Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would you wait for a SF?

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you wait for a SF?

With easy answers not found for our SF spot in free agency, do we get the next best fit or hold out for something else. I say this as, if I have this right, teams do not have to be under the luxury tax until the trade deadline. Memphis or Philly might not be in such a rush now but what happens if that part of the season hits and things aren't going as well as they hoped. Memphis particularly would be up against the tax without making a move. Or, nothing might happen and we would just be where we are now. So, would you be ok to go the first few months of the season with SF by committee (Fields, JJ, Kleiza) and hold out for that possibility? Should we save ourselves for that?

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why not. I'm sure Fields and co. can hold the fort until a replacement is found.. if needed.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I would wait. No need to pick up a player for the sake of picking up a player. There should be better options by the trade deadline.

Post Thanks / Like

Rome wasn't built in a day
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with Fields/Kleiza splitting time at the 3 for the short-term. Who knows, maybe T-Ross ends up being the next Mitch Richmond or Michael Finley (fingers crossed ) and a wing upgrade isn't even needed. No sense in rushing it if the right deal doesn't exist.

Post Thanks / Like

I want the Raptors to make the right move not just any move.

If nothing is out there, don't force it.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If the Knicks don't match, I'm convinced that Fields can do a decent job.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't there a risk of going into next summer without our SF position solved? Our draft pick is most likely going to Houston, and cap space will be required to re-up DeRozan.

Feels like it's now or never to address our SF hole.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Has Fields even played SF while with the Knicks? I just don't seem him effectively guarding 3s like Gay, Iggy, Granger, Gallo not to mention Melo, Durant, James, Pierce.

I would wait for a SF. Im hoping that Ross can effectively play the 3 though. Is a trade of Ross for a SF out of the question? I could see Philly, for an example, more interested in trading Iggy for Ross than DD as Ross has just entered his rookie contract

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a source to confirm, but going by memory, it seems that the majority of Fields' career has been played at SF.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

In that case id sit on the SF position now. If Fields could start and Ross/JJ play backup 3 that would be great.

This of course is assuming that Ross was drafted to one day start with DD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Rome wasn't built in a day
    rome would have risen and fallen by the time raptors get a competent team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DaveKim wrote: View Post
    In that case id sit on the SF position now. If Fields could start and Ross/JJ play backup 3 that would be great.

This of course is assuming that Ross was drafted to one day start with DD.
    I don't think he was drafted to one day start with DD.

I believe he was drafted because he was what they considered the best talent on the board at their selection.

It definitely flew in the face of 'analysts' and 'mock draft experts' but they are not the opinions who matter.

Post Thanks / Like

he was drafted because we needed a upgrade at just about every position
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    I don't see why not. I'm sure Fields and co. can hold the fort until a replacement is found.. if needed.
    If by "hold the fort" you mean "guide the team into the lottery", then you're correct.

Question: What kind of a team overpays an RFA by double his worth so they can play him out of position? (Hint: us)

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Would definetely wait. Let's not forget that we still have James Jofnson.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    If by "hold the fort" you mean "guide the team into the lottery", then you're correct.

Question: What kind of a team overpays an RFA by double his worth so they can play him out of position? (Hint: us)
    A team trying to do whatever it can to go after Nash. But if the ends justify the means, i can live with it.

With our current roaster right now and the way things are shaping up in the East, Miami, nets, New york, and even washington to an extent, we may very well be in the lottery again. Moves definitely need to be made to improve this roaster. I for sure don't want to give Houston a potential top 3-5 pick in the next coming years.

Post Thanks / Like

Without a legitimate improvement at SF, Colangelo's goal of "hitting the ground running" means nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

i dunno i think if no one gets added Demar will be playing the 3 with ross at the 2 and fields our 6th man
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Without a legitimate improvement at SF, Colangelo's goal of "hitting the ground running" means nothing.
    Especially he specifically mentioned SF as the one position that needed improvement multiple times. I don't think shifting DD from SG to SF qualifies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information