Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE BIG DAY JULY 11 ( Trades and Free agent signing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jbml wrote: View Post
    I have concerns with his post return play and his injury. There may not be a reason to rush any future trades
    Yes I should have included that but I am assuming that due dilligence would be exercised on this. In the past BC has been pretty conservative in medical matters.

Comment

i want Wilson Chandler he fits very well here

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        Please see #88 in this thread...

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ee-Agent/page5

My post has more to do with how Lowry's skillset is being described (including the mainpage post today) than about Calderon's status. I would have to believe that BC would not have pulled the trigger if he was concerned about a very important component of a "good" PG's repertoire especially since it is one of JV's assets on offence and the need to develop him properly. We must also not forget that Alvin Williams, who is close to Lowry and works out with him, must have given a good assessment of both his game as well as his personal makeup which has also been an issue.
        Thanks for the insight, but not taking the fact away of having Calderon and Lowry in the point guard position would be fantastic.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

BC is all about flexibility! It has encouraged me to learn a bit about this. I think the MLE and TPE are gone??.

Unfortunately it is a bit more interesting than the recently past regular seasons
          The wild card is Fields. The Raptors have to have at least $6.3M in cap space to make him an offer.

With $46M tied up in salary signing Fields only leaves the Raptors with about $5.7M in cap room.

That means the TPE is gone regardless but they might be able to keep the MLE. My understanding is the Raptors could sign Bayless and Gray (because they are their own free agents) to a combined total of $5.7M and still keep the TPE. I could be wrong though and if I am anyone having a link to show that would be greatly appreciated!

Here is Larry Coon's

26. How do exceptions count against the cap? Does being under the cap always mean that a team has room to sign free agents? Do teams ever lose their exceptions?

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level (either the Taxpayer or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level, whichever applies to the team) and/or trade exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap1. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question number 38). A team can't act like it's under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or trade exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.

So being under the cap does not necessarily mean a team has room to sign free agents. For example, assume the cap is $58 million, and a team has $51.5 million committed to salaries. They also have a Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception for $5 million and a trade exception for $5.5 million. Even though their salaries put them $6.5 million under the cap, their exceptions also count toward their team salary, increasing their total to $62 million, or $4 million over the cap. So the team actually has no cap room to sign free agents, and instead must use its exceptions to sign players.

Teams have the option to renounce their exceptions in order to reclaim their cap room. So in the example above, if the team renounced their Traded Player and Mid-Level exceptions, then the $10.5 million is taken off their team salary, which then totals $51.5 million, leaving them with $6.5 million of cap room which then can be used to sign free agent(s).

Starting January 10 (February 10 in 2011-12) of each season, the Mid-Level (Non-Taxpayer, Taxpayer and Room), Bird (Larry Bird, Early Bird and Non-Bird) and Bi-Annual exceptions begin to pro-rate2 (reduce in value). For example, if there are 170 days in the season, then these exceptions (if they are still unused) reduce by 1/170 of their initial value each day starting January 10. If a team uses its $5 million Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception on February 1, then the exception is actually worth 23/170 less, or $4,323,529.

A team's exceptions may be lost entirely, or the team may never receive them to begin with. This happens when their team salary is so low that when the exceptions are added to the team salary, the sum is still below the salary cap. If this happens when the exceptions arise, then the team doesn't get their exceptions at all. If the team salary ever drops below this level during the year, then any unused portions of their exceptions are lost (and do not return if the team salary increases).

For example, assume there is a $58 million salary cap, and during the offseason a team has $50 million committed to salaries, along with a Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception for $5 million, a trade exception for $2.5 million, and an unrenounced free agent whose free agent amount is $2 million. Their salaries and exceptions total $59.5 million, or $1.5 million over the cap. What if their free agent signs with another team? The $2 million free agent amount comes off their cap, so their team salary (including their remaining exceptions) drops to $57.5 million. This total is below the cap so the team loses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level and trade exceptions.

There is logic behind this. The whole idea behind an "exception" is that it is an exception to the rule which says a team cannot go over the salary cap. In other words, an exception is a mechanism which allows a team to function above the cap. If a team isn't over the cap, then the concept of an exception is moot. Therefore, if a team's team salary ever drops this far, its exceptions go away. A rule of thumb is that a team may have either exceptions or cap room, but it can't have both at the same time. However, a team in this situation does qualify to use the Room Mid-Level exception (see question number 25).
          1 This is just for determining a team's ability to sign free agents and use salary cap exceptions. It has no effect on such things as the luxury tax.
          2 The Traded Player and Disabled Player exceptions do not pro-rate this manner. The Minimum Salary exception also pro-rates, beginning on the first day of the regular season.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            The wild card is Fields. The Raptors have to have at least $6.3M in cap space to make him an offer.

