Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: If the Knicks match Fields, what is plan B?

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I understand that line of thinking for Iggy or Granger, given their age. Gay will only be 27 next season, so he should have a solid 5 years left.

Also, depending what happens with Orlando (Howard) and Atlanta, the Raps could have a decent shot at making the playoffs next season with the revamped roster (Valanciunas, Lowry, Ross, Fields, Acy, healthy Bargnani), let alone after the addition of a top-tier starting SF. Chicago (Rose), Orlando (Howard), Atlanta (Johnson/Williams), Philly (Brand/Iggy?) and Boston (Allen/older) all have bigtime questions heading into next season, leaving Miami & Indy as the surefire bets for the playoffs. NY and NJ will be competitive, but I would put Toronto into the this top-10 discussion, ahead of the rest of the teams in the East. Depending what happens in Orlando, Atlanta and Philly, Toronto could be right in the thick of the playoff race next year, meaning the addition of a veteran start SF would be extremely beneficial - not only for making the playoffs, but just showing the youngsters how to win.
    I love your optimism and I don't completely disagree, but if we do make the playoffs next year it'll be one of these eked out berths where we'll be lucky to take 1 game in the series against Miami. Even with a very good veteran SF, there's too much inexperience on the team to do any damage in the first 1-2 years. You're still looking at a lineup of guys whose total experience adds up to barely more than that Vet's experience (JV=0, Ross=0, Acy=0, Fields=2, DeRozan=3, Bargnani=6) to Iguodala=9).

I do agree with learning how to win though, so either you bring in that young potential Rudy Gay type, or you bring in a savvy vet (if you can find one willing to play for this kind of team). Chances are though that same winning guy would prefer to play for a contender. I think we can learn how to win just fine by ourselves though, judging by the many ill-advised wins we pulled off towards the end of last season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Sorry, I didn't really answer the question. Here's some guys (or types of guys) I'd target:
    Thaddeus Young
    Michael Beasley (why not.. talent is there)
    Brandon Rush
    Wes Johnson
    Evan Turner

Basically they're guys that might be at a Rudy Gay-ish level in 2-3 years. If they happen to reach close to that, then we are a 4th seed type of team at that point and a perennial playoff team. If not, then we're still a middling 7/8 seed that will be looking to sign a SF free agent.
    I like Evan Turner, but it adds onto the shooting guard jam, especially he is going to be a guy needed to develop with playing time. The reason why people like Fields or Iggy is because those guys can play the 3. Rush is a guy who can play rotational minutes and all he'll have to do is shoot the ball.

Raptors Republic Rookie Phat Farmer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If NY matches Fields, what is your hope for plan B in free agency?

I for one am a big fan of OJ Mayo. I'm still puzzled why Memphis seemed to want to get rid of him for scrubs ( failed Indiana deal) and now have rescinded their QO making him unrestricted. Unless there are some underlying issues the public isn't privy too, I think he would be a solid addition to our team. He does alot of the stuff that we want Derozan to do and I feel has more potential going forward. If signing him allows us to peace out Derozan and acquire a SF, or if we have to try and play Derozan at the 3 to accomodate OJ, I'm all for it.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not many free agents left that I like. I say we keep the cap space in tact and make a trade at the deadline for a legit starter, since that's really what we need on this team.

Other option would be to get a decent 3rd string PG like Johnny Flynn. He won't get many minutes behind Lowry/Calderon, but I do expect Calderon to get hurt this season so I can see him getting some burn as the season is under way.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we have a jam at shooting guard. I think BC has attempted to stockpile talent at both SG/SF in the hopes that in 2-3 years when our team is on the cusp that one or two of those guys develops into a go-to type of player like a Rudy Gay, or Iguodala/Granger a couple years ago for Philly/Indy.

I don't necessarily see any one guy that plays either position on our team that is 100% going to be the guy there in 3 years. Evan Turner or any of those guys I listed could be, though. I'm willing to cough up some cash to find out.

One thing for sure is that JV will be the guy at C, Bargnani most likely will be the guy at PF, and Lowry will be the guy at PG. Those other two spots are up for grabs, and I hope we find the right guys to take them.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    One thing for sure is that JV will be the guy at C, Bargnani most likely will be the guy at PF, and Lowry will be the guy at PG. Those other two spots are up for grabs, and I hope we find the right guys to take them.
    From what BC and Casey have been saying in interviews/press conferences, Demar seems to be a locked up wing. Not a locked up shooting guard, or small forward, but he is a locked up player. If Fields signs here, it would be those two penciling in the starter positions, with Ross/Kleiza (would be surprised if JJ is still here on Training camp), and possibly Brandon Rush.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I was actually hoping to get Dorell Wright, but Philly beat us to it. I didn't follow GS a lot but I know he had a break out season in 10-11, what happened last year?

Thad young, CJ miles, Pietrus would be nice.
    Iggy, Granger, Gay (though i don't think he's on the market) would be ideal.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd also wonder it would take to get Wilson Chandler. i am still very high on him and Denver already has Gallo and aaron on the wings

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DaveKim wrote: View Post
    I was actually hoping to get Dorell Wright, but Philly beat us to it. I didn't follow GS a lot but I know he had a break out season in 10-11, what happened last year?

