most).

Comment

He ain't no back up C I think a 1 year minimum deal would be ideal but oh well Management know what they doing... I Hope

Comment

I thought we were going to play either ross or Derozan at SF?

Comment

6.3 to fields, 6 for Lowry. Nobody has been amnestied or no bird rights relinquished. I think that pretty much covers it.

Comment

By Stephen Brotherston
                                NBA Writer
                                Email Print 10 Comments

The fingerprints of Raptors Head coach Dwane Casey are all over this off season’s moves in Toronto. It was Casey who saw incoming rookie Terrence Ross at a practice in Washington during the lockout and told Colangelo that this was a guy they had to watch. Landry Fields is the glue-guy defensively with a three-point shot, last year’s issues in New York notwithstanding, that Casey was looking to add on the wing and after watching Aaron Gray all of last season, Casey knew the role Gray could fill on the Raptors.

“He is one of our best screeners. You’ll notice that when guys come off of him, they get open,” Casey told HOOPSWORLD during the season. “I like a lot of what he is doing. He has great hands. He is smart. He knows all the positions on the floor defensively, so he is doing a good job.”

It shouldn’t surprise anyone that the Raptors have agreed to bring the 7’2” 270 lb free agent center back for two more years of clogging the middle and setting hard screens. The big man finished his season in Toronto with 40 starts and played all of them the same way. Gray was the definition of hard work and effort rather than excessive talent which made him a fan favorite at the Air Canada Center. In a late February home win over Detroit, Gray battling with Greg Monroe earned his first double-double of 12 points, 12 rebounds and two blocks and he was send to the free throw line six times in the fourth quarter as Detroit deployed a hack-a-Gray strategy, the Raptors crowd responded with chants of M-V-P. (It was a rough season in Toronto.) Read Aaron Gray On A Roll In Toronto for a more complete picture of what he was contributing.

The Raptors didn’t need to add a big name center to their roster for next season. They have 7’ rookie center Jonas Valanciunas coming over from Lithuania to join the team after his Olympic obligations are complete. Gray fits what Casey wanted to add in the middle, a true big man who can’t be pushed around in the post and can help create opportunities for other players.

“He sets the tone offensively for us as far as screening is concerned,” said Casey.

Gray is not expected to play big minutes for the Raptors, last season he averaged just 16.6 minutes a game. Not a savior, but rather an important role player on a developing young team trying to learn to play the game the right way at both ends of the floor. Re-signing Gray is the right move at the right time in Toronto.
                                http://www.hoopsworld.com/coach-case...aron-gray-back

Comment

Working...
                                X