Would you rather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you rather?

Because of all the amnesty speculation, question is...

Would you rather amnesty Jose Calderon or Amir Johnson?

IF you HAD to amnesty either of the two players, which player would you amnesty and why?
    Amir Johnson
    60.00%
    Jose Calderon
    40.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by ReubenJRD; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 05:39 PM.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Neither. No point using amnesty unless the cap space is absolutely required to faciliate the urgent acquisition of a high priced player, since Toronto is nowhere near the luxury tap level.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      Neither. No point using amnesty unless the cap space is absolutely required to faciliate the urgent acquisition of a high priced player, since Toronto is nowhere near the luxury tap level.
      But if you HAD to, this is a two option question, not a none. Say we ARE chasing a high priced player, give an argument on which player would be the best option to amnesty and why.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        But if you HAD to, this is a two option question, not a none. Say we ARE chasing a high priced player, give an argument on which player would be the best option to amnesty and why.
        I just highly doubt BC would ever be faced with a situation where he had to make this call, because I think both players have trade value (either in the deal for the high priced player, or as a deal to clear cap space before the trade for the high priced player) that would allow BC to avoid this situation. And what sort of deal is so urgent and time sensitive that he couldn't first work out a trade for Amir and/or Calderon, to clear the cap space without using the amnesty?

If I had a gun to my head with no option but to amnesty one of them, I'd amnesty Amir. I think he'd get picked up off waivers or free agency, meaning his entire contract (3 yrs / $19.5M total) wouldn't need to be paid out by the Raptors. Plus, it not only gives immediate payroll flexibility, but flexibility over each of the next 3 seasons. I also think it would be easier to trade Calderon (veteran pass-first PG on an expiring contract) than Amir, so I'd rather hold onto him in the hopes of trading him, instead of using the amnesty on him. I also just don't like the idea of using amnesty on an expiring contract.

Comment

I'd amnesty Amir Johnson no question. Jose's got more trade value, specific skills that are among the best in the league, and a sizeable expiring contract. Amir's got plenty years left at upwards of $6M and his role on the team is only getting smaller. You can get a high energy PF that can rebound and defend for around 20 minutes each game at a fraction of Amir's cost. Push comes to shove, even the slightest shove, you amnesty Amir.

Comment

Amir is a cheap version of Hump. Some team would be glad to have him as an off the bench re-bounder and pick and roll scorer.

Comment

we dont have any obvious (E.Brand type) overpayed bums to amnesty.. Jose can be delt at any time if needed & klieza will be a good backup 3/4 who will be JV's personal translater & bunk buddy.. amir is the only other logical choice & hed likely be picked up by another team so we wouldnt be on the hook for much if any of his salary..

Comment

A third choice should be added (Linas Kleiza). As far as him being a nice tour guide, the honest truth is JV doesn't need it. I saw him speaking in that program that NBATV keeps showing every day about JV. He's perfectly fine, and at that age (an adult) you don't need someone to hold your hand like that any more than Bargnani needed one. These guys are big boys, they can take care of themselves.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                X