Nicolas Batum rumors/updates, including Darko amnesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torch19 wrote: View Post
    I still don't get how a sign and trade would happen. Did Batum agree on the offer sheet from Minny? If so, Portland's options would be to either: 1) match the offer or 2) let him walk. I don't see how Toronto can fit in .... Can someone clarify this for me? Pretty please lol
    Minny hasn't made the steps required to offer him a contract. They need to dump some salary first which they're not doing. So for the time being batum hasn't signed an offer sheet

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Hypothetically speaking, lets say the Raps get Fields and s&t for Batum and it has DD going out, would you rather wings to be?

1) DD/Fields

or

2) Fields/Batum

I know what I'd pick and the selection features 2 brand new Raptors.
      haha I'd probably lean toward #2, only because Batum is a much better outside shooter and much better defensively already than DeRozan.

It might come down to just how high a salary Batum demands. We also have to remember that DeRozan will be looking for a big payday next offseason, so we have to keep that in mind when comparing salaries given to guys like Fields/Batum/Mayo and what DeRozan might seek.

I'd also look at the team's wing breakdown, not just SG. Ideally we'd get a penetrator and an outside shooter on both the starting and 2nd units. Fields and DD seem to be a little redundant (penetrators), while Batum would join Ross as an outside shooter. Kleiza is a little different, in that he is an outside shooter who can also post-up (or play PF in a smaller 2nd unit lineup). I'd like the balance that Batum/Fields would provide the starting unit.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
        But if they wanted to do a sign and trade wouldn't batum have a say in where he would want to go? If he didnt want to come to the raptors couldnt he just sign Minny's offer sheet and shut down everything? I just don't see it happening
        From what I have read it seems this is what is happening(keep in mind Batum has stated he does not want to remain in portland):
        -Toronto tells portland they will do a sign and trade for Batum (toronto likely has a better s&t offer then minni)
        -portland tells batum''s agent " either we are going to match minnisota's offer sheet ORRRR Toronto has a much better off that we would accerpt if u did a sign and trade to toronto.

Batum's options would ten be .. Sign and trade to toronto or stay in portland.

Comment

you can't submit the offer sheet to the league unles you have the cap room to do it. They are sitting on the offer at this point, trying to determine if Portland will match or not.

At least that's my understanding

Comment

this clearly won't happen. For a sign and trade to happen Batum would first need to think about signing with Toronto. He has clearly stated he wants to play for Minny and this has been emphasized by him signing with Minny (Has he in fact signed the offer sheet yet?) it would be a different story had batum visited Toronto and Toronto offered Batum a contract.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Hypothetically speaking, lets say the Raps get Fields and s&t for Batum and it has DD going out, would you rather wings to be?

1) DD/Fields

or

2) Fields/Batum

I know what I'd pick and the selection features 2 brand new Raptors.
              I'm pretty sure the majority of the fan base who have seen batum play would choose option 2 over 1. Batum is a more complete player and can shoot 3's

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post
                this clearly won't happen. For a sign and trade to happen Batum would first need to think about signing with Toronto. He has clearly stated he wants to play for Minny and this has been emphasized by him signing with Minny (Has he in fact signed the offer sheet yet?) it would be a different story had batum visited Toronto and Toronto offered Batum a contract.
                read my last post ^^^^

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post
                  No offer has been made, which is why there are questions as to Batum's status/options.

Minny would need to amnesty Milicic and cut Webster & Miller, which would all be quite costly and would seem to be a waste of assets. Minny is worried that if they do that and Portland matches, they will not only lose out on Batum, but will also lose 3 assets and be out a boatload of money.

Portland seems happy to wait, hoping to use their cap space to lure other players, while maintaining full rights on Batum (his salary will defintely wind up being more than the value of his cap-hold, which is only $5.4M).

If Batum is unhappy by the non-committal approach by both Minny and Portland, he could very well decide to accept an offer from antoher team (Toronto or otherwise) that is eager to step up and commit immediately.

I also seem to recall rumors the past two seasons about Portland being interested in both Calderon and DeRozan at various times, though I have no way of knowing if they're still interested (or if Toronto would be willing to deal one/both of them for Batum). Just like the persistent Iggy rumors out of Philly, there would at least seem to be some logical personnel fits between Toronto and Portland, just like there could be between Tor/Phi.
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jul 11, 2012, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I would MUCH rather have a young promising player in Batum than the overrated Iggy.

Comment

Walnut wrote: View Post
                      I would MUCH rather have a young promising player in Batum than the overrated Iggy.
                      What makes him over-rated, the guy is very good. He may be older than Batum, but he is a solid defender, great passer from the 3 spot, can score in multiple ways and has been quite durable over his career. While he is not Durant or LEbron at the 3, he is in the top of the small forward list in the NBA.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Keep Jose, i would give them Ed Davis + James Johnson + 2014 pick for Batum + Elliot Williams (3rd string shooter)

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                          What makes him over-rated, the guy is very good. He may be older than Batum, but he is a solid defender, great passer from the 3 spot, can score in multiple ways and has been quite durable over his career. While he is not Durant or LEbron at the 3, he is in the top of the small forward list in the NBA.
                          Agreed.

Although I can see where this idea of "overrated" would come from based on Iggy's contract.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                            Keep Jose, i would give them Ed Davis + James Johnson + 2014 pick for Batum + Elliot Williams (3rd string shooter)
                            No chance that works. Davis would be a backup PF behind Aldridge and JJ just isn't that good. Plus, any 1st round pick would have crazy conditions attached to it, to ensure it works around the conditions on the 1st rounder going to Houston (since a team can't trade 1st round picks in consecutive years).

You have to consider the other teams' needs when putting together a trade. Would you make that trade if you were Portland's GM?

Comment

Well if Portland has been told that Batum does not want anything to do with them, you cut your loses & take the best deal available. Another question; do the Raptors still have the TPE from Barbosa?

I'm just wondering. Say the Knicks do not match the offer for Landry Fields, I do not see us pulling a S&T with Portland unless Jose or Amir would be involved.
                              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                                Well if Portland has been told that Batum does not want anything to do with them, you cut your loses & take the best deal available. Another question; do the Raptors still have the TPE from Barbosa?

I'm just wondering. Say the Knicks do not match the offer for Landry Fields, I do not see us pulling a S&T with Portland unless Jose or Amir would be involved.
                                If Fields is signed as a free agent, then Toronto would lose both the Barbosa TPE and MLE.

If they were to work a deal with the NYK to acquire him via a S&T, then Toronto would be able to keep both the TPE and MLE (unless salary was sent back to NYK, Toronto would have to renounce all their cap-holds; Gray is the only one of relevance at this point and he could still sign with Toronto as an UFA if he's renounced, I believe).

Comment

Working...
                                X