Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 91

Thread: If the Knicks match Fields, what is plan B?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default If the Knicks match Fields, what is plan B?

    If NY matches Fields, what is your hope for plan B in free agency?
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Jul 12th, 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Just free agents! Plenty of trade threads going on

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Personally, I like Brandon Rush.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Go all-in on Gay or Iggy

    Or worse-case scenario, move DeRozan to SF, and start Ross at SG.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Go all-in on Gay or Iggy

    Or worse-case scenario, move DeRozan to SF, and start Ross at SG.
    I should have been more specific on the assumption of a free agent signing/pursuit.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think that would be the best news we could have to get out of this situation. We have too many 2s already, DD, Ross, and Fields and not enough 3s (arguably no real 3s).

    With Fields on our roaster what would our starting line be? Do we force DD to play the 3? Or Fields? Or even Ross?

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really hope plan A fails.

    I'd like to see a strong pitch made for a trade with OKC for James Harden using a combo of Calderon/DD/ED/Amir/Cap releif.

    Lowry
    Harden
    T. Ross
    Bargnani
    JV

    Since that will never happen I'll throw my hat in for giving JJ another year while searching for a better option. At the least he works hard of D and for the most part you don't have to double team the guy he is defending. IMO his ability to rotate, cover his own man and block shots was a big part of why the Rap's were so good at limiting points in the paint last season.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Go all-in on Gay or Iggy

    Or worse-case scenario, move DeRozan to SF, and start Ross at SG.
    I totally agree that Gay or Iggy would be my 1st choice.

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I should have been more specific on the assumption of a free agent signing/pursuit.
    There's not many free agents out there that I like for this team. I agree with you that Rush would be a nice complimentary piece, given his 3pt shooting. However, after trading away Wright, I think GSW will sign/match any reasonable offer.

    The only other free agents who I have any interest in would be:
    - OJ Mayo (Phoenix wants him if NO matches Gordon)
    - Courtney Lee (I had heard he was signing with Boston, but haven't heard confirmation)
    - CJ Miles (I had heard he was signing with Dallas early on, but nothing recently)

    I don't know that Lee or Miles would be much of an upgrade over the wings we already have though. Rush and Mayo are really the only ones that intrigue me, but even they wouldn't have near the impact that Gay/Iggy would, IMO.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Rudy Gay, if only...

    I like the idea of Brandon Rush. Don't know too much about his personality or if he's a good fit in the locker room, but the dude can shoot the lights out and seems competent on D. He could also bring us some experience and consistency when T-Ross is struggling.

    Are any solid, pure SF vets still available or even possibly to bring here? Grant Hill, Raja Bell? Matt Barnes would be hilarious/awesome to see on this squad.

    Edit: I guess we've already tried the veteran SF thing a few too many times and they've all come up short...
    Last edited by Phil; Thu Jul 12th, 2012 at 03:10 PM.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DaveKim wrote: View Post
    I think that would be the best news we could have to get out of this situation. We have too many 2s already, DD, Ross, and Fields and not enough 3s (arguably no real 3s).

    With Fields on our roaster what would our starting line be? Do we force DD to play the 3? Or Fields? Or even Ross?
    Not the point of the thread.

    Who would you like to see them pursue in free agency?

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DaveKim wrote: View Post
    I think that would be the best news we could have to get out of this situation. We have too many 2s already, DD, Ross, and Fields and not enough 3s (arguably no real 3s).

    With Fields on our roaster what would our starting line be? Do we force DD to play the 3? Or Fields? Or even Ross?
    Fields is not even a Raptor and you want to roast him already???

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,883
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Rush, yeah.

    I like him better than Fields, actually.
    @jerboat

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How about Pietrus?

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    How about Pietrus?
    I like Pietrus.

