Wolstat: JJ not likely to return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolstat: JJ not likely to return

Surprised no one caught this tweet. On iPhone so someone else can find the tweet for me. From last night I believe.

Sign and trade for Rush or trade for Wright in GS would be fine with me. Much prefer Rush.

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun
    I don't have specifics on why James Johnson will be gone, just that it would be a major surprise if he is a Raptor next season.
    Very interesting. I really like JJ, hope we get some value for him.

Comment

Bayless and JJ gone... that alone makes this a happy offseason for me! hehe

The acquisition of Rush or Wright would be good, but would make me wonder if another deal is in the works, given the depth we'd have on the wings. We already have Kleiza, JJ, DeRozan, Fields and Ross. Barring any additional trades, I assume Fields & DeRozan would be starting.

The only way I could see this working is if either Amir/Davis is traded. That way the primary 2nd unit would be Amir/Davis, Kleiza, Ross/Wright, Rush/Ross, Calderon. Gray would be available to matchup against opponents' traditional backup C when needed.

Comment

Well he's still under contract so...this might guarantee that another deal is on the way. Perhaps a package with Calderon?

Comment

Hmmm, this is still pure speculation though. Nothing concrete. Rush is more difficult to get here than Wright as GState is really high on him.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I still wonder if something bigger might happen and JJ is part of that. Really though, I think many of us wondered if he would be back after the little incident during the season. I don't think he's a real "problem" type of player, but maybe he is high maintenance or something.

I don't care who else we get unless it's a real upgrade. Rush, Wright...whatever, someone else who will likely be inconsistent, just in different ways than JJ.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Bayless and JJ gone... that alone makes this a happy offseason for me! hehe
              Mind if I ask for a bit of clarification on this?

For me, these are two guys who left EVERYTHING out on the floor and gave 120% everynight, no matter what.

I'm actually quite the opposite. If both these guys are gone, I would be more than a little upset.

Comment

It amazes me that with all this talk of defense the team is letting its best defender go.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                  It amazes me that with all this talk of defense the team is letting its best defender go.
                  Agreed. I'm not putting anything into this though ... He's still a Toronto Sun reporter.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Agreed. I'm not putting anything into this though ... He's still a Toronto Sun reporter.
                    +1. The initial tweet oozed speculation. Isn't JJ still under contract anyways, so unless Wolstat is privy to some trade/waiving info that no one else is........

Comment

Everything was going good with JJ until whatever happened that got him out of the starting lineup. He was referred to as the most improved raptor up until that point. Sure he couldn't make a shot from further than 10ft but defensively he started to get it together second half with less silly fouls. He was blocking shots like a madman. Then that incident happens and he is the raptors villain. They showed the Jazz game and the Memphis game on NBAtv and other than the dumb foul at the end I was sitting there thinking "Damn, this is the guy raptor fans want to run out of town so badly?"

Comment

For me, these are two guys who left EVERYTHING out on the floor and gave 120% everynight, no matter what.

I'm actually quite the opposite. If both these guys are gone, I would be more than a little upset.
                        same here. i actually consider both of them as part of the core, since both were very important contributors last season. id rather give up calderon and kleiza than jj and bayless, but thats just me.

Comment

Just personal preference.

Whether it was Ford, Jack or Bayless, I can't stand watching team "run" by a "me first" style PG. I much prefer traditional pass first PG, who look to get the entire team involved and make each player on the court with him better. I find Bayless to be too focussed on getting his own, especially when matched up against a high quality PG, when he seemed to want to challenge him throughout the game, making it more of a two-man show, as opposed to actually managing his team. I also don't like the way he clearly gives much less effort when he's not starting, seeming to mope and feel entitled to be a starter, because he's clearly an all-star in his own head. If he wants to start, he should earn it through his play, but he seems to go about things the exact opposite; give half effort when not starting, then give 100% only when he is starting.

As for JJ, I think he became overrated by most fans his first year with the team, when he was about the only player who put forth any semblence of effort, thus becoming the best defender on a team allergic to defense. I think he gambles too much for steals and blocks, often leaving his man or missing rotations. He thinks he's much better offensively than he is and is far too inconsistent making open shots from outside, which is what his job is supposed to be.

Comment

Will anyone ever know what the incident was?

I'm impartial to whether or not JJ is a Raptor next season. He has promise, but it's not like he couldn't be replaced. And while I'm no drama queen, I'm much more interested as to what happened last season that landed him in the proverbial "dog house".

Stay or leave, I don't care. I just want the scoop!
                            Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

JJ wanted a bigger piece of the team pie so Casey let him know who was boss
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X