Who should be on the trading block for the raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Agreed. I don't believe AB/DD are as untouchable as they once were, although I expect BC will attach a high asking price to each. JV is probably the closest thing there is to untouchable on the Raptors roster, but if Howard suddenly decided he like the idea of being "King of Canada" and declared his willingness to re-sign with the Raptors, I don't think BC would think twice about putting together an offer that starts with JV.
    Same here, AD and DD clearly are not FRANCHISE players,as the roster stands, no one is, so everyone is fair game to be traded.

Comment

Even franchise players are fair game given the right circumstances (Orlando).

Comment

Trade or no Trade

We just landed a new player, we also signed a new player and released some.

I say we make no further changes via trades...keep this core and simply add via D-league or on the cheap UFA route. Better to gauge the situation as games are played.

The end result with the current core will not change much with another trade etc... so why mess with something you don't need to . Wait until DEC and then trade based on stats of the team...you will get better deals once the games are one.

No need to make trades for the sake of making trades. We are overstocked on certain positions and I can assuse you some will call --- as games are played.

Regards
        RM
        It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
          We just landed a new player, we also signed a new player and released some.

I say we make no further changes via trades...keep this core and simply add via D-league or on the cheap UFA route. Better to gauge the situation as games are played.

The end result with the current core will not change much with another trade etc... so why mess with something you don't need to . Wait until DEC and then trade based on stats of the team...you will get better deals once the games are one.

No need to make trades for the sake of making trades. We are overstocked on certain positions and I can assuse you some will call --- as games are played.

Regards
          RM
          Why would you sit on assets who aren't going to get playing time? There won't be enough playing time for Amir and Davis at backup PF (even if they split some backup C time with Gray) for them to properly develop, let alone leave any playing time for Acy. The same goes for the wing, with DD, JJ, Kleiza, Ross and Fields all on the roster; one of them needs to be traded, to open up sufficient playing time for the remaining four to develop. When I refer to "develop", I mean both individual player improvement and building a chemistry with teammates; you speak of keeping the core , but there are logjams that are preventing the core from being established and actually building an effective on-court chemistry

Without knowing the trade(s) in question, how can you possibly say the team would be better off without making any additional roster moves? Dealing from a position of strength/depth to address/improve a team's weak-links, is the best way to ensure continual improvement for a team. Without making trades, the depth players who won't be playing will lose market value, preventing the team from maximizing the return for the player(s) in question.

I fully agree about not making a trade for the sake of making a trade, but I think it's safe to say that all the posters above are only pushing for a trade(s) that is in the franchise's short and long-term best interest, to maximize return on expendable assets, build the strongest team possible and allow the core group of players sufficient time to develop both individually and as a team.

Comment

I really hope Raptors keep Jose Calderon (if he wants to stay of course) and re-sign in summer of next season (4 years 18 mill?). He's type of player thats will always be able to contribute to the team, similiar to Nash. He's also a true professional, those are hard to come by, specially these days.

Comment

Stay away from Ed!
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If there is a deal with Indy it should be to get George, not Granger.

Trading block- 1. Calderon 2. Davis 3. Demar

Add Bayless and Weems if you are counting sign and trades.

Comment

I was curious what people would be willing to give up for AI. I would hope it would be a combination of players that didn't include both JC and DD
                  in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Hera's a simple answer for this thread.... EVERYONE!!!!!! Done......

Comment

If they are really into advanced stats like everyone says then they would be going against that philosophy if DD/AB aren't on the block. :P

Comment

To get best deals

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        Why would you sit on assets who aren't going to get playing time? There won't be enough playing time for Amir and Davis at backup PF (even if they split some backup C time with Gray) for them to properly develop, let alone leave any playing time for Acy. The same goes for the wing, with DD, JJ, Kleiza, Ross and Fields all on the roster; one of them needs to be traded, to open up sufficient playing time for the remaining four to develop. When I refer to "develop", I mean both individual player improvement and building a chemistry with teammates; you speak of keeping the core , but there are logjams that are preventing the core from being established and actually building an effective on-court chemistry

Without knowing the trade(s) in question, how can you possibly say the team would be better off without making any additional roster moves? Dealing from a position of strength/depth to address/improve a team's weak-links, is the best way to ensure continual improvement for a team. Without making trades, the depth players who won't be playing will lose market value, preventing the team from maximizing the return for the player(s) in question.

I fully agree about not making a trade for the sake of making a trade, but I think it's safe to say that all the posters above are only pushing for a trade(s) that is in the franchise's short and long-term best interest, to maximize return on expendable assets, build the strongest team possible and allow the core group of players sufficient time to develop both individually and as a team.
                        Dude,

To answer you first question "would you sit on assets who aren't going to get playing time?"

This is Summer Time and there is no action...your trades will only get you back what you give out...not much change in return. Unless your trying to take the high risk - high reward approach.
                        Values will change when seasons start and teams are in urgent needs....TIMING and exploiting values as they change...Buy low sell high etc... ofcourse if you get a nice deal today you take it...but otherwise dont make trades for the sake of making a trade.

We may have oversupply in one position and nothing in another...but thats no a bad thing...at the end you trade must be of value to you and the trading partner. Its a bit tough to say "you need to maximize the return on assets etc..." Its tough with the Assets we have and its no action summer time.

Peace

Be realistic.
                        It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
                          Dude,

To answer you first question "would you sit on assets who aren't going to get playing time?"

This is Summer Time and there is no action...your trades will only get you back what you give out...not much change in return. Unless your trying to take the high risk - high reward approach.
                          Values will change when seasons start and teams are in urgent needs....TIMING and exploiting values as they change...Buy low sell high etc... ofcourse if you get a nice deal today you take it...but otherwise dont make trades for the sake of making a trade.

We may have oversupply in one position and nothing in another...but thats no a bad thing...at the end you trade must be of value to you and the trading partner. Its a bit tough to say "you need to maximize the return on assets etc..." Its tough with the Assets we have and its no action summer time.

Peace

Be realistic.
                          I think that is what people pushing for trades are saying. I haven't read a single post pushing for a bad trade, just to make a trade.

Your point about it being summer time doesn't make much sense to me, given the number of trades/rumored trades that are going on as we speak. The offseason is the primary time for teams to reload for the upcoming season. Trading from a position of strength to address a position of weakness, is the most effective/efficient means to improve your team - assuming equal or greater value coming in for what is shipped out, but at a position of need. If a team waited for the season to do that, they're basically tanking, by purposefully going into a season with known weaknesses that haven't been addressed, while assets sit on the bench. The offseason is the time when other teams are looking to address their weaknesses, so I think it actually seems like the ideal timing to make trades, instead of waiting until teams have already filled the holes on their roster.

Comment

I love how all these options at SF are guys we should have drafted in the first place. Granger (Graham), Iguodala (Araujo).. you can even make a case for Gay although I won't go into a bunch of "what if's" or turn this into a Bargs thread. Or did I just do exactly that?!

The other part is looking at guys like Iguodala and Deng really puts perspective on things because you realize that Hoffa hasn't been in the NBA for like 7 years now.

All this makes me laugh, in a very "I-want-to-hang-myself" sorta way.
                            Last edited by ebrian; Wed Jul 11, 2012, 01:36 PM.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              I love how all these options at SF are guys we should have drafted in the first place. Granger (Graham), Iguodala (Araujo).. you can even make a case for Gay although I won't go into a bunch of "what if's" or turn this into a Bargs thread. Or did I just do exactly that?!

The other part is looking at guys like Iguodala and Deng really puts perspective on things because you realize that Hoffa hasn't been in the NBA for like 7 years now.

All this makes me laugh, in a very "I-want-to-hang-myself" sorta way.
                              That's the irony we want to avoid thinking about, lest we be driven to drink... the fun of being a Raptors fan!?! lol

Comment

Rob Babcock ...... ***
                                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                                X