    I don't like his knee.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    never been a fan of pietrus. plus, haven't we tried to sign him like twice and failed. bad vibes
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I should have been more specific on the assumption of a free agent signing/pursuit.
    I think it's early to be pursuing a guy like Gay, Iguodala, Granger. This team is still about 3 years away from being competitive (as in, competing for a 4th to 6th playoff spot), which means any of those guys will either be starting the downsides of their respective careers, or will have reached a peak in their career where we just can't afford them (Bargnani, DeRozan, Ross, JV will all be looking for extensions by then). I think in 3 years time, we should be looking for a player who is at Rudy Gay's level today.

    Thoughts?
    your pal,
    ebrian

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    OJ Mayo is still in the bucket. I like Brandon Rush, same with Courtney Lee.

    Personally, I doubt NY matches, but like I said, we could offer a little less to a guy like Mayo.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I think it's early to be pursuing a guy like Gay, Iguodala, Granger. This team is still about 3 years away from being competitive (as in, competing for a 4th to 6th playoff spot), which means any of those guys will either be starting the downsides of their respective careers, or will have reached a peak in their career where we just can't afford them (Bargnani, DeRozan, Ross, JV will all be looking for extensions by then). I think in 3 years time, we should be looking for a player who is at Rudy Gay's level today.

    Thoughts?
    Gay is only 26. He's still got plenty of years left playing at a high level.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I think it's early to be pursuing a guy like Gay, Iguodala, Granger. This team is still about 3 years away from being competitive (as in, competing for a 4th to 6th playoff spot), which means any of those guys will either be starting the downsides of their respective careers, or will have reached a peak in their career where we just can't afford them (Bargnani, DeRozan, Ross, JV will all be looking for extensions by then). I think in 3 years time, we should be looking for a player who is at Rudy Gay's level today.

    Thoughts?
    Did you read the thread? Free agents only!

    Granted, most things out of my fingers the last 6 months have been Gay-related but no trades in this thead.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I think it's early to be pursuing a guy like Gay, Iguodala, Granger. This team is still about 3 years away from being competitive (as in, competing for a 4th to 6th playoff spot), which means any of those guys will either be starting the downsides of their respective careers, or will have reached a peak in their career where we just can't afford them (Bargnani, DeRozan, Ross, JV will all be looking for extensions by then). I think in 3 years time, we should be looking for a player who is at Rudy Gay's level today.

    Thoughts?
    I understand that line of thinking for Iggy or Granger, given their age. Gay will only be 27 next season, so he should have a solid 5 years left.

    Also, depending what happens with Orlando (Howard) and Atlanta, the Raps could have a decent shot at making the playoffs next season with the revamped roster (Valanciunas, Lowry, Ross, Fields, Acy, healthy Bargnani), let alone after the addition of a top-tier starting SF.

    Chicago (Rose), Orlando (Howard), Atlanta (Johnson/Williams), Philly (Brand/Iggy?) and Boston (Allen/older) all have big time questions heading into next season, leaving Miami & Indy as the surefire bets for the playoffs. NY and NJ will be competitive, but I would put Toronto into this top-10 discussion, ahead of the rest of the teams in the East. Depending what happens in Orlando, Atlanta and Philly, Toronto could be right in the thick of the playoff race next year, meaning the addition of a veteran starting SF would be extremely beneficial - not only for making the playoffs, but just showing the youngsters how to win.

    A guy like Rush (3pt shooting) would help balance the starting lineup. I think a guy like Mayo would be a great 2nd/3rd option after Fields, either to start at SG or play the same '6th man scorer' role he did in Memphis (or possibly even some time at backup PG, since he mentioned he'd like to play some PG at the end of the season).
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jul 12th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry, I didn't really answer the question. Here's some guys (or types of guys) I'd target:
    Thaddeus Young
    Michael Beasley (why not.. talent is there)
    Brandon Rush
    Wes Johnson
    Evan Turner

    Basically they're guys that might be at a Rudy Gay-ish level in 2-3 years. If they happen to reach close to that, then we are a 4th seed type of team at that point and a perennial playoff team. If not, then we're still a middling 7/8 seed that will be looking to sign a SF free agent.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •