Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Wolstat: JJ not likely to return

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    that 'stat padding' doesn't matter to defense rating. As it does not matter who scored or who didn't. Who rebounded and who didn't. Just how many points the team (or the opposition) scored with him on the floor.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. The numbers I listed above don't care about this at all. This is more of a WP vs PER thing.

I also think you missed my point on the 'noise' issue. There is just as much noise, if not more, in watching games.
    I get your point, maybe I was rambling a bit.

I Agree that there is just as much noise, if not more, in watching games. That's why I am of the opinion that there is no way to accurately judge how good or bad a player is. We can only make arguments based on stats or what we've seen. For a good argument you need more than one type of stat. For instance, if Johnson did wel on Defensive rating as well as situational stats I'd be much more inclined to agree (or at least not argue with) the statement that he is a very good defender. In his case, different stats contradict each other.

I started rambling about boxscore stats (and their inclusion in wp and such) because of your statement that you think there are stats that can accurately judge how good or bad a player is. I already said why I didn't think Defensive Rating (and related stats) doesn't qualify and thought I'd mention a few reasons why other types of stats don't qualify in my opinion as well.

And that's about it.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    For their summer league roster.
    Does that mean Machado has a guaranteed contract?
    I would think being a 3rd PG & ability to learn from 2 diff PGs could be beneficial. Added advantage -if Jose is gone next year he is backup.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mapko wrote: View Post
    Does that mean Machado has a guaranteed contract?
    I would think being a 3rd PG & ability to learn from 2 diff PGs could be beneficial. Added advantage -if Jose is gone next year he is backup.
    No guaranteed contract based on past undrafted rookie/summer league contracts.

I am sure that Houston will be option 1 for him though.

However, if Houston decides they do not like what they see (or whatever reason) he would be available. Actually he is available anyways it is just usually a summer league player has the best chance to crack the NBA roster of the team he played with.

If Toronto (or another team) were really impressed by his performance, they could attempt to outbid Houston.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A trade will be made...but don't be surprised if this is the team we enter training camp with. We can't package up our assets, until teams figure out what they are doing first.

I mean theoretically we could pull a NJ and NY, and trade our extra assests for overrated all-stars, but outside of Dwight Howard there is none on the market. This team isn't in win now mode...
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    A trade will be made...but don't be surprised if this is the team we enter training camp with. We can't package up our assets, until teams figure out what they are doing first.

I mean theoretically we could pull a NJ and NY, and trade our extra assests for overrated all-stars, but outside of Dwight Howard there is none on the market. This team isn't in win now mode...
    If a bunch of our expendable 2nd tier assets (ie: Calderon, Bayless, JJ, Amir/Davis, DeRozan) could be lumped together in a trade that ultimately landed a player like Rudy Gay, would you consider that to be "win now mode"?

He'll only be 26 next season, so he could conceivably have 5-7 solid years as an integral part of the Raptors young core. Yes he has a large contract and is probably even a little overpaid, but he'd be a huge upgrade over any of the 5 wings currently on the roster (DD, JJ, Kleiza, Ross, Fields). For the record, Gay's probably about the only player (from rumors) that I'd consider trading DD for. To me, that's the sort of trade that kickstarts the rebuilding process, while still keeping the long-term sustainablity of the franchise in mind (I'm only using Gay as an example, given all the rumors about him over the past month).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information