Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 85

Thread: Wolstat: JJ not likely to return

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,762
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Ford wasn't really as "me first" as people say, he just liked taking charge and its better that way because we had no clutch players at the time. He was the reason we made the playoffs that season. I don't want to sound like a douche but Jose hasn't taken us anywhere since he was put as the starting PG. I love jose but off the bench is where he fits on this team. The strong, fast, scoring, and defensive PG's are what this league consist of now, which is why we got K Low. I can almost guarantee you that the raptors will make the playoffs this season with Lowry starting because he is a major upgrade at that position. Plus with the infusion of talent we're getting this summer, this team is just waiting to explode like a freakin nuclear bomb.
    i second your feelings on ford and wish he didnt have a bad spine. he was a good pg

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    James Johnson is our best perimeter defender who can also hold his own in the 4 spot. I don't get this speculation. I hope it's not true.

    We're already losing Bayless, not James Johnson too ...
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Bayless and JJ gone... that alone makes this a happy offseason for me!
    so what did Colangelo get for Bosh then...?


    Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    James Johnson is our best perimeter defender who can also hold his own in the 4 spot. I don't get this speculation. I hope it's not true.

    We're already losing Bayless, not James Johnson too ...
    +1
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  4. #24
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Hmmm, this is still pure speculation though. Nothing concrete. Rush is more difficult to get here than Wright as GState is really high on him.
    I think he heard something through the grapevine.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Rookie JackfromNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We already have so much depth on the wings! I can see calderon getting packaged in some sort of deal. heaps of teams are looking for expiring contracts! but do we really need more wing players?

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    JJ is obviously very popular. Big fan of JJ myself. Solid defensive player. Something happened during the season which relegated him to the bench. BC and Co. did not give specifics but whatever happened has made him fall out of their favor. I hope they work things out. I'd love to see him stay.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Regardless of the credibility of Wolstat, I was under the impression that Johnson is a goner anyway. Looks like Fields is here to stay, and Kleiza seems more valuable as a welcoming committee for Jonas than a basketball player. There's no point holding onto Johnson as a 3rd SF, especially with Ross being able to play that position in spurts also.

    Johnson is the opposite of Bargnani, but just as troublesome. All defense, no offense.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Isn't James Johnson "Incident" everyone is referring to basically the same thing Kyle Lowry went through in Houston? Doesn't make sense that JJ would be on the outs because of this when we just acquired a point guard with the exact same type of problem(s).
    your pal,
    ebrian

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Isn't James Johnson "Incident" everyone is referring to basically the same thing Kyle Lowry went through in Houston? Doesn't make sense that JJ would be on the outs because of this when we just acquired a point guard with the exact same type of problem(s).
    The difference is that Lowry is actually skilled enough to backup his claims. Johnson, not so much...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Isn't James Johnson "Incident" everyone is referring to basically the same thing Kyle Lowry went through in Houston? Doesn't make sense that JJ would be on the outs because of this when we just acquired a point guard with the exact same type of problem(s).
    I think there is a difference between the two.

    From all accounts Johnsons wanted a bigger role on the team. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing and probably isn't punishable. How he approached it ofcourse is another story, and it must have been boneheaded enough to land in the dog house. He took his disagreement with the coach standing up, admitted he made the mistake, kept it private and kept playing.

    Lowry on the other butted heads with McHale, took it public and then made a demand of either the coach goes or he goes.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Isn't James Johnson "Incident" everyone is referring to basically the same thing Kyle Lowry went through in Houston? Doesn't make sense that JJ would be on the outs because of this when we just acquired a point guard with the exact same type of problem(s).
    If that's actually what the problem was with JJ last year, then maybe. But I don't think it was about playing time/role. I have a feeling there's more to it than that, despite what was said publicly.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

  12. #32
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Raptors no longer need JJ. If they could move him for a good backup PG like Ridnour or someone like that it would be great.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    I think there is a difference between the two.

    From all accounts Johnsons wanted a bigger role on the team. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing and probably isn't punishable. How he approached it ofcourse is another story, and it must have been boneheaded enough to land in the dog house. He took his disagreement with the coach standing up, admitted he made the mistake, kept it private and kept playing.

    Lowry on the other butted heads with McHale, took it public and then made a demand of either the coach goes or he goes.
    This is the important distinction between the Lowry/JJ parallel. If JJ wanted his role increased then he should push for that, within the context of Casey's team management. Sounds like he may have had a hissy about it but he kept it within the locker room, realized he made a mistake and it passed. He has shown a willingness to work and improve, and that's what you look for in a player. He's young, has a role as a defender and facilitator (good assist average for a SF) that he provides at a reasonable price. Keep him, let him grow and let's see where we are by the trade deadline.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    I think there is a difference between the two.

    From all accounts Johnsons wanted a bigger role on the team. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing and probably isn't punishable. How he approached it ofcourse is another story, and it must have been boneheaded enough to land in the dog house. He took his disagreement with the coach standing up, admitted he made the mistake, kept it private and kept playing.

    Lowry on the other butted heads with McHale, took it public and then made a demand of either the coach goes or he goes.
    Excellent points.

    The fact that this was dealt with in house is nothing but a positive. I have read nothing as to what actually happened another plus, but the timing certainly coincided with the emerging playing time of Anderson.

    Pretty much everybody here expects something else to happen, someone will be gone. JJ may very well be one of them. DC's comments about shooters being born leads me to believe the coach has confidence in being able to teach defense and not so much shooting. I like what JJ brings, perhaps it is his shooting ability more than anything that will lead him out of Toronto.

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Re the differences between the "incidents" per JJ & Lowry....JJ is a relative rookie still on his first contract while Lowry has been in the L 5 seasons and on his second contract. All young players have an inflated view of their talents as well are looking towards their second deal. In order to gain a lucrative one they also need the pt to show their stuff. Lowry now considers himself the established starter and got pissed at a new coach who would not give him his position back after returning from an injury. In Lowry's case it started during a game when McHale physically pulled him into the huddle possibly because of a pout and play. JJ's I believe was locker room.

    The above of course does not absolve both players from reacting the way they did. These issues have to be handled internally. McHale also has a history of being abrasive/stubborn with players (including more on the Rockets). Havent most of us had similar incidents based on work as well as pay levels/promotions? We of course can choose to leave...the players cannot...they get traded or let go...and this is how they make the "leaving" happen.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,719
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    The Raptors no longer need JJ. If they could move him for a good backup PG like Ridnour or someone like that it would be great.
    Funny that you said that. I read a speculation on Bleacherreport (probably mean that it's false) that said that the Raptors should trade JJ for Ridnour...

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Regardless of the credibility of Wolstat, I was under the impression that Johnson is a goner anyway. Looks like Fields is here to stay, and Kleiza seems more valuable as a welcoming committee for Jonas than a basketball player. There's no point holding onto Johnson as a 3rd SF, especially with Ross being able to play that position in spurts also.

    Johnson is the opposite of Bargnani, but just as troublesome. All defense, no offense.
    JJ is under contract .. $2.8 mm for this year. I cant imagine he will be gone. I think hes a push vs Landry Fields (better D, worse O). THey should be making roughly the same money, not the ridiculus offer we have Fields.

    As for Ross / DD - there should be enough minutes to go aruond between the 2/3 positions that they get time along with Fields, JJ and Kleiza.

    JJ is the most versatile guy that we have and I hope we keep him for a long time. Im sure this rumour is mostly BS .. if its not, Id be dissapointed.

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    Funny that you said that. I read a speculation on Bleacherreport (probably mean that it's false) that said that the Raptors should trade JJ for Ridnour...
    Bleacher report is garbage bro
    @jerboat

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    As for Ross / DD - there should be enough minutes to go aruond between the 2/3 positions that they get time along with Fields, JJ and Kleiza.
    A 5-man wing rotation? Too much for my liking.

    Whether it's Johnson or not, somebody needs to go. Otherwise we're simple wasting trade-able assets.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    JJ can certainly go. Kleiza probably plays more at the 4 than 3 anyways.
    @jerboat

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •