Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicolas Batum rumors/updates, including Darko amnesty

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nicolas Batum rumors/updates, including Darko amnesty

Found this rumour posted on RealGM.com. No "REAL" source but Yogi is a moderator at RealGM and says his source is secret but credible.
    "Rumour: Raptors nearing S&T for Batum??

by YogiStewart on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Take it for what its worth. It may be talk or it may be a la the Lakers back-dooring for Nash.

a poster that will remain nameless - and who's been around for a while - suggested that the Raptors have turned their attention away from getting Iggy from Philly and are making a strong offer to Portland to S&T Batum.

I was told that the Raptors were frustrated with Philly's delay in making the trade and are looking at Batum. The offer's apparently strong.

so yeah, take that for what its worth. may be worth something, may not. we'll see in a few days."

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

*COUGH*BULLSHIT*COUGH*

lol - we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Well its well known that Portland needs a Solid Point Guard, and Jose would be great to Mentor Nolan Smith.
    Annd they did just lose Wallace.

Jose/JJohnson/Davis and a floaty-pick for Batum?
    Not out of the question.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Well its well known that Portland needs a Solid Point Guard, and Jose would be great to Mentor Nolan Smith.
    Annd they did just lose Wallace.

Jose/JJohnson/Davis and a floaty-pick for Batum?
    Not out of the question.
    They also just drafted some guy name Lillard too -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    They also just drafted some guy name Lillard too -
    Neither of which will be ready to start come opening day. In my opinion.

Just trying to be optimistic Matt! Geeez!! haha

Everyone needs Jose as a Mentor!!
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Neither of which will be ready to start come opening day. In my opinion.

Just trying to be optimistic Matt! Geeez!! haha

Everyone needs Jose as a Mentor!!
    That is 100% true in my opinion.

Although Portland could very well just let Lillard learn on the fly but, if their goal is anything other than another lottery appearance, that may not be a good idea.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

But if they wanted to do a sign and trade wouldn't batum have a say in where he would want to go? If he didnt want to come to the raptors couldnt he just sign Minny's offer sheet and shut down everything? I just don't see it happening

Post Thanks / Like

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

More incentive for Nets to urge B-Lopez to hold off on offer sheet w/POR or CHA: If Nets match, BL essentially can't be traded for a year
    There are rumours of the Blazers going after Lopez or Mcgee.

If Batum is signed to an offer sheet, they lose the cap space immediately and can no longer go after a C.

Minny is holding off on clearing their cap space (i.e. releasing players or trades) because they fear Portland will match.

If BC comes along and says, "Hey Batum agent. If you sign the sheet, we'll amnesty Jose to make it happen."

This puts POR in a bind because obviously they are going hard after a C.

Very interesting stuff.

Regardless, I still do not believe it and any chance of it happening will likely take 3 days to work out because that is how much time the Knicks have to decide on Fields.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    But if they wanted to do a sign and trade wouldn't batum have a say in where he would want to go? If he didnt want to come to the raptors couldnt he just sign Minny's offer sheet and shut down everything? I just don't see it happening
    Minny has to make moves to create the cap space. As of yet, they have not made those moves. The contract offer is just sitting there on the table while every twiddles thumbs.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

But doesn't anyone think that Batum might be a bad idea? He has already clearly stated that he REALLY wants to go to Minny and no where else. So if the Raptors do get him, don't you think that he will lash out, play poorly and demand a trade in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

So many "balls in the air" today, to quote BC!

- rumor that Fields is 50/50 to be matched by NYK (not to mention the Lin matching question)
    - will Minny cut 3 players to make an offer to Batum, without knowing whether or not they'd actually keep him (Portland would probably prefer S&T with a team outside the Western Conference)
    - I also read a rumor that Minny was going to acquire Korver from Chicago this morning (via an exper tweet on ESPN - can't recall who)
    - Howard to Nets will be resolved today; where will Lopez sign?

Some of these impact Toronto directly and other decisions could impact us indirectly... fun times this offseason!

---

I would be quite happy to throw $6-8M at Batum, especially if Fields does get matched by NYK! Heading into the offseason, Batum was my 2nd choice for wing targets, behind Gay (ahead of Mayo, Iggy, Deng, Chandler, Granger, etc..).

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

one thing i find interesting is that this states the raps are growing frustrated with phillys delay in making the iggy trade.. if what this guy says is true.. it may be an attempt to hurry Philly up to make the trade.. kind of the way B.Lopez statements today hurried Orlando back to the nets table for negotiations... maybe were closer then anyone realizes to landing Iggy...

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    But doesn't anyone think that Batum might be a bad idea? He has already clearly stated that he REALLY wants to go to Minny and no where else. So if the Raptors do get him, don't you think that he will lash out, play poorly and demand a trade in the near future.
    If he goes anywhere in a S&T it is still his decision. He has to sign-off on it wherever he goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    So many "balls in the air" today, to quote BC!

- rumor that Fields is 50/50 to be matched by NYK (not to mention the Lin matching question)
    - will Minny cut 3 players to make an offer to Batum, without knowing whether or not they'd actually keep him (Portland would probably prefer S&T with a team outside the Western Conference)
    - I also read a rumor that Minny was going to acquire Korver from Chicago this morning (via an exper tweet on ESPN - can't recall who)
    - Howard to Nets will be resolved today; where will Lopez sign?

Some of these impact Toronto directly and other decisions could impact us indirectly... fun times this offseason!

---

I would be quite happy to throw $6-8M at Batum, especially if Fields does get matched by NYK! Heading into the offseason, Batum was my 2nd choice for wing targets, behind Gay (ahead of Mayo, Iggy, Deng, Chandler, Granger, etc..).
    Hypothetically speaking, lets say the Raps get Fields and s&t for Batum and it has DD going out, would you rather wings to be?

1) DD/Fields

or

2) Fields/Batum

I know what I'd pick and the selection features 2 brand new Raptors.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I still don't get how a sign and trade would happen. Did Batum agree on the offer sheet from Minny? If so, Portland's options would be to either: 1) match the offer or 2) let him walk. I don't see how Toronto can fit in .... Can someone clarify this for me? Pretty please lol
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    I still don't get how a sign and trade would happen. Did Batum agree on the offer sheet from Minny? If so, Portland's options would be to either: 1) match the offer or 2) let him walk. I don't see how Toronto can fit in .... Can someone clarify this for me? Pretty please lol
    Minny hasn't made the steps required to offer him a contract. They need to dump some salary first which they're not doing. So for the time being batum hasn't signed an offer sheet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Hypothetically speaking, lets say the Raps get Fields and s&t for Batum and it has DD going out, would you rather wings to be?

1) DD/Fields

or

2) Fields/Batum

I know what I'd pick and the selection features 2 brand new Raptors.
    haha I'd probably lean toward #2, only because Batum is a much better outside shooter and much better defensively already than DeRozan.

It might come down to just how high a salary Batum demands. We also have to remember that DeRozan will be looking for a big payday next offseason, so we have to keep that in mind when comparing salaries given to guys like Fields/Batum/Mayo and what DeRozan might seek.

I'd also look at the team's wing breakdown, not just SG. Ideally we'd get a penetrator and an outside shooter on both the starting and 2nd units. Fields and DD seem to be a little redundant (penetrators), while Batum would join Ross as an outside shooter. Kleiza is a little different, in that he is an outside shooter who can also post-up (or play PF in a smaller 2nd unit lineup). I'd like the balance that Batum/Fields would provide the starting unit.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    From what I have read it seems this is what is happening(keep in mind Batum has stated he does not want to remain in portland):
    -Toronto tells portland they will do a sign and trade for Batum (toronto likely has a better s&t offer then minni)
    -portland tells batum''s agent " either we are going to match minnisota's offer sheet ORRRR Toronto has a much better off that we would accerpt if u did a sign and trade to toronto.

Batum's options would ten be .. Sign and trade to toronto or stay in portland.

Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

you can't submit the offer sheet to the league unles you have the cap room to do it. They are sitting on the offer at this point, trying to determine if Portland will match or not.

At least that's my understanding

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

this clearly won't happen. For a sign and trade to happen Batum would first need to think about signing with Toronto. He has clearly stated he wants to play for Minny and this has been emphasized by him signing with Minny (Has he in fact signed the offer sheet yet?) it would be a different story had batum visited Toronto and Toronto offered Batum a contract.

Thread Information