With $46M tied up in salary signing Fields only leaves the Raptors with about $5.7M in cap room.

That means the TPE is gone regardless but they might be able to keep the MLE. My understanding is the Raptors could sign Bayless and Gray (because they are their own free agents) to a combined total of $5.7M and still keep the TPE. I could be wrong though and if I am anyone having a link to show that would be greatly appreciated!

Here is Larry Coon's
            There is logic behind this. The whole idea behind an "exception" is that it is an exception to the rule which says a team cannot go over the salary cap. In other words, an exception is a mechanism which allows a team to function above the cap. If a team isn't over the cap, then the concept of an exception is moot. Therefore, if a team's team salary ever drops this far, its exceptions go away. A rule of thumb is that a team may have either exceptions or cap room, but it can't have both at the same time. However, a team in this situation does qualify to use the Room Mid-Level exception (see question number 25).

I think the 6.3 for the Field's offer (outside of a S&T) can only come from cap room; therefore I think BC had to make the decision then; ( Cap Room vs Exemptions). Perhaps the Bayless Q offer being rescinded was also effected by this decision . I am certainly am not saying I know???
            Last edited by jbml; Mon Jul 9, 2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I think the 6.3 for the Field's offer (outside of a S&T) can only come from cap room; therefore I think BC had to make the decision then; ( Cap Room vs Exemptions). Perhaps the Bayless Q offer being rescinded was also effected by this decision . I am certainly am not saying I know???
              A rule of thumb is that a team may have either exceptions or cap room, but it can't have both at the same time.

Right. But to use the cap room a team has to renounce the exception. You can have salaries under the cap and exceptions - you just can't use them both.

I still think the Raps can offer Fields and keep the MLE.

Comment

OK

But in order to get an exception you have to be over the cap. I think the Field's scenario is similar to the first bolded section. It may be to our advantage to get a S&T with the Knicks

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level (either the Taxpayer or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level, whichever applies to the team) and/or trade exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap1. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question number 38). A team can't act like it's under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or trade exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.
                From Q 26

The basic rule of the NBA's salary cap is that a team's team salary must stay below the cap unless the team is using an exception. In a system with a soft cap, exceptions are the mechanisms that allow teams to function while above the cap.
                From Q 25

Please don't misunderstand here. I am not trying to prove right or wrong I am just very interested in where the raps are going with this. I certainly respect your opinion on this matter.
                Last edited by jbml; Mon Jul 9, 2012, 04:58 PM.

Comment

OK

But in order to get an exception you have to be over the cap. I think the Field's scenario is similar to the first bolded section. It may be to our advantage to get a S&T with the Knicks

From Q 26

From Q 25

Please don't misunderstand here. I am not trying to prove right or wrong I am just very interested in where the raps are going with this. I certainly respect your opinion on this matter.
                  As I respect your's. To be clear, there is no hostility in my response.

I most definitely agree a sign and trade with the Knicks is the best course of action. However, it takes 2 willing teams to perform such an act. I do not think the Raps and Knicks are on the best terms - as it should be with divisional rivals, in my opinion.

I interpreted the bold sections to have other meaning. From the quoted CBA FAQ section above:

A team can't act like it's under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or trade exceptions.

This is pretty straightforward. The Raptors cannot go sign Batum and then use their TPE or MLE. However, what about their own free agents, in particular Gray and Bayless? That is my question. In signing your own free agents while staying under the salary cap does that entitle a team to keep exceptions? I believe it does.

Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap.

You did not bold this section but it speaks to my issue. Currently the Raps have $46M in salary. To sign Fields they need at least $6.3M in cap space. At the time of a Fields signing the most the Raps can have (assuming cap stays the same) is $51.744M in committed salary, exceptions, and cap holds.

In signing Fields as the first transaction this off season, they are now up to $52.3. There is a $5.7M gap between committed salaries and salary cap. The TPE ($7.6M) is now gone - there is no questioning that. However, the MLE may still be in play because it is only $5.0M. That takes the Raptors to $57.3M which is still below the cap. But then there are cap holds for Gray (or his contract), Bayless, and Weems which takes them over the cap.

On the other hand, the Raptors might renounce the MLE, Bayless, Weems, and Gray and then have the $5.7M in cap space and the $2.5M room exception. The Raptors could easily go this route. I am starting to think it is the way they will go since Gray has a 2 year deal and the room exception can only be given on a 1 or 2 year basis (year 2 has a 4.5% increase so Gray is looking at $2.5/2.61M this season and next).

Another route is the Raptors might use that $5.7M in cap space to facilitate an uneven trade. That is always possible. I asked Larry Coon about that and he confirmed that the Raps would not lose their cap space by executing a huge trade.

Once deals are made it will be easy to figure out what they did.

Comment

I am going to take a crack at this: For those interested I encourage your critique. For what it is worth I have learned a lot about the NBA CBA thanks to the posters on this site Tomorrow it may be all useless information .

http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-raptors-team-salary

Tomorrow when the new Cap is announced and the trade and FA Signing moratorium is over,

We will have 40.13 mil in committed Salary, To this we must add Cap Holds for Bayless Magaloire, Weems, Uzoh, Gray and Anderson 15.84 mil. In addition we must add our exceptions TPE, MLE and BI Ann for 14.6 mil

So at the start of the new season we have 40.13+15.84+14.6 = 70.57 mil as our Cap hit on July 11 @ 12:01 AM

On July 11th we have new commitments totaling 13.73 mil.
                    6.33 for Fields: 5.75 for Lowry 2.5 estimated for Gray; 2.80 for Ross and .85 for Acy and minus both the trade of Forbes 1.5 and the Cap Hold for Gray 3 mil

The fields signing (without a S & T) and the Lowry trade must be accomplished with Cap Room.6.33 + (5.75-1.5)
                    We will therefore need 10.58 in Cap Room.

Assuming the Cap stays the same as last year 58 mill we will need to get our cap hit down to 47.42 mil (58-10.58) from the original 70.57

We must renounce 22.84 mil in holds and/or exceptions. (70.57-47.42)

WE must renounce our Bird rights to our FA's (15.84) and our 7.6 TPE for a total of 23.44 mil.

Leaving us our 5 mil MLE and our BI -Annual 2 mil. We can still sign Bayless with the MLE and our other FA's with minimum salaries.

Ross and Acy can be signed as Rookies are permitted to be signed when over or to take you over the Cap.
                    Last edited by jbml; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I am going to take a crack at this: For those interested I encourage your critique. For what it is worth I have learned a lot about the NBA CBA thanks to the posters on this site Tomorrow it may be all useless information .

http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-raptors-team-salary

Tomorrow when the new Cap is announced and the trade and FA Signing moratorium is over,

We will have 40.13 mil in committed Salary, To this we must add Cap Holds for Bayless Magaloire, Weems, Uzoh, Gray and Anderson 15.84 mil. In addition we must add our exceptions TPE, MLE and BI Ann for 14.6 mil

So at the start of the new season we have 40.13+15.84+14.6 = 70.57 mil as our Cap hit on July 11 @ 12:01 AM

On July 11th we have new commitments totaling 13.73 mil.
                      6.33 for Fields: 5.75 for Lowry 2.5 estimated for Gray; 2.80 for Ross and .85 for Acy and minus both the trade of Forbes 1.5 and the Cap Hold for Gray 3 mil

The fields signing (without a S & T) and the Lowry trade must be accomplished with Cap Room.6.33 + (5.75-1.5)
                      We will therefore need 10.58 in Cap Room.

Assuming the Cap stays the same as last year 58 mill we will need to get our cap hit down to 47.42 mil (58-10.58) from the original 70.57

We must renounce 22.84 mil in holds and/or exceptions. (70.57-47.42)

WE must renounce our Bird rights to our FA's (15.84) and our 7.6 TPE for a total of 23.44 mil.

Leaving us our 5 mil MLE and our BI -Annual 2 mil. We can still sign Bayless with the MLE and our other FA's with minimum salaries.

Ross and Acy can be signed as Rookies are permitted to be signed when over or to take you over the Cap.
                      A few things:

Ross' salary is $2.136M
                      JV's salary is $2.812M
                      Acy's salary is not a factor as minimum contracts can be signed regardless of cap number and a rook with no experience minimum is $473K.
                      Bi-annual was used on Forbes last year.

The theory of it all is right from what I can tell though.

A lot will depend on the chain of events and if NY will do a S&T (which I doubt).

Comment

Working...
                      X