Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever get the feeling there’s an NBA going on and we’re just not part of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever get the feeling there’s an NBA going on and we’re just not part of it?

A quote from Steve Simmons from the Toronto Sun.... anyway I feel this way !

All the news of recent and proposed free agent signings and we are on the sidelines. Oh, I forgot Aaron Gray.

Maybe it is true that Toronto will not be competitive with US markets for free agents until we start winning and the best way to build a winner is through trades and the draft.

Yet sometimes I think Toronto is being marginalized by the NBA media. Just once I would love to see the Raptors front office pull off a deal that will quiet the naysayers and elevate Toronto's profile in the league.

When I look at the changes made so far ...gone are Forbes, Butler, Carter, Alabi and Bayless coming in are Valanciunas,Landry, Ross, Fields.???? we have improved the talent level. But we're not there yet!

Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
    A quote from Steve Simmons from the Toronto Sun.... anyway I feel this way !

All the news of recent and proposed free agent signings and we are on the sidelines. Oh, I forgot Aaron Gray.

Maybe it is true that Toronto will not be competitive with US markets for free agents until we start winning and the best way to build a winner is through trades and the draft.

Yet sometimes I think Toronto is being marginalized by the NBA media. Just once I would love to see the Raptors front office pull off a deal that will quiet the naysayers and elevate Toronto's profile in the league.

When I look at the changes made so far ...gone are Forbes, Butler, Carter, Alabi and Bayless coming in are Valanciunas,Landry, Ross, Fields.???? we have improved the talent level. But we're not there yet!
    Remember Vinsanity? All it takes is a competitive team.

BTW, kudos to the republic during the whole Nash/Fields/Lowry ordeal. I've been thoroughly entertained and informed the last few weeks. My wife has been complaining that I would rather log on to Raptorsrepublic.com before I kiss her at the door. I guess I got to get my priorities straight.

Still, really love the site. There's lots of passionate Raps fans out there.

Comment

Oh for gods sake ... No wonder everyone thinks Toronto fans have a Little-Person-Complex.

Even our media types propagrate it!

The NBA head office has NOTHING to do with the moves that Bryan Colangelo makes.
      Anyone who thinks differently is being ridiculous. In my opinion.

All you have to do is compare us with the Clippers, Warriors, TWolves, Bobcats etc and you'll notice there is no conspiracy.
      Unless of course the NBAs goal all along was to have TERRIBLE teams in HUGE markets like LA and the Bay Area for over a decade ...

The NBA would LOVE for Toronto revert back to our glory days of Vinsanity. It would serve them ZERO cause to sabotage the Raptors in ANYWAY.
      Last edited by Joey; Sun Jul 8, 2012, 09:09 PM.

Comment

your priorities sound pretty straight to me.

tell your wife it's a lot better than what you were doing on the internet ten years ago.

hahaha.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

In other news the Raptors just acquired Andris Biedrins and Dorrell Wright from GSW for Calderon and James Johnson...YahooSports!

Comment

kidding...unfortunately lol.

Comment

jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
              In other news the Raptors just acquired Andris Biedrins and Dorrell Wright from GSW for Calderon and James Johnson...YahooSports!
              I can't find that anywhere on Yahoo NBA.

Not funny dude.

Comment

Admit it, you were excited for a split second lol

Comment

not at all.

now, if you'll excuse me gentlemen. I have to go change my pants.

does beidrens still play for goldenstate?
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Admit it, you were excited for a split second lol
                    Not even a little.

Comment

Not cool man, I was about to call for BC's head.

Comment

Please refrain from posting false trades. Please and thank you.

Comment

as long as BC ha a softspot for bargs and dd, who else can we use to pull a real blockbuster trade. Personally, should have drafted aldridge that yr, shame on BC!Look where bargs is now compared to him.FUCK!

Comment

You have to win to get anyone to want to come here but nobody wants to come here so you cant win. You get a small window with drafted players before they decide to go to a winner. So if you get a phenom player you better blow your load during this time so he will stay and you have to get the right talent so you can actually win. Then you can join this group of winner teams. This isn't a Raptors only problem. Its an 80% of the league problem.

There are perpetually a few teams that are "winners" and they can use all avenues to acquire talent while the rest of the league can only be built through the draft or trades. Players leave money on the table to go to these teams while everyone else has to over pay if they wanted the same player. These "winner" teams can load up on players cause they got them cheap while the not so good teams get to hit their cap and not be able to sign anyone else and continue to be mediocre. Competitive balance my ass.

Comment

It's the whole "I need a job to get a car, but I cant get a car because I have no job to afford one" syndrome. Eventually you get caught in team limbo (ala Houston Rockets) where you have too much talent and coaching to be bad enough to get a top 3 pick. If you have poor coaching and no talent on the team, you may get the top picks, but you wont go anywhere without quality coaching and players to surround your new star in waiting. To get the quality players to join you, you need a real reputation for having talent (or talent about to mature) and a culture of competing. If you have that of course, you wont ever suck bad enough to get that top 3 pick, barring sufficient key injuries during the season. Which way to tip the balance? When do you tip away from suck, and tip towards compete? Will a top player make your team a consideration if you have no hope of the playoffs? Not likely. Maybe if you are a team that makes it onto the playoffs. More likely if you are a team likely to make it into the 2nd round. The trick is, how do you get into the 2nd round (and attract people excited to play for a team with potential to contend in the future) without that top tier player joining a team that makes an early 1st round exit? You need the car the get the job, and the job to get the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X