Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
that 'stat padding' doesn't matter to defense rating. As it does not matter who scored or who didn't. Who rebounded and who didn't. Just how many points the team (or the opposition) scored with him on the floor.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. The numbers I listed above don't care about this at all. This is more of a WP vs PER thing.

I also think you missed my point on the 'noise' issue. There is just as much noise, if not more, in watching games.
I get your point, maybe I was rambling a bit.

I Agree that there is just as much noise, if not more, in watching games. That's why I am of the opinion that there is no way to accurately judge how good or bad a player is. We can only make arguments based on stats or what we've seen. For a good argument you need more than one type of stat. For instance, if Johnson did wel on Defensive rating as well as situational stats I'd be much more inclined to agree (or at least not argue with) the statement that he is a very good defender. In his case, different stats contradict each other.

I started rambling about boxscore stats (and their inclusion in wp and such) because of your statement that you think there are stats that can accurately judge how good or bad a player is. I already said why I didn't think Defensive Rating (and related stats) doesn't qualify and thought I'd mention a few reasons why other types of stats don't qualify in my opinion as well.

And that's about it.