Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wolstat: JJ not likely to return

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    JJ wanted a bigger piece of the team pie so Casey let him know who was boss
    I honestly think that this was at the heart of it. JJ knows (just like all of us do) how talented he is. Instead of being humble and taking his role in stride, he expects to be a starter and a certain amount of respect he just hasn't earned. Actually, it's laughable and completely insane that he would think anyone should give a sh*t about him playing one year of halfway decent basketball for a bad team.

It's really too bad because his skill set is unique and he can definitley be a key roll player on a playoff team one day because of his ability to play defense. His attitude might stop him from becoming a great role player for 15 years.

Good riddance, i guess, but we may find ourselves needing a guy exactly like him later on.,...

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    As for JJ, I think he became overrated by most fans his first year with the team, when he was about the only player who put forth any semblence of effort, thus becoming the best defender on a team allergic to defense. I think he gambles too much for steals and blocks, often leaving his man or missing rotations. He thinks he's much better offensively than he is and is far too inconsistent making open shots from outside, which is what his job is supposed to be.
    I agree; personally I don't think JJ is that good on defense, his stats (steals and blocks) are misleading and in fact inflated by playing bad (too much gambling) defense. I don't think he should qualify as our best perimeter defender. Now, if he would gamble less he might be. At the moment he is also too much of a liability on offense.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Our team desperately needs some form of talent infusion, and I don't think Lowry is enough. Most of the games we lost last year were because we couldn't score when it mattered (and because we had "Lottery-ball" Butler on the team). I hope the reason why JJ is not part of our plans is more so because we are looking to add more talent, and not because of that blow up with Casey. Every player has some kind of ego, and that's just part of the business of dealing with athletes. I think JJ is a serviceable player that would be good as an 8-10th man. But if we are swapping JJ for Fields, I think we need to do a lot better.

If the plan is to get someone like Iggy, Deng or Gay then yeah JJ needs to go. I'd even swap JJ for Wilson Chandler at this point. However there isn't really anyone else out there that catches my eye that would be a big upgrade to the SF position that could be made available from another team.

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    A 5-man wing rotation? Too much for my liking.

Whether it's Johnson or not, somebody needs to go. Otherwise we're simple wasting trade-able assets.
    You have 12 active guys. Isnt the right split
    JC/KL
    DD/QR/LF/JJ/LK
    AB/JV/ED/AJ/AG

With Quincy Acy as a garbage man who hopefully has better suits than Reggie Evans?

We certainly dont need MORE big men. A third PG I could talk myself into certainly ..

?

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Ben Uzoh going to be the 3rd point guard? He had a triple double!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trade Demar Derozan before James Johnson

I would trade Demar Derozan first before James Johnson.

- Derozan is over-rated and over-hyped. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but not more than an athletic wing that can only score. Not a good rebounder or passer or defender. Other teams would tend to over-value Derozan a lot more than over-value James Johnson because of his scoring. JJ is a good solid backup SF simply with his defensive intensity, toughness and athleticism.

- Derozan can help us land a quality SF through trade. Let TRoss and LFields care for the 2 as we look for a solid 3 first.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    You have 12 active guys. Isnt the right split
    JC/KL
    DD/QR/LF/JJ/LK
    AB/JV/ED/AJ/AG

With Quincy Acy as a garbage man who hopefully has better suits than Reggie Evans?

We certainly dont need MORE big men. A third PG I could talk myself into certainly ..

?
    I actually hope Acy cracks the everyday rotation. As a backup big, I like what he brings to the table much more than Davis.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

We need shooters. With Fields and Ross (being known to be good defenders) will make JJ expendable because he is a defender, without a great shot. Everyone is talking about Rush and Wright, I like them both, but I would much rather a veteran.

Honestly though, I'd rather have Kleiza go, but since JoVal is coming, someone needs to blanket the big man.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    We need shooters. With Fields and Ross (being known to be good defenders) will make JJ expendable because he is a defender, without a great shot. Everyone is talking about Rush and Wright, I like them both, but I would much rather a veteran.

Honestly though, I'd rather have Kleiza go, but since JoVal is coming, someone needs to blanket the big man.

Rush and Wright were my ramblings. Rush came from a GSW scribe rumour. Wright came from the known fact GS wants him gone.

As for veterans: Wright will be entering his 9th season and Rush his 5th. Does that not classify as veterans?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Rush and Wright were my ramblings. Rush came from a GSW scribe rumour. Wright came from the known fact GS wants him gone.

As for veterans: Wright will be entering his 9th season and Rush his 5th. Does that not classify as veterans?
    Years in the league I guess, but no so much 'experience' in the league compared to an older player like Raja Bell, or Grant Hill. Seen playoffs, defended best players, made big plays. The guy who's seen EVERYTHING. Just my opinion on a veteran.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if a deal could be worked out that is basically Bayless (S&T) for Wright. If Jenkins were included (non-guaranteed), then JJ could also possibly be included.

Wright would provide 3pt sharpshooting for the Raptors, essentially replacing JJ (Raps would still have 5 wings, or 6 if only Bayless is included).

Bayless would be a good backup/insurance PG behind Steph Curry and I think he'd fit really well into GSW's up-tempo style of offense.

Bayless' QO was roughly the same amount as Wright's contract (~ $4.1M), so a deal would seemingly work salary-wise.

Post Thanks / Like

Years in the league I guess, but no so much 'experience' in the league compared to an older player like Raja Bell, or Grant Hill. Seen playoffs, defended best players, made big plays. The guy who's seen EVERYTHING. Just my opinion on a veteran.
    Given how loaded Toronto already is at the wing positition (DD, JJ, Kleiza, Ross, Fields), the only "experienced veteran" that I would bother trading for is somebody like Iggy or Deng. I personally think Wright would be a good minor addition, who would also fit that veteran description. Otherwise I'd target a talented young veteran (ie: Gay). I personally want nothing to do with guys like Bell or Hill. Yes they are veterans, but their best days are well behind them and aren't worth what it would likely cost to acquire them (ie: salary and/or assets).

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Surprised no one caught this tweet. On iPhone so someone else can find the tweet for me. From last night I believe.

Sign and trade for Rush or trade for Wright in GS would be fine with me. Much prefer Rush.
    How bad was his "implosion" with Casey? I don't get getting a rid of you best defender for a minor infraction (or was it minor?)?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote changv10 wrote: View Post

- Derozan is over-rated and over-hyped. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but not more than an athletic wing that can only score. Not a good rebounder or passer or defender. Other teams would tend to over-value Derozan a lot more than over-value James Johnson because of his scoring. JJ is a good solid backup SF simply with his defensive intensity, toughness and athleticism.

- Derozan can help us land a quality SF through trade. Let TRoss and LFields care for the 2 as we look for a solid 3 first.
    What would you "expect" for DD?
    DD & JJ for D Williams? (apparently Minnie is "shopping" Williams).

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Isn't Ben Uzoh going to be the 3rd point guard? He had a triple double!
    If we let JB walk -not much of a choice.
    What happened with Machado? Apparently he was not drafted. Being a 3rd PG, Jose leaves next year -Machado has a chance to be a backup. Would that interest him?

Post Thanks / Like

someone snatched him up already, forget who. houston?
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mapko wrote: View Post
    How bad was his "implosion" with Casey? I don't get getting a rid of you best defender for a minor infraction (or was it minor?)?
    I'm not sure JJ is the best defender. If you are going on steals and blocks, then yes, other metrics, then no.

Also, DC has been talking about shooters. He wants shooters. JJ is not a shooter. Please don't kill the messenger.

Finally, if JJ thinks he is a starter and is unhappy with anything less and DC does not think he is a starter, it might be best to part ways. Cancers are not healthy in humans or on basketball teams. I am not saying JJ is a cancer but saying DC may view him as a cancer - that is not something I am privy to..... unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    someone snatched him up already, forget who. houston?
    For their summer league roster.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote changv10 wrote: View Post

Jeez. Now that you've let the cat out of the bag, all the GM's in the league are going to know he is over-hyped! Damn. Raps could have really managed a one-sided trade if not for you blurting the truth out like that. ;-)

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Mind if I ask for a bit of clarification on this?

For me, these are two guys who left EVERYTHING out on the floor and gave 120% everynight, no matter what.

I'm actually quite the opposite. If both these guys are gone, I would be more than a little upset.
    I agree with you 100% joey. Bayless produced at an ELITE level whenever he had a chance to start, he has been referred to defensively by dwayne casey as: "Our best on the ball defender" and he shot 42% from the 3 pt line last year, which was a huge weakness for our team last year. James johnson became the first raptor to EVER lead the team in both steals and blocks, his shooting improved as the season went on and he is a stat stuffer.

How people can be so happy that these guys will not be returning is beyond me.

I've said this before and I will say it again, sometimes I think we need to change the name of this website to "HatersRepublic".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information