Thad young, CJ miles, Pietrus would be nice.
    Iggy, Granger, Gay (though i don't think he's on the market) would be ideal.
    We just drafted a better version of Dorell Wright.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DaveKim wrote: View Post
    I'd also wonder it would take to get Wilson Chandler. i am still very high on him and Denver already has Gallo and aaron on the wings
    I was high on him too, but the hip injury scares me. I'm not even sure when he's expected back. I basically viewed Fields as Chandler-lite, or as being able to develop into the same type of player - good defense, hustle guy, good outside shooter.

If Fields isn't signed and the Raps use trades to reach the cap, thus preserving their TPE & MLE, Chandler would fit into the TPE.

As for free agents (sorry Matt), there doesn't seem to be anybody other than Rush & Mayo garnering much consensus interest. Rush would likely be matched by GSW and RR readers seem to be split on Mayo. I wonder what the discussion would've been like about Fields, prior to us knowing BC was chasing him.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was high on him too, but the hip injury scares me. I'm not even sure when he's expected back. I basically viewed Fields as Chandler-lite, or as being able to develop into the same type of player - good defense, hustle guy, good outside shooter.

If Fields isn't signed and the Raps use trades to reach the cap, thus preserving their TPE & MLE, Chandler would fit into the TPE.

As for free agents (sorry Matt), there doesn't seem to be anybody other than Rush & Mayo garnering much consensus interest. Rush would likely be matched by GSW and RR readers seem to be split on Mayo. I wonder what the discussion would've been like about Fields, prior to us knowing BC was chasing him.
    No apologies needed - lol.

I have a feeling if Fields does not happen, free agency is shelved and trades become a full court press.

As for Fields, I know I made reference to him as did Apollo in the past. I don't think either one of us was thinking 3 years and $19M though!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen this anywhere else as the tweet is just 10 minutes old but Batum anyone?

Yannis Koutroupis ‏@YannisHW

Sources say the Timberwolves want to sign Lee outright, they arent interested in a sign-and-trade with the Houston Rockets.

Yannis Koutroupis Yannis Koutroupis ‏@YannisHW

Sources say the Timberwolves will go after Courtney Lee since Portland doesnt want to "play ball" in a potential Batum sign-and-trade.

One can only hope it is true and the relationship between Batum (and most likely more importantly his agent) and Portland front office is irreparable.

A Batum sign and trade would be a stellar plan B! (strictly talking free agency).

Post Thanks / Like

If Fields is matched by NYK and Calderon is traded, a new target just appeared...

chadfordinsider Chad Ford
    RT @BobcatsBballPR: Breaking @bobcats News: The team has withdrawn its qualifying offer to D.J. Augustin. He is now an unrestricted free...
    He'd be a decent backup PG replacement for Calderon.

Post Thanks / Like

If Fields is matched by NYK and Calderon is traded, a new target just appeared...

He'd be a decent backup PG replacement for Calderon.
    He is going to Indiana it appears.

Indiana were trying to engage CHA in s&t talks - now they won't have to.

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go after OJ Mayo right away if Fields offer gets matched. Mayo obviously doesn't fill the whole at the 3 spot but he's a very talented player who can create his own shot and facilitate for others. His strengths are our other wings weakness's. Mayo can even play PG in a pinch so finding him minutes would n't be an issue. Him on board would make DD a lot easier pill to swallow if moved and any combination of DD, JJ, Kleiza, Ed and Jose's expiring would likely return some very good talent. A combination of those players and you could be expecting returns such as Gay, Iggy, Granger or Deng to even out the roster. I'm all for collecting assets and flipping them for all-star caliber talent.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If Gay and Iggy are out of the question,

My list goes (in order) Batum, Rush, Lee, keep JJ and try to find a better option, Mayo, Pietrus.

Post Thanks / Like

At least that would make sense of the Collison trade to the Mavs. They paid a high price (Collison/Jones & salary) to get their backup C, after maxing out Hibbert!

Post Thanks / Like

That didn't take long... must have been same scenario as Bayless and Memphis.

chadfordinsider Chad Ford
    RT @MikeWellsNBA: Pacers have agreed to a 1 year deal with DJ Augustin, according to a source.

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OJ

If NY matches the offer sheet i think the Raps should go after O.J. Mayo...

He's a true SG that should make our team better....we can always move DD to the SF position (which i believe we're already doing). Ross would then get minutes at both SG and SF (backing up both OJ and Demar).

Raptors Republic Starter special1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote special1 wrote: View Post
    If NY matches the offer sheet i think the Raps should go after O.J. Mayo...

He's a true SG that should make our team better....we can always move DD to the SF position (which i believe we're already doing). Ross would then get minutes at both SG and SF (backing up both OJ and Demar).
    Plus he seems to be a pretty good defender and should fit in DC's system just fine